New super league

Comments

• Word of the day is ‘ingordigiousness’: extreme greed; an insatiable desire for wealth at any cost.
  • Interestingly, Klopp's on record as saying he'd be against this kind of super league. Given his bosses have now signed up to it, will be do the decent thing and walk?

If he had any integrity, you'd like to think he would.

Well the Bayern job is as good as his so there is an easy out for him.
  • Interestingly, Klopp's on record as saying he'd be against this kind of super league. Given his bosses have now signed up to it, will be do the decent thing and walk?

Well the Bayern job is as good as his so there is an easy out for him.
    The talk seems to be that Bayern will join the Super League in due course, so I'm not sure it's all that easy given his views on the competition.

Would love to see Bayern or PSG stand up for what's right, but unfortunately I can see both joining the league if it goes ahead.
  • I thought Bayern (and other German teams) couldn't because fans own 51%, and they won't go for it.

I hope not, one of the most entertaining things in football is watching Klopp erupt when Liverpool fail
  • I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more one-sided Monday morning football discussion. I’ve not read a single comment for it. It’s good to see all fans showing this kind of solidarity against this. The owners have totally mis-judged the strong feeling for OUR game. I’d rather watch a competitive game at the local park, than support a bunch of highly-paid footballers strutting their stuff in a highly paid exhibition - I’ll call it this because to me a league suggests to me promotion, relegation, and some sort of “pyramid system”.

Prompt, definitive action is demanded from UEFA, FIFA, PL and the FA!
  • Didn't Robert Kraft, the owner of the New England Patriots, when asked about owning an English Premier League team say he would never buy a "franchise" which had relegation as a factor?

Simply can't let this happen even though they have tried it before although they appear to have pushed it a bit more this time. It's a way to hive off more money for them & try to preserve what they believe is their god given right to be at the top table every season. What chance have the likes of Leicester or Atalanta for example got of going into Europe if they get their wish of a closed shop.

Perez saying we are responding to the wishes of four billion fans!!!
  • Alledgedly Mourinho has been sacked partly because of his opposition to super league. Fair play to him of true!
  • Fortune

I think you are right. These has all been crafted with the US sporting model at its heart. The NFL is a closed shop for a sport no-one else in the world plays.

This is basically a zero relegation franchise system except that the franchisees are already known owners.

The message is, if you want to be a “fan” of a club at the highest level, these are your choices - go ahead and pick one.
  • I thought Bayern (and other German teams) couldn't because fans own 51%, and they won't go for it.

Yeah, I've read that quite a bit over the course of the morning, but I've also read that they've agreed to join.

I'd be surprised if they didn't, to be honest, but hopefully they'll do the decent thing and stay away.
  • I'm curious what Guardiola thinks about this, as somebody who has treasured the Champions League and who has just got City to another semi-final. Which has now been completely devalued by the ESL announcement.

He seems like a guy with integrity, too. Would love him and Klopp and other managers to walk away in protest...
  • Just read that Jorderz and came on to post it.

Really pleased to see that. Hopefully they stick to it.
  • I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more one-sided Monday morning football discussion. I’ve not read a single comment for it. It’s good to see all fans showing this kind of solidarity against this. The owners have totally mis-judged the strong feeling for OUR game. I’d rather watch a competitive game at the local park, than support a bunch of highly-paid footballers strutting their stuff in a highly paid exhibition - I’ll call it this because to me a league suggests to me promotion, relegation, and some sort of “pyramid system”.

Prompt, definitive action is demanded from UEFA, FIFA, PL and the FA!

Checked some of the top 6 fan forums. A lot of them trying to spin it as a good move because of hatred against UEFA the FA and FIFA
  • Disappointed the PL haven't already chucked them out and slapped them all with the biggest fines in football history.
  • Disappointed the PL haven't already chucked them out and slapped them all with the biggest fines in football history.

cost them points, lots of points and now #champions

The Premier League hasn't chucked them out because they are the teams that get the big audiences on global TV.

You don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs just because it doesn't want to stay on the farm

Just like all the previous attempts to form a Super League this won't happen unless UEFA and FIFA want it to happen
  • Ander Herrera is the first current player I've seen that has spoken out against the Super League. Ok, it's easier when your cub isn't involved, but hopefully it's the first of many.

• As a starter couldn't the PL just announce that like being cup tied any player registered or playing within the ESL would be league tied and not allowed to play in any PL games.

Players must be registered at the start of a season for the league they are going to be playing in.

5 point automatic deduction for any team in which a player plays for their non-registered team.

Plus the England team would only be made up of players playing solely within English Football leagues.

The Premier League hasn't chucked them out because they are the teams that get the big audiences on global TV.

You don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs just because it doesn't want to stay on the farm

Just like all the previous attempts to form a Super League this won't happen unless UEFA and FIFA want it to happen
    That's fine but you need to call the bluff because the two leagues are not compatible. If clubs go ahead with the ESL then it irreparably damages the PL and the football league.

So just letting them do this is the same as kicking them out, which is why the PL needs to show some backbone.

You cannot have these clubs dictating to world football like this. And when I say clubs, I mean six owners.
  • Am I right in thinking it's not really a breakaway league - the clubs are proposing to continue to play in the domestic league and cups... but just adding an additional competition .. bit like the club world cup?
  • MrsGrey said:

Am I right in thinking it's not really a breakaway league - the clubs are proposing to continue to play in the domestic league and cups... but just adding an additional competition .. bit like the club world cup?

correct, but will take money way from UEFA FIFA etc
  • Mrs G,

That's correct, but I think the issue is that it intrinsically damages the values of the local leagues (where Champions League qualification is no longer relevant) and obviously the Champions League itself.

It will force a huge % of the money in football into the pockets of a select group of clubs, to the harm of all smaller clubs who rely on PL/Champions League money filtering through the leagues.
  • Yes, not disputing that. Just seeking a bit of clarity, and wasn't sure why it was being called a breakaway league.

Am certainly not trying to defend it!!
  • Ah, understood. I suppose it's a breakaway from the Champions League?
  • sky news just had a hot take from a board member of one of the big 6, basically they are powerless to stop it, the owners would welcome players banned from international teams, evening being kicked from the PL is no concern and that their job is to look after their club and profits not the health of the game, very American view
  • So what exactly are the big 6 now competing for other than the premier League title itself? If Man City are clear like this season do the others field reserves and then their main team for the super League?
  • edited April 2021
    Moojor said:

Plus the England team would only be made up of players playing solely within English Football leagues.

That would exclude English players in the Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga and any other foreign leagues. Why?

That's fine but you need to call the bluff because the two leagues are not compatible. If clubs go ahead with the ESL then it irreparably damages the PL and the football league.

So just letting them do this is the same as kicking them out, which is why the PL needs to show some backbone.

You cannot have these clubs dictating to world football like this. And when I say clubs, I mean six owners.

The Premier League is made up of the 20 clubs currently in it, any action by the PL would need all 14 clubs not involved to vote for it.

They know that future TV money will be drastically reduced without the top six and to continue the farmyard analogies turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

As Mrs Grey said its not a breakaway league, its an alternative to the Champions League where the clubs would still play in their own domestic leagues which UEFA and the national FAs are never going to agree to.

the owners would welcome players banned from international teams, evening being kicked from the PL is no concern and that their job is to look after their club and profits not the health of the game, very American view

Owners might welcome players banned from internationals but would the players?

From everything I've read this is proposed by Real Madrid's chairman rather than an American thing