New super league

Comments

• Hamstew said:

Apparently if the big six get kicked out we go 9 points clear at the top.

I don’t understand? Do you mean because all results involving them so far would be voided?
  • FIFA, UEFA, Premier League, English, Spanish and Italian FAs all against it

Bayern Munich and PSG not interested

This is no different from all the previous attempts to create a "Super League", a lot of fuss over nothing
  • That might stop Rice leaving, though, if he might not be able to play international football anymore.
    Although I dare say there will need to be sole kind of period in which they can as players such as Kane who has a contract at Spurs can't surely be punished for something his club did. But any player who joins them now should be carefull and weigh up his options.
  • That might stop Rice leaving, though, if he might not be able to play international football anymore.
    Although I dare say there will need to be sole kind of period in which they can as players such as Kane who has a contract at Spurs can't surely be punished for something his club did. But any player who joins them now should be carefull and weigh up his options.

You mean like playing for Spurs is punishment enough 👍🏻
  • One thing I am wondering about. What if the players themselves didn’t want to do it? For example if it meant being banned from the World Cup? Could they then just walk out? Could Kane, say, rip up his contract and leave Spurs for example?
  • I don't believe the PL will kick them out, because then the value of the TV contracts will massively reduce.
    But if the FA and FIFa and Uefa say that they aren't going to accommodate the schedule of super league midweek matches, and the 6 clubs will still have to meet their obligations... What then? Will the SL clubs have to have massively bigger squads so they can play 2 matches on 1 day? Will they put out a kids team in one of the comps... Just trying to think through how it might work in practice.
  • One thing I am wondering about. What if the players themselves didn’t want to do it? For example if it meant being banned from the World Cup? Could they then just walk out? Could Kane, say, rip up his contract and leave Spurs for example?

I'm not sure it would affect players in that way? If FIFa don't recognize the club does that mean that their players can't be picked for a national team? Not sure how player registration/ licensing works...
  • Also how will FFP now work. Will the mechanism allow for clubs to include their SL income and therefore allow them to hoover up even more of the better players at the expense of other clubs?
  • Also Uefa have their own champs league they would have to fold that first. Squad sizes are already a thing.
  • MrsGrey said:

I don't believe the PL will kick them out, because then the value of the TV contracts will massively reduce.

This is my concern. Money talks - that's literally the whole point of the Super League, after all - so the PL couldn't afford to lose their biggest cash cows. And let's not forget that the rest of the football pyramid is reliant on a successful PL for money.

But for the integrity of the game, they have to. Clubs should not be able to dictate where and when they play. And there's zero consideration for the fans; in the midst of a global pandemic where some people have lost almost everything - loved one, jobs, their homes - football may have been the one thing that has kept some fans going; and now they've been betrayed by their selfish, greedy owners.

The first thing these clubs should have done in this farcical process is put it to the fans. If there was not enough interest, then there was no commitment to join.

I like the noises coming out of the PL, the FA, UEFA and the ECA, but I'm not convinced they'll follow through on any of it. If the Dirty Dozen are allowed to do this without punishment, the game's gone.
  • MrsGrey said:

I don't believe the PL will kick them out, because then the value of the TV contracts will massively reduce.

The first thing these clubs should have done in this farcical process is put it to the fans. If there was not enough interest, then there was no commitment to join.
    They know from previous attempts that their own fans don’t want it, they don’t care about that. I really think they are just using this as a weapon in their bid to make the champions league more profitable to them
  • Also, they clearly don’t care about the players either. The proposal is for two groups of ten with home and away fixtures against each other. That means a minimum of 56 matches per season - and that’s assuming they drop out of the domestic cups. The coaches already complain about injuries and schedules and workloads, and now their clubs are pushing this.
  • Disgraceful

They get €400mil apparantly just for accepting the invitation .....How are any clubs going to compete

If it does go ahead....hope that the Prem forbid transfers between the "6" and the rest of the league, or implement a huge tax like they do in the Chinese league so clubs will have to spend 100% or 200% on top of what they pay

I hope that the players boycott the game too, this isn't football and this isn't what makes football great

Everyone loves when the big guys play each other as its pretty exclusive event (as in the draw dictates who plays who), they need to earn it to set the games up....but everyone loves an underdog and this completely removes the underdog in world football

Absolutely appalling behaviour from the "brand clubs"

Even if this falls through hope the clubs invovled are all punished appropriately, fines, points deductions, transfer bans...the whole works as this is a blackmail device used to go against the sustainable running of football clubs
  • edited April 2021
    alderz said:

Also, they clearly don’t care about the players either. The proposal is for two groups of ten with home and away fixtures against each other. That means a minimum of 56 matches per season - and that’s assuming they drop out of the domestic cups. The coaches already complain about injuries and schedules and workloads, and now their clubs are pushing this.

And, of course, the extra time players will have to spend away from their families. Playing domestically on the weekend, travelling across Europe for a midweek game and travelling back for the next domestic game.

The more I think about it, the more implausible it seems. Unless they want to be expelled by their domestic leagues 🤔
  • these games will be played across the world, travel to China for a mid week game, lets spread more viruses, fans at the home clubs are an afterthought
  • I don't think it will be spread worldwide. If I understood the info correctly then it will be just the final that is played at a neutral venue.
  • Could well be a negotiation tactic to get more of a percentage of UEFA money from Champions Leauge.
  • They should be fined/relegated regardless of whether it’s a negotiating tactic and whether or not it goes through. You can’t do this.
  • It's tantamount to blackmail. Give us want we want or we'll take our ball home.

If, as I think every genuine football fan (and I mean fan of the game, regardless of club affiliation) wants, this doesn't go ahead, the clubs involved should absolutely still be punished.
  • The above table just shows how good a season we are having as traditionally these are the matches we make a mess of!
  • edited April 2021
    Would be so funny if all 6 are banned from the Premier League, the ESL flops, they all come begging back and have to do a Rangers and start from the bottom. Might make for a few interesting seasons, as, once they get up to the National League, only 2 go up, so that could add another 2 seasons to the climb back up for 2 of them.
  • It's tantamount to blackmail. Give us want we want or we'll take our ball home.

If, as I think every genuine football fan (and I mean fan of the game, regardless of club affiliation) wants, this doesn't go ahead, the clubs involved should absolutely still be punished.

Completely agree. I don't understand why we haven't heard from the leagues/UEFA/FIFA with sanctions already.

Don't even wait to engage in conversation with this. Punish them, humiliate them, then talk.
  • By signing these letters of intent behind the backs of the PL they are surely in breach of something and therefore can be punished however the PL chooses?
  • They will want to talk this through with their lawyers first as it is certain that the clubs involved will sue if they get kicked out of any comps. Not sure they wouldn't just take a fine as their income will increase dramatically so they will know they got off lightly and pay up.

But regardless, Sheffield United will have another court case coming up as the only reason they got relegated is because the Prem didn't kick out the clubs involved in that coup. 🤣

It could be quite a long wait before we find out this year who goes into Europe.
  • Interestingly, Klopp's on record as saying he'd be against this kind of super league. Given his bosses have now signed up to it, will be do the decent thing and walk?

If he had any integrity, you'd like to think he would.
  • Some great comments from David Bernstein (ex Man City Chairman), taken from BBC news feed:

"I'm ashamed. I've supported Manchester City all my life. It's a club I love. But I'm really ashamed, as I know Gary Neville has said he is about his old club Manchester United, and I think Jamie Carragher and Liverpool.

"I'm ashamed as clubs with that history should have great responsibility to the rest of the game."

"I think there are two things in play here: one is greed and the other is desperation.

"And it's because some of these clubs have incurred enormous debt. I believe certainly Barcelona and Real Madrid, and I think at least one of the English clubs, are approaching £1bn of debt.

"I think they're in a desperate situation. One of the things they haven't done during the pandemic is to impose some sort of wages control. They've got themselves into a bit of a predicament."

"It's a lifeline that I think's only going to end, if it happens at all, very badly.

"Because a closed league, as they're proposing, without promotion and relegation, without recognition of the rest of the game, is potentially a dead league.

"It won't have the life of football as we understand it. I think the arrogance of these half a dozen English clubs is something to behold."