New super league

Comments

• The Premier League needed an emergency meeting to come up with THAT? I'd get more of a telling off for pinching sweets when I was a kid.

Sorry, but this is just weak!
  • edited April 2021
    This is the true test. It would be great if some young International players came out and stated an opinion. I understand some may not want to or need more information although it's great to see Rashford has made his feelings clear, good egg
  • edited April 2021

Three times the six owners have blamed the pandemic on having to do this because they’ve lost money.

Perhaps they should have ran their clubs better and not been in such a situation of debt.

I don't spend more than I get paid, almost said earn there =) , so why should they, and then throw everyone else to the wolves to dig themselves out.

Let them all go bust.
  • PL leaks now coming out
  • Where would I find these leaks? I don't have twitter but this waiting game is awful!
  • clubs to stay in PL but some execs are being asked to go
  • Ridiculously weak statement from the PL imo.
  • edited April 2021
    As expected the 14 don't do much because they don't want the Big 6 to leave as without them the value of the Premier League is reduced.

What happens next is up to UEFA/FIFA but if ESL can't get their backing then its not going to happen (and never was).

Reports that Jordan Henderson has called an emergency meeting of all Premier League captains,
  • PL statement means nothing and neither does ours. Is anybody going to show a backbone, or are we just going to let the top six act however they want until they get their own way?
  • It's easy to sit back and criticise the PL but this will be a legal minefield so they have to choose their words carefully.
  • I call for a meeting of all 20 Mascot. They'll probably make more sense out of it
  • IronHerb said:

It's easy to sit back and criticise the PL but this will be a legal minefield so they have to choose their words carefully.

Yeah, unfortunately it's not as straight forward as binning the six teams off because there'll be huge legal and financial ramifications.

But ultimately the six have clearly broken a PL regulation, so should be punished. A fine won't cut it, as has been proven by Man City's FFP fines, so it needs to be a points deduction or expulsion, IMO.

I just hope that what we're seeing are holding statements until the picture becomes a bit clearer as to what can actually be done, and a lot could depend on what the Government introduce by way of new legislation.
  • I think the passage - 'The Premier League is considering all actions available to prevent it from progressing, as well as holding those Shareholders involved to account under its rules.' - is letting the six know that they could face charges down the line.

I'm not counting on the government doing anything useful. They have announced a root and branch, fans led review of football that has no guarantees of being implemented.
    Flavour of the day politics imo.
  • Amazon Prime have joined SKY in stating they haven't held any discussions re televising/streaming the ESL.
  • The government are only interested because they want deflect from their own failings, and to score points and know people care about this.
  • alderz said:

The government are only interested because they want deflect from their own failings, and to score points and know people care about this.

This is undoubtedly true, but at least it means there may actually be some decisive action.

Johnson will be looking for any kind of positive news before 6th May, and 'saving' football would fit the bill nicely.
  • Sorry OCS but you mentioned 'decisive action' and 'Johnson' in the same post.
    They just don't go together.
  • I don't know Herb, throw in another couple of words such as "Lack of" =)
  • To be fair to the Honey monster he had to say something and would be slammed either way.
  • Bayern have flatly stated that they aren't interested.
  • I'd rather he said nothing. UEFA will probably now punish the PL because of political involvement, which is against the rules. 😂
  • IronHerb said:

Sorry OCS but you mentioned 'decisive action' and 'Johnson' in the same post.

I don't know Herb, throw in another couple of words such as "Lack of" =)

Here you go Expat - "lack of Johnson" =)
  • Sorry been asleep for the last couple of days .Could someone please rehash all thats been going on.........Do we still get to play Chelsea =) =) =)
  • At the moment, yes.
  • IronHerb said:

Sorry OCS but you mentioned 'decisive action' and 'Johnson' in the same post.

I don't know Herb, throw in another couple of words such as "Lack of" =)

Here you go Expat - "lack of Johnson" =)
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeek, but that could possibly mean that the looney left were in charge.
    A fate worse than Boris
  • alderz said:

The government are only interested because they want deflect from their own failings, and to score points and know people care about this.

Don’t agree with this at all

They are doing it because it is rightly being savaged from all different spectrums. Labour, the Tories, Macron and others all singing from the same sheet.
  • They’re even proposing to do the same to the women’s leagues and CL. Some of the women teams have only been in existence a couple of years.
    The whole clue to all of this, despite their saying we are doing it for the good of the game, is the nationality of the owners.
    I heard the Dubai football guy on the radio lunchtime and he was praising the idea saying it means these top clubs can buy all the best players and everybody in the world can see them play in this league.
    The PL is shown all over the world as it’s the most competitive league but they’re creating a non competitive league.
    I note that Scottish clubs were not invited but Rangers and Celtic have probably played more years in Europe than the English clubs put together.
  • I think all governments realise the cultural significance of this. It actually has political significance and so I think they act in some way.
  • Stupid comment by Bale’s agent in that he would go to court if players are banned from representing their country. This is easily got around by not selecting them and it’s happened before. Who remembers when players playing abroad were not selected for England eg Greaves, Hitchens and John Charles for Wales, one of the all time greats.
  • Outcast, America doesn’t because their football leagues are in their infancy. When they first started playing proper football (soccer to them) draws weren’t allowed and they had shootouts where a player ran from the halfway line with the ball and shot when he got close. This was eventually outlawed and they had to play by the rules of the game when they started to enter FIFA competitions.
    Next thing I expect to happen is the clubs with American owners will start their own World Series to replace the World Cup.