At Home to Crystal Palace Saturday 14th Jan 3pm Kick off - London Stadium - Bring ya gum

Comments

• Cool. Cheers. ;ok

So was it 4-4-2 with Antonio up top?
  • Great 2nd half performance after a v dull first. The confidence looked better after the first goal a great 2nd and nice team goal for the 3rd . Antonio was great seeing as he was ill. So glad we did nt buy benteke he looked so poor for 32 million he makes our signings look good
  • I thought Antonio was more on the left than up front, but wasn't there so can't be sure ;hmm

Looked to me like we switched more to a 4-3-3 with Antonio getting closer to Carroll from the left, because Feghouli stayed on the right and I wouldn't say Lanzini was on the left of a midfield 4.

It was a good change, whatever happened.
  • Munich

We're 4th on MotD

Of course we are.

Surely, with everything that's gone on, this game carries a lot of interest.

Funny feeling that if this was 3-0 to Palace it may have been first up...
  • Seeing as three of the title chasers, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea played today I think 4th is the best slot we could have expected.
  • Lukerzzz, yep Antonio appeared to be pushed further forward.

To be honest they hardly caused us any problems, Tomkins had the best chance and should've scored but he may of seen it late, he then went missing down his right to help us with our goals as well, once a hammer, always a hammer ;wink

First half was hard working but a lot of huff and puff with very little end product from either side.

Andy Carroll put in quite possibly his best all round performance for us (and that includes the AFC hat trick) IMO

It's just such a shame that he's been injured so much, because like collins and a few others he really does leave it all out there.

• Cool. Cheers. ;ok

So was it 4-4-2 with Antonio up top?

4-4-2 with Antonio more to the left hand side.
  • I thought that was the closest we've looked to relocating last season's attacking play, even in the first half when it wasn't coming off. The link-ups and the things they were trying were encouraging. Like a weight was lifted. Let's hope we can push on now and create some conditions that Kouyate and Ayew can relish coming back into.

Feghouli and Antonio looked much better with the team in a better spirit. Hopefully al of our signings will benefit.
  • Great win and a very good second-half performance. All we need is now 5 more wins for another season in EPL or 15 more for Europe. Come on Irons! Now who was this guy Payet?
  • That volley though.

Amazing goal.

And Antonio's pass for the third was brilliant, too, as was Lanzini's finish.

Very proud tonight
  • Of course, in the week where I decide to slate Antonio, and bemoan his decision-making and assist record, he goes and grabs three.

So all I can say Michail is.........

Happy to lend some advice. ;biggrin
  • I know what you mean Luke.

Ronaldo - 16 games - 2 assists
    Bale - 12 games - 2 assists
    Ozil - 20 games - 3 assists

Antonio - 18 minutes - 3 assists

;whistle
  • Loved Merson's reaction to Carroll's goal ;wahoo

• We are also closer to 7th place then 17th regardless of whether Everton win or not

Happy days
  • Yesterday was the best atmosphere since the Chelsea game the place was rocking by the time the third went it. Most enjoyable pl home game so far . Happy the see byram get on and thought feghouli looked good turned palace inside out more than once and I hope he stays
  • edited January 2017

And Antonio's pass for the third was brilliant

What, Antonio with a perfectly weighted slide rule, defence splitting pass? ;whistle ;wink
  • He was trying to shoot
  • I see Sam was back to his best (this is not meant to be a bringing up old ground post, just interesting comments like a lot of managers make).

They had two glorious chances to go 0-1 (I only saw one, which Tomkins saw incredibly late and was therefore more an instinctive shot than a genuine, thought through attempt) and then some half chances with the odd shot from outside the box.

He then said we gifted them all three goals. Really? I mean, really?

Am surprised at how poorly they've started under him.
  • They may well have started poorly under him but he will definitely have them be well clear of the drop zone before too long. No way that palace side is getting relegated under him
  • Lukerz, if you were a Palace fan watching that game, who would you blame for each of the goals? A serious question.

;hmm
  • They may well have started poorly under him but he will definitely have them be well clear of the drop zone before too long. No way that palace side is getting relegated under him

His got his work cut out more than he thought IMO ...
    To me they look toothless and yesterday offered really nothing, they actually IMO played as poor as any team I've seen this season
  • I think Luke's point is that Allardyce seems to suggest that our goals had nothing to do with our build up play or execution, but we're simply down to Palace mistakes.

Yes, Hennessey make a couple of ill-judged rushes, but all of our goals were the result of excellent passes (Noble to Antonio for the first, Cresswell to Lanzini for the second and Antonio to Lanzini for the third) and some outstanding finishing.
  • edited January 2017
    ;hmm

I mean the first you could name the goalkeeper, who I think is a dreadful keeper and can't believe he plays in the PL. His goal-kick led to the passage of play which led to Nobes chipping in Antonio, and then he comes rushing out and makes it relatively easy for us to score.

Second goal is just a moment of quality. Ok, there is no pressure/challenge on him, and too much space for Antonio to cross, but they were 1-0 down with10 left. The game was always going to be more open.

The third I'd blame nobody. You're 2-0 down with 5 left looking for a goal back to create a grand stand finish. Get caught on the break from your attacking play (was it a corner?).

I just think if you look at games they are a lot more complicated than just blaming players. With Sam, it's always didn't score chances + didn't defend well = reason why we lost. I mean you could say that about every defeat in the history of football.
  • Lukerz ;ok

Agree with all of that.

I think had it been the other way round we may have seen some fans saying that the keeper is at fault for the first, the rightback doesn't close down the crosser (imagine it was Nordtveit), and that the third was the whole team capitulating. But I don't necessarily think those things are enough to blame the players anyway
  • Allerdyce doesn't appear to have improved them much in defence which surprises me.

They now also lack Pardews attack instinct.

Whilst the first half was even we battered them in the second, we had another plan, they did not.

If you set up to draw and then concede you have no were to go.

They are in trouble.

• I just think if you look at games they are a lot more complicated than just blaming players.

Couldn't agree more ;ok
  • Can I just sat that I don't care who was at fault.

It was a great day all round.

;wahoo
  • Can I just sat that I don't care who was at fault.

It was a great day all round.

;wahoo

It really was. I had pizza followed by apple crumble and custard ;wahoo
  • For every goal you can blame players for not doing something. If a midfielder scores from 40 yards out, you could say the defender should have closed him down quicker, etc.

Let's just enjoy the fact we didn't concede and scored goals!
This discussion has been closed.