New super league

1111213141517»

Comments

• All gone a bit quiet, hasn't it. UEFA's 'elite' club rule has snuck through for the CL going forward and the noises are that the PL Guilty Six will not face any punishment.

So basically nothing changes expect that some of the Guilty Six will probably benefit from the new rule at someone else's expense in the not too distant future.
  • All gone a bit quiet, hasn't it. UEFA's 'elite' club rule has snuck through for the CL going forward and the noises are that the PL Guilty Six will not face any punishment.

So basically nothing changes expect that some of the Guilty Six will probably benefit from the new rule at someone else's expense in the not too distant future.

Guilty six? Don't you know that Chelsea saved football.
  • I thought that was Brendan Rodgers ?
  • I think the PL are still trying to ascertain to what extent the clubs committed to this league.

There is a clear rule which states clubs shall not enter any other competitions. If the lawyers say contracts were signed and to all intents and purposes the competition was entered, I would be staggered if there weren’t serious punishments.

The super league statement basically said they’ve agreed to form a league, whereas the statements about backing out were about beginning proceedings - which implies contracts were signed.

You’d think the other 14 clubs are pretty angry, so I don’t think this will go away without punishment. I think they’ll just be waiting for a thorough legal review.
  • Interesting governmental developments, with a fan-led review, and the German 50+1 rule being considered.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56852632
  • The 50+1 rule doesn't apply to all clubs, though. Teams like Leverkusen, Hoffenheim or Wolfsburg are under controll of companies or even private investors (Hoffenheim).

And it only means that no single investor may own more that 49% of the club. But if Sullivan owned 45% and Gold owned another 45% then that would still be allowed.
  • The only way the government can get rid of any of the owners of the greedy 6 is if they buy them out. Seeing as the government didn't want to bail out the EFL, which would be peanuts compared to buying say Man Utd, then the owners are going nowhere.
  • JP Morgan pulled out and withdrawn their £3.5bn funding. According to extracts of the ESL contracts published in a German newspaper there is a £130M fine for any club withdrawing.
    Also Barcelona and Real Madrid were to get more out of the league which possibly explains why they still push for it to go ahead.
  • I thought I heard them say on SKY that it was £8m in fees for pulling out.
  • This is part of what was reported plus they also printed some of the contract pages
    “Some details of the European Super League contracts have been leaked online
    It reveals that those clubs who have pulled out face a £130million 'break-up fee'
    Teams would also be able to broadcast some of their matches themselves
    Real Madrid and Barcelona were to be paid an extra £52m more than their rivals
    It comes after UEFA announced the 12 clubs would not face sporting punishment”
    The £3.5M Morgan money was partly towards the £200M - £300M payments to the participating clubs.
  • £130million 'break-up fee' - each? I can't see that personally. Between the 12 clubs then maybe.
  • edited April 2021
    I don’t suppose when they drew up the contract they expected 10 of the 12 to drop out before it even got off the ground so a hefty penalty they probably, if true, thought would deter anyone from exiting.
    This may be why Real Madrid and Barcelona have not quit.
    A figure in the area of £8-10M for these people is loose change.
    It may end up their having to pay no penalty as with funding withdrawn by Morgan and no streaming service admitting to having got involved they end up just walking away but I guess that requires the two left to do the same.
    On Tuesday on BT Souness was saying this is going to cost these clubs millions and millions.
  • I don’t suppose when they drew up the contract they expected 10 of the 12 to drop out before it even got off the ground so a hefty penalty they probably, if true, thought would deter anyone from exiting.
    This may be why Real Madrid and Barcelona have not quit.
    A figure in the area of £8-10M for these people is loose change.
    It may end up their having to pay no penalty as with funding withdrawn by Morgan and no streaming service admitting to having got involved they end up just walking away but I guess that requires the two left to do the same.
    On Tuesday on BT Souness was saying this is going to cost these clubs millions and millions.

Let’s hope so.
  • It’s ok these fans really told them

• This is an article about FIFAs look at whether to hold the World Cup every two years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58475447

At the bottom I noticed this:
    BBC said:

Meanwhile, Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has been elected on to the board of the ECA.

There has been no English representative on the ECA board since the six English 'Super League' clubs resigned from the body in April.

So, not only was there almost no punishment for the Super League teams, but Levy is now our representative on the ECA?
  • How Spurs fell, one minute making plans for the super league alongside Barcelona and then jetting of to Portugal for their first Europa conference match.
  • Incredible - well it is if I’m right and they are recognised by UEFA as looking after the future of the game.
    Does anyone now who elects our reps, and if they have any real power?
  • Well not enough power to bump them up to the Champions league hahaha