New super league

This discussion was created from comments split from: Couldn't think....part 4.

Comments

• Apparently sky reports a breakaway super league just as we are close to the CL
  • Of the big 6 join they must be booted from the PL but money talks
  • Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal,Chelsea and Dpurs have signed up. City undecided.
  • I think they should automatically relegated all 6 clubs to conference south as punishment it’s only fair
  • edited April 2021

GNev so passionate, talking sense on Sky. Imo

Actually, it's a mega rant ... fantastic :lol:

He's incandescent.
  • GNev brilliant. Throw everyone out of the premier league. We could be champions in a month's time!
  • Pl have apparently id they'll throw all the 'signed up' clubs out of the PL.
  • I won't subscribe to watch it and line their pockets...ooh, they'll think twice now!
  • edited April 2021
    Did anyone really not see this coming?

Liverpool owned by Fenway Sports Group founded by John W. Henry & Thomas C. Werner (Septics)
    Arsenal owned by Stan Kroenke (Septic)
    Manure owned by Joel and Avram Glazer (Septics)
    Chelsea owned by Roman Abramovich (Russian "businessman")
    Spuds owned by Joe Lewis (tax exile who teamed up with George Soros to bet on the pound crashing out of the European ERM)

And anyway, how do Spuds qualify for being a big 6 team?
  • Gary Neville absolutely spot on. Brilliant rant.

Suggests deducting them all points - we could be in a title race by next weekend...

In all serious, it's an absolute disgrace and beyond repulsive. But so predictable at the same time.

• Suggests deducting them all points - we could be in a title race by next weekend...

It could require another profile picture change for you
  • Superb from G nev
  • Surely they wouldn't just kick the teams out. At least I hope not, as that would leave Leeds in 4th position, ready for European football next year.
    But a points deduction on top of that court case UEFA are sorting out. 15 points or so would do nicely!
  • Six English teams were at the front of the que and there were no German teams signed up. Solidarity seems like a difficult concept for us it seems. Again.

My thoughts are that this idea raises it's head every now and again and never gets off the ground, I suspect it will be the case again this time.

I personally would make changes to European competition. The first one would be to make the Europa league a two leg knockout competition rather than leagues. The Champions league needs a slightly different format. For instance there should be less teams. How does the Premiership have four places to a Champions league ? what exactly was the 4th team a champion of? I would say top two from the big leagues and winners from the lesser leagues.

It is often the case that getting into the Europa league can cause problems to teams that can't afford big squads of quality players due to fixture pile up, where as a knock out comp would be much easier to manage together with their domestic campaigns.
  • If FIFA, EUFA, The FA and the PL are in agreement, as they initially appear to be, about being against this breakaway then it could be difficult for it to take off. Players excluded from international football, clubs thrown out of leagues are two things that come to mind.
  • C&B your idea has got no chance EUFA plans make the cups even bigger with the CL in two leagues where clubs play 10 games. Places also available for clubs who don’t qualify via their league position but who have been in it before.
  • Purely money motivated. Let them all do it & remove them from their domestic leagues. Simple.
  • edited April 2021
    "Bundesliga sides are opposed to the plans because the German model means commercial investors cannot have more than a 49% stake in clubs, so fans hold a majority of their own voting rights." From the BBC.
  • Give them all a 30 point deduction, us vs Leicester for the title
  • Kane will never win a trophy if Spurs go into this. 😂
  • The gall of Arsenal - right now an incredibly average Premier League team, struggling to be mid-table - might be funniest of all about this.

Their fans must be so embarrassed.
  • It's the only way for Arsenal and Spurs to get into the main European competition. It's not sour grapes about West Ham doing well. It's outrageous even if I was a Stockport supporter. Kick them out the premier league and let them get their money elsewhere. And when the rest of the English, French and German fans aren't signing up for pay per view it'll all go pair shaped ( I naively hope )
  • Its sad and i am disgusted but im no less surprised at the end of the day football has become a business and by a business standpoint clubs can probably make double even triple what they earn from playing in the PL by playing in the Super league.

What a sad day for football though. Some of the top 6 club fans dont get it either, the super league is the beginning wait till your "Liverpool or Man Utd" home games start being played in Saudi Arabia / USA / China. Even after half your games are now at venues spread across Europe.
  • Jorderz, they will just see it as confirmation that they are always seen as a big six club regardless of whatever shambles they may be in.
  • To be fair, supporters' groups from all six have come out against it. Even their own fans are embarrassed and angry.

It's purely the owners. GNev is right - there needs to be some kind of independent body that safeguards clubs, fans and leagues from greedy individuals.
  • Meanwhile, I'm going to chuck a sneaky fiver on us winning the league, just in case some points deductions do happen...
  • Hamstew said:

Superb from G nev

Are you referring to the bit where he said “Tottenham, I’m not bothered about them”? 😂
  • Its sad and i am disgusted but im no less surprised at the end of the day football has become a business and by a business standpoint clubs can probably make double even triple what they earn from playing in the PL by playing in the Super league.

What a sad day for football though. Some of the top 6 club fans dont get it either, the super league is the beginning wait till your "Liverpool or Man Utd" home games start being played in Saudi Arabia / USA / China. Even after half your games are now at venues spread across Europe.

Will they make that much? If they are thrown out of their respective leagues they will have a 22 match season.

I must say I'm a little surprised that Man City are entertaining joining in, I thought they were better than that.
  • Great credit to GNev for saying what he said as I never thought I would hear him criticise Manchester United.
  • IronHerb said:

Its sad and i am disgusted but im no less surprised at the end of the day football has become a business and by a business standpoint clubs can probably make double even triple what they earn from playing in the PL by playing in the Super league.

Will they make that much? If they are thrown out of their respective leagues they will have a 22 match season.

I must say I'm a little surprised that Man City are entertaining joining in, I thought they were better than that.
    Easily. They would not form this super league without back ended guarantees from broadcasting companies who would pay a massive wedge to get behind such a project. More than the PL money. There are more fans globally that support the top 6 than every other English team in the pyramid combined. The Overseas revenue would absolutely dwarf what the PL would then make. Sky isn't going to sign a multi billion dollar deal to showcase Norwich vs Burnley.