New super league

Comments

• I wouldn’t be that sure that a global fan base would be interested in the long term in a competition which actually isn’t a competition because no other clubs are allowed in and existing clubs cannot be relegated?
  • I think the appeal of such a league is hugely debatable. Madrid vs Liverpool or Barcelona vs Man City or any other permutation is special precisely because it doesn't come around very often.

Them all playing each other every midweek will become dull very quickly.

And that's not even taking into account that fans of other clubs will boycott this competition on a massive scale.

There's a reason the PL is the most watched and most lucrative league in the world - it's because of the uncertainty, the upsets and the great stories of small clubs like Wigan and Blackpool and others making a splash.

That's real entertainment, not a weekly Madrid-Barca-City-United snoozefest.
  • edited April 2021
    Considering some American Football teams make more money than Premier League teams i very much believe that a global fan base would still pay the bucks. You only have to throw in a sweetner of. "Beijing to host Liverpool vs Juventus" "Florida to host Barcelona vs Manchester City" and they will gobble it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes'_list_of_the_most_valuable_sports_teams
  • What annoys me is they clearly have no intention of going ahead with it, but it will end up being a negotiation tactic for the reformed Champions League. Surely if you don’t like it, don’t take part.
  • It's a complete non starter if the German and French clubs don't join anyhow. The smaller European teams are not going to leave their domestic leagues to becoming the whipping boys of a Super League so you would have the teams that have Signed up so far fighting it out between themselves.
  • I've thought about it for the past hour or so and basically I don't really care. Not interested in this league at all. I have Sky and BT but don't watch every game. I'd be totally uninterested and couldn't care less. Let them play in their cup and we'll play in ours, where the true supporters follow.
  • With the teams that are signed up, you might as well just rename the Europa league knockout rounds and you have the same tournament. All washed out clubs scrambling for relevance.
  • What a shambles.
    Whatever happens, the six named English clubs have a damaged reputation now.
  • Well, the owners do ..
  • Spurs in a super league.....hahaha, lolololololol, hahahahahahahahaha.....c..a...n...t....b....r...e... a...t....h....e......hahahahahhahahaha
  • Moojor, and they would be bottom of it. 😀
  • Only way they will keep Kane lol
  • i thought the announcement was supposed to have been now ? have they bottled it ?
  • Wouldn't be surprised if they'd massively bottled it.

I hope the PL have prepared their own statement mentioning immediate fines/point deductions though, just in case.
  • England - Non-Banned 11 ?

Pope

Justin / Mings / Coady / Cresswell

Grealish / Ward Prowse / Rice / Maddison

Calvert Lewin / Watkins
  • England - Non-Banned 11 ?

Pope

Justin / Mings / Coady / Cresswell

Grealish / Ward Prowse / Rice / Maddison

Calvert Lewin / Watkins

Surely Sancho and Bellingham make the squad
  • Forgot Dortmund is in the No camp too :)
  • Forgot Dortmund is in the No camp too :)

Pope; Justin Keane Coady Cresswell; Rice Bellingham; Sancho Maddison Grealish; Calvert-Lewin

#It’sComingHome
  • I can’t see that this will ever happen tbh. I know they’ve all agreed, but the powers that he can scupper it pretty easily
  • Fine them and deduct points/relegate them. I'd love to see all six booted into the Championship and six Championship teams promoted. Then we'd see how much they all value the Premier League.

It feels basically like a negotiating tactic to solidify their places in the Champions League, but they need to be heavily, heavily punished.

Otherwise they'll just keep bringing this up every year.
  • they really have not thought this through have they lol
  • Itfeels basically like a negotiating tactic to solidify their places in the Champions League

This is definitely it. This is just to try and change the CL into something else.

I agree they should all be punished, but I’m not sure what rules they’ve broken by signing a letter? I think it will fizzle out just like project big picture.

What I really can’t understand is the American ownership thing. If they want to just have the best teams playing against each other, why aren’t they just buying MLS clubs and buying the bets players? I don’t get it
  • alderz said:

Itfeels basically like a negotiating tactic to solidify their places in the Champions League

I agree they should all be punished, but I’m not sure what rules they’ve broken by signing a letter? I think it will fizzle out just like project big picture.
    There’s a PL rule that you aren’t allowed to enter your teams into any competitions apart from the established ones eg FA Cup, Champions League etc.

But yeah, I suppose if they’ve just signed a letter then you could argue they haven’t entered it.

Still, I’d throw the book at them.
  • haha notice the "Neutral Venue" at the end for some games. Beijing / Abu Dhabi / Saudia Arabia / Bahrain / USA calling.
  • edited April 2021
    This may be a contentious thing to say, so forgive me if I upset anyone, but.......

I believe some owners have used the pandemic, where there have been no fans in the stadiums, as a tester. i.e, can they still make money when there are no fans in the stadium, and the thousands that would pay to be in the stadium turn into millions paying to watch on TV., buying replica shirts, etc.

Most of real fans will not be able to afford to go to more than a couple of away games in a season (if that!), We could then be in the situation where there are few away fans in the stadium, which IMO, is a big part of the game. I hope they all get punished/thrown out. We may see more “from the ashes” clubs like AFC Wimbledon.

On the plus side we might win a trophy!🤞⚒
  • Apparently if the big six get kicked out we go 9 points clear at the top.
  • This may be a contentious thing to say, so forgive me if I upset anyone, but.......

I believe some owners have viewed the pandemic, and knowing there have been no fans in the stadiums, as an opportunity. i.e, can they still make money when there are no fans in the stadium, and the thousands that would pay to be in the stadium turn into millions paying to watch on TV, buying replica shirts, etc.

Most of real fans will not be able to afford to go to more than a couple of away games in a season (if that!), We could then be in the situation where there are few away fans in the stadium, which IMO, is a big part of the game. I hope they all get punished/thrown out. We may see more “from the ashes” clubs like AFC Wimbledon.

On the plus side we might win a trophy!🤞⚒