New super league

Comments

• edited April 2021

But have you seen the numbers involved in the NFL? It's one thing to have a cap, but if that cap is, say, £500k a week, it still prices out any other team in any other league, particularly as there'll be less money in the other domestic set ups.

There is no individual cap. From what I just read the lowest salary was £270k pa with the highest paid at £25m pa.
    The cap is £107m and not £150m as I posted earlier. This is spread across a 53 man squad.

The top six are the top payers anyway so if it's purely down to wages it makes little difference as they already have the cash to outplay the rest.
  • Brentford have Tweeted about needing a trophy cabinet at short notice as the their Carabao Cup semi-final opponents and the other two semi-finalists are all part of the Dirty Dozen.

I like that clubs are openly trolling this.
  • Brentford have Tweeted about needing a trophy cabinet at short notice as the their Carabao Cup semi-final opponents and the other two semi-finalists are all part of the Dirty Dozen.

They can buy the one Spurs have. They won't be needing it.
  • IronHerb said:

Brentford have Tweeted about needing a trophy cabinet at short notice as the their Carabao Cup semi-final opponents and the other two semi-finalists are all part of the Dirty Dozen.

They can buy the one Spurs have. They won't be needing it.
    And it's unused =)
  • Right now lawyers for all of the others teams are going through the PL rule book with the finest of fine toothcombs.
    They will be looking at every single way they can get the 6 kicked out or points deducted, anything at all.
  • 20 point deduction, Blades could be safe in theory and gooners could go down
  • Love him or hate him, but this is excellent.

James Corden explaining to US audience with Oscars analogy - priceless!

• Good rant. Just kick all 6 out asap. Leave them In their own selfish world and we'll all carry on in ours.
  • Love him or hate him, but this is excellent.

James Corden explaining to US audience with Oscars analogy - priceless!

The Oscars analogy was actually really good for explaining it. I didn’t know how he’d be able to explain it in sporting terms when they only have closed competition at the top level
  • edited April 2021
    yoyo said:

Good rant. Just kick all 6 out asap. Leave them In their own selfish world and we'll all carry on in ours.

Tbh, I'm not sure they'll care if they are kicked out; they must know it's a very real possibility and will have factored that into their decision (they'd probably just establish a normal league whereby they all play each other home and away at weekends, rather than it being an alternative to the Champions League). As I mentioned in an earlier post, in 10 years time these clubs will simply be franchises and will be based in the US, the Far East, the Middle East, wherever.
  • Has there been any news from the FA or the Prem, yet?
  • Prem are meeting at the moment.
  • I'm desperate for them to come out swinging. Another statement expressing disappointment etc isn't going to cut it.

Give them until Friday to back down or chuck them out of the Premier League and Champions League.
  • I'd say dock them points regardless and if they don't back down within a certain timeframe kick them out altogether.
  • Oh yeah, I'd 100% deduct points and fine in any case, just for the audacity and the arrogance.
  • There simply has to be a proper sanction which almost certainly should mean/include heavy points deductions

Anything else will basically be saying that (certain) clubs are bigger than the sport itself
  • enough points to relegate arsenal, PL meeting has finished
  • There’s now a statement from West Ham on the OS
  • That's relegation sorted, the bottom three of you six are relegated to league two, the others to league one
  • PL captains meeting
  • Pep has had a pop as well. " it's not sport when success is guaranteed "
  • No just imagining they actually are kicked out - should the Prem use that opportunity to reduce the size of the leage? Say 18 or possibly even 16 teams.
  • edited April 2021
    Be interesting to see what the players stance is for those involved in new format..

Right now I sense most if not all are against

But wonder if that changes once the finances start rolling in and the mega bucks contracts are on offer 🤔
  • edited April 2021
  • Diamantis , good point.There lies the problem. Player z... Do you want to be an International on 150k a week and perhaps qualify for Euro's or world cup, May be selected, May have a good tournament... or do you want to earn 500k a week?
  • yoyo said:

Diamantis , good point.There lies the problem. Player z... Do you want to be an International on 150k a week and perhaps qualify for Euro's or world cup, May be selected, May have a good tournament... or do you want to earn 500k a week?

But they are on megabucks already. I can see them wanting more for sure but that decision will define them, if it ever comes to that.
  • Diamantis the mega bucks may roll into the owners coffers but there’s no guarantee that much of it will go in increasing players wages as that would be self defeating. Three times the six owners have blamed the pandemic on having to do this because they’ve lost money. What about the poor clubs going out of business.
    I’ve said before most players are now money motivated but I bet few of them are as happy as some believe in just taking the money and playing in meaningless non competitive games.