New super league

Comments

• wombat, come on there is a limit on hatred - Millwall! 😁
  • I know, I hate myself for saying it. I’m in therapy but Leeds have me in some sort of emotional disgust.
  • G-Nev excellent again tonight on MNF. I don't know if anybody saw, but he slipped in another killer about Spurs and Arsenal.

Just off-handedly said he'd rather watch the champions of San Marino than Spurs or Arsenal, as they're awful.
  • I wonder what percentage of Premier League players would be against this Super League. I am hoping most.
  • Well Milner and Bamford for two.
  • Good stuff from Milner. No nonsense - just said he doesn't like it and doesn't want it.
  • Neville kicking off again, good to see
  • Sky statement that they’ve not been involved in any of the discussions and fully support the current pyramid.
  • No, it certainly won’t. I have a completely irrational hated of Leeds and would cheer Millwall if they were beating them.

Wombat, go wash your mouth out with sulphuric acid
  • It is a new format that will sustain the drama, passion and most importantly, the unpredictability that is the lifeblood of our sport,”

It’s hilarious that a closed competition for a handful of clubs could ever be viewed as unpredictable.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/19/revealed-unpublished-super-league-document-justifying-breakaway
  • Interesting that Sky are being coy about the ESL now. The whole concept rests on TV money and bank (JP Morgan) backing. Without TV money, they are dead in the water. Having said that, I don't believe a word Sky says...
  • The spuds in a super league lol, there not even super in the premier league, let’s all laugh at Spurs 😂😂😂😂
  • edited April 2021
    alderz said:

It’s hilarious that a closed competition for a handful of clubs could ever be viewed as unpredictable.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/19/revealed-unpublished-super-league-document-justifying-breakaway

It's not a closed competition

Along with the 15 permanent "member" clubs there would be 5 temporary "guest" clubs qualifying every season on the basis of their performance in other competitions (I imagine would be the finalists of the Champions League, Europa League, etc.)

The obvious problem is they only have 12 "members" and without UEFA/national FA agreement they'll never get any clubs to play as "guests"

The idea is so flawed and badly thought out I'm amazed that anyone thinks it could ever work but then when you've been president of Real Madrid for 17 years I guess you think you must be some sort of genius
  • Ok, a 75% closed league minimum.
  • He's not one of Sully's cousins, is he =)
  • Sustainability will never be reached while the players are paid what they are.
  • One good thing might come out of this, it will put off American billionaires who don't understand the concept of relegation, and nil nil draws. The jeopardy and merit are what football is. It has been said many times that you don't own a football club to become rich
  • Football in free market capitalism at its finest, the market dictates the price and the market is now global.

Oddly one of the proposals of the ESL is an NFL-style wage cap, making it even more capitalist by restricting workers wages in order to maximise profits.

Maybe it will lead to a players' revolution, they will rise up, throw off the shackles of oppression, seize control from the owners and football will be run by democratically elected workers' committees.

My name is Ben Elton, good night!
  • alderz said:

It's not a closed competition

Along with the 15 permanent "member" clubs there would be 5 temporary "guest" clubs qualifying every season on the basis of their performance in other competitions (I imagine would be the finalists of the Champions League, Europa League, etc.)

So for arguments sake, a temporary "guest" clubs wins the Super League and Spurs finish bottom. What happens in the following season? Spurs continue to milk the cash cow despite being demonstrably rubbish, whilst the other team goes back to the diminished Champions League? Or they stay for another season and only four "guests" are invited the following season?

It's all an absolute nonsense.
  • And I wonder what the other three clubs, the ones that make the 15 that haven't declared yet, are thinking now. The backlash has been so widespread and vocal, would they dare to still join? Not that it's an excuse, but the 12 that have committed to it could at least argue that they didn't realise opposition would be so fierce; these other three will have to commit knowing how the football world feels about it.
  • But they don't care about the existing fans, and it's not the clubs it's the owners.
  • edited April 2021
    alderz said:

It is a new format that will sustain the drama, passion and most importantly, the unpredictability that is the lifeblood of our sport,”

The argument on unpredictability would be that all clubs should be on equal fitting in the super league. With wage caps and actual FFP rules that will work as its governed by those teams, if you mess up your off the gravy train and down with the plebs. the unpredictability will arise from the fact that every club there could sign a haaland or Mbappe. All 15 of those teams would have superstars.

• A good podcast about it.
  • alderz said:

It is a new format that will sustain the drama, passion and most importantly, the unpredictability that is the lifeblood of our sport,”

The argument on unpredictability would be that all clubs should be on equal fitting in the super league. With wage caps and actual FFP rules that will work as its governed by those teams, if you mess up your off the gravy train and down with the plebs. the unpredictability will arise from the fact that every club there could sign a haaland or Mbappe. All 15 of those teams would have superstars.
    But where is the unpredictability in Spurs beating Inter or Barca beating ManU or vice versa. The unpredictability comes in West Brom winning 5-2 at Chelsea.
  • Alan Shearer made a good point this morning in that the announcement was made after 11pm on Sunday which virtually excluded most of the public in Europe but was prime time for American TV which is where the money is coming from.
  • IronHerb said:

alderz said:

But where is the unpredictability in Spurs beating Inter or Barca beating ManU or vice versa. The unpredictability comes in West Brom winning 5-2 at Chelsea.
    I don't disagree but a lot of Zoomers these days follow players, you only have to go on the Facebook page for West Ham to see Algerians crying for Benrahma to see Mexicans crying for Hernandez. People are starting to follow "clubs" less and less and follow individual players more and more.
  • edited April 2021
    Has anyone explained how guest clubs will be selected. e.g. who decides if 2nd in Belgium is better than champion in Netherlands in a particular season?

Genuine question.

• I don't disagree but a lot of Zoomers these days follow players, you only have to go on the Facebook page for West Ham to see Algerians crying for Benrahma to see Mexicans crying for Hernandez. People are starting to follow "clubs" less and less and follow individual players more and more.

I'm not sure that's generally true, more where there's a star player from a country that doesn't have a particularly significant league; if that player moves overseas a lot of fans in his home country may follow him in the manner you've mentioned, but I don't think it happens often with fans from countries with established top tier leagues where they're more likely to have a firm club rather than player support.
  • edited April 2021

It's all an absolute nonsense.

Of course its nonsense, its been obvious nonsense since it was announced

And I wonder what the other three clubs, the ones that make the 15 that haven't declared yet, are thinking now.

Bayern Munich and Dortmund confirmed yesterday morning that they had rejected the Super League invitation although they think that things need to change.

PSG haven't issued a statement but its owned by the Qataris who have close links with UEFA and FIFA (hosting the World Cup, owns broadcasting rights for the Champions League, etc). You don't bite the hand that feeds you

Alan Shearer made a good point this morning in that the announcement was made after 11pm on Sunday which virtually excluded most of the public in Europe but was prime time for American TV which is where the money is coming from.

Not so good for the Chinese and other Asian markets