New super league

Comments

• ASLEF,

The value of the PL will be drastically diminished if the Super League goes ahead anyway, so I'm not sure what your point is about the rest of the clubs not wanting to kick the big six out.
  • MNF will be fun tonight. Leeds v Liverpool with Neville and Jamie C in the studio.
  • I reckon if the players were less greedy we might not be in the situation we are in now.
  • One way or another this will completely ruin football as we know it in this country. Either the 6 clubs involved will be banned from all domestic competitions, hugely weakening what would be left of the Premier League, or they're allowed to remain in the Premier League at a huge, unfair and permanent advantage over every other club in the country. The advantage they already have with the current format of the Champions League is almost self perpetuating anyway, (and it set to be made even stronger given the new format that was expected to be announced today) but it would be even more so with the formation of the ESL.
  • The Super League isn't going to go ahead so why do anything?

Football is a business, kicking out your top attractions is not good business sense.
  • The Super League isn't going to go ahead so why do anything?

Football is a business, kicking out your top attractions is not good business sense.

Because attempts at blackmail should be punished.
  • Moojor said:

Plus the England team would only be made up of players playing solely within English Football leagues.

That would exclude English players in the Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga and any other foreign leagues. Why?
    Well to be honest, it was just off the top of my head to stop players in this new ESL from being in the England squad. So change that to only players in sanctioned leagues eligible to play.
    They can then list all the leagues and just omit the ESL from the list.
  • Hamstew said:

So what exactly are the big 6 now competing for other than the premier League title itself? If Man City are clear like this season do the others field reserves and then their main team for the super League?

You'd effectively have a B team in the PL, I guess. The ESL would be their priority, and with a 38 game regular season (assuming they get their 20 teams) plus knock out rounds, there's no way their 'first teams' can compete in two leagues in parallel like that.

So I imagine Man City would effectively have two teams; their best players competing for the ESL title and the rest playing in the PL with nothing at stake. Will be interesting whether the ESL would have squad limits like in the PL; something makes me think not.
  • Ander Herrera is the first current player I've seen that has spoken out against the Super League. Ok, it's easier when your cub isn't involved, but hopefully it's the first of many.

Fornals retweeted Herrera's comments so I guess you could say he's indirectly spoken out...
  • Its not blackmail, its a business move.

La Liga aren't going to kick out Real Madrid, Barcelona or Atletico, Serie A aren't going to kick out AC Milan, Inter or Juventus and the Premier League aren't going to kick out the Big 6 because they will lose out financially.

Similarly UEFA will never agree to the Super League because it will impact on their finances
  • Its not blackmail, its a business move.

La Liga aren't going to kick out Real Madrid, Barcelona or Atletico, Serie A aren't going to kick out AC Milan, Inter or Juventus and the Premier League aren't going to kick out the Big 6 because they will lose out financially.

Similarly UEFA will never agree to the Super League because it will impact on their finances

UEFA aren't required to agree - the whole point is to move away from UEFA entirely.

Those leagues will lose money if they kick out their biggest teams, but they will lose money if they don't and allow the ESL to go ahead.

So they should be punished for even attempting this.

It is an attempt at blackmail - they want to force UEFA into giving them more power and money or they will leave and create their own league where they take every other's clubs money for themselves.
  • Of course it is blackmail.

They want more power and money and permanent immunity from relegation

I would say that possibly the biggest thing that has got people angry is the absence of any sort of sporting merit.
  • I don't know how true this is :
  • Of course it is blackmail.

They want more power and money and permanent immunity from relegation

I would say that possibly the biggest thing that has got people angry is the absence of any sort of sporting merit.

That and the lack of respect for the fans. To follow your team in the ESL you'd have to be able to afford to travel to Europe every other week. Wouldn't be possible for 90% of the fanbase.
  • Europe, OCS?

These games will often be in Abu Dhabi, Seoul, Shanghai, etc etc

Much deeper pockets required

• edited April 2021

UEFA aren't required to agree - the whole point is to move away from UEFA entirely.

Those leagues will lose money if they kick out their biggest teams, but they will lose money if they don't and allow the ESL to go ahead.

It is an attempt at blackmail - they want to force UEFA into giving them more power and money or they will leave and create their own league where they take every other's clubs money for themselves.

The proposal is that there will be 15 permanent members and 5 selected each season on the basis of their performance in domestic and European football. That will not be possible without UEFA, Premier League and the three FAs agreement.

And so far they only have 12 clubs because Bayern, Dortmund and PSG aren't interested.

It's a bluff and UEFA, etc. have called it. Form your Super League and we'll ban the lot of you

It is not going to happen
  • Hopefully you're right Aslef.

Would you sanction those involved at all?
  • Conspirators should be punished regardless of whether their conspiracy bears fruit or not.

That’s my opinion.

The greed, the arrogance and the absolute poison of it are a disgrace to anybody who has ever paid £10 or £30 or £100 of their hard-earned wages to see their club play, knowing that club will never win the league or the Champions League but having a crazy dream once in a while just in case.
  • edited April 2021

The proposal is that there will be 15 permanent members and 5 selected each season on the basis of their performance in domestic and European football. That will not be possible without UEFA, Premier League and the three FAs agreement.

And so far they only have 12 clubs because Bayern, Dortmund and PSG aren't interested.

It's a bluff and UEFA, etc. have called it. Form your Super League and we'll ban the lot of you

It is not going to happen
    all of them have resigned as board members in one form or another to the ECA this is going to happen unless they massive U-Turn with some of the most insane PR to trump what we have already seen.
  • Hopefully you're right Aslef.

What for? They haven't actually done anything yet, they've just made a proposal. They can't do anything without cooperation from FIFA, etc. and FIFA, etc. have said a very definite "no".

It's nothing new, Real Madrid president Florentino Pérez has rehashed something he originally proposed in 2009 but there were discussions in 2016 and of course Berlusconi's proposal back in 1997.

None of the clubs involved back then were sanctioned then so why should this time be any different?
  • I would like to see some sort of statement by the leagues involved. The Prem, La Liga and Serie A should all punish the ringleaders and should do it in a sort of manner that doesn't favour the members of a certain league.
    Then, UEFA should ban the twelve from European football next near just for the attempt. Sure, that would probably meam that Bayer or PSG win the CL but honestly, I don't care.

The last time I was this glued to my news feed was during the Turkish coup.
  • RB Leipzieg have also made a statement saying they won't join a ESL.

So how 'super' would a European Super League be without any teams from Germany?
  • I've just had a thought

UEFA wants to expand the Champions League in 2024, either by increasing groups from 4 to 6 or by having a second group stage instead of the round of 16.

Maybe this is the Big Boys way of getting UEFA to scrap its plans
  • The BIG 6...... whereby only 2 are currently in the top 4 ( I know it's about financial muscle but I'm just saying)
  • edited April 2021

Hopefully you're right Aslef.

What for? They haven't actually done anything yet, they've just made a proposal. They can't do anything without cooperation from FIFA, etc. and FIFA, etc. have said a very definite "no".

It's nothing new, Real Madrid president Florentino Pérez has rehashed something he originally proposed in 2009 but there were discussions in 2016 and of course Berlusconi's proposal back in 1997.

None of the clubs involved back then were sanctioned then so why should this time be any different?
    They actually said they have agreed to establish the league. Have they ever done that before? Sounds like more than a proposal to me.
  • Why would the ESA care what FIFA or EUFA have to say? They are prepared to breakaway and set up their own business. From what I'm hearing on SKY the 'owners' don't cate about the rest of football or the poor PR. This is a lucrative money making exercise backed by JP Morgan.

It is down to FIFA and EUFA to implement rules to stop players participating in the ESL whilst being allowed to play in any sanctioned FIFA, EUFA tournament and by that FA and PL sanctioned tournament.

I don't see this as a bluff, it's the real deal. The only flies in the ointment are the players. They will have a big say in the outcome but imo money will prevail in most cases.

Sad times for football.
  • edited April 2021

Hopefully you're right Aslef.

They actually said they have agreed to establish the league. Have they ever done that before? Sounds like more than a proposal to me.
    Exactly this. They've basically signed off on it. Whether it happens or not, the six English clubs have nailed their colours to the mast and demonstrated, IMO, a contempt for the integrity of the English league system and, more importantly, the fans. Without sanction or punishment, where's the disincentive for anyone else to do the same in the future?
  • I've just had a thought

UEFA wants to expand the Champions League in 2024, either by increasing groups from 4 to 6 or by having a second group stage instead of the round of 16.

Maybe this is the Big Boys way of getting UEFA to scrap its plans

Of course it is. UEFA were due to announce their updated format today, and the ESL announcement came last night.

That's why I call it blackmail. They want to force UEFA into giving them certain places in the Champions League, more of the money and have more say in running it.

Rather than a place in the Champions League and its financial rewards being, you know, based on how well you play on the football pitch.
  • I think that’s the whole point of this proposal. The EUFA plans meant an extended CL and PL and these clubs, who believe they have a divine right to always compete in Europe, feel that the new CL and PL would mean they’d get less money.
    As with everything else in football greed rules over everything. The money in football is obscene and when you get players demanding £500k per week to sign or resign then it will never stop.
  • edited April 2021
    IronHerb said:

Why would the ESA care what FIFA or EUFA have to say? They are prepared to breakaway and set up their own business. From what I'm hearing on SKY the 'owners' don't cate about the rest of football or the poor PR. This is a lucrative money making exercise backed by JP Morgan.

It is down to FIFA and EUFA to implement rules to stop players participating in the ESL whilst being allowed to play in any sanctioned FIFA, EUFA tournament and by that FA and PL sanctioned tournament.

I don't see this as a bluff, it's the real deal. The only flies in the ointment are the players. They will have a big say in the outcome but imo money will prevail in most cases.

Sad times for football.

The proposal is for a 20 team league with 15 permanent members and 5 others selected on the basis of their performance in other leagues. They'd play that instead of the Champions League but carry on playing in the Premier League, La Liga and Serie A

How is that going to be possible when they've only got 12 teams, the three other teams that are supposed to be permanent have all said they won't be taking part and UEFA, etc. have said they will ban anyone taking part.

What are they going to do, play a 22 game season between themselves?

It's such a complete non-starter it's almost laughable.