New super league

Comments

• Comment from a Spurs fan on the bbc

“If Spurs are last to pull out do we get to keep the trophy?”
  • Noise (again on twitter) that Arsenal already pulling out
  • Yep, the fact that they've pulled back is irrelevant, IMO. Hit them, and the other four, with a points deduction and let teams that would actually appreciate the Champions League have a go.
  • Have to say, Liverpool fans don’t forget things easily. Can easily see them hounding out Fenway Sports regardless of how things now play out with the ESL
  • kind of glad i missed most of this ,Guess burying your head in the sand does work =)
  • Chelsea getting massive praise on SM .Why?!
    They wouldn’t have pulled out if it had legs would they? THEY GOT FOUND OUT!!!
    Despicable actions by these clubs should not go unpunished.
  • edited April 2021
    So apparently the Dirty Dozen are speaking later about disbanding the ESL 🤔

Was this all a cynical ploy to distract from the new CL format that allows places for elite clubs who haven't qualified. Will this be seen as an acceptable compromise to what would have been had the ESL gone ahead?
  • Touchel has never really said anything against it until they pulled out.
  • So apparently the Dirty Dozen are speaking later about disbanding the ESL 🤔

Was this all a cynical ploy to distract from the new CL format that allows places for elite clubs who haven't qualified. Will this be seen as an acceptable compromise to what would have been had the ESL gone ahead?

The CL reform has been very quiet, and the fact that two of the newly expanded four places are reserved for “historically significant clubs that failed to qualify” has been particularly absent from the news.
  • There should be no places given in the CL based on “historical significance”. Otherwise, once again the sporting merit argument starts becoming compromised again.
  • alderz said:

So apparently the Dirty Dozen are speaking later about disbanding the ESL 🤔

The CL reform has been very quiet, and the fact that two of the newly expanded four places are reserved for “historically significant clubs that failed to qualify” has been particularly absent from the news.
    Yeah, almost as if they wanted the news buried somehow 🤔
  • edited April 2021

There should be no places given in the CL based on “historical significance”. Otherwise, once again the sporting merit argument starts becoming compromised again.

Yeah, completely. But that was a concession from UEFA in their reforms to give more security to the big powerful clubs.

EDIT: Also, as an aside the new CL proposals are insane and the new format looks awful.
  • And now Ed Woodward has resigned as Man Utd chairman.

This is all going swimmingly...
  • And now Ed Woodward has resigned as Man Utd chairman.

This is all going swimmingly...

Et tu, Levy?
  • Agnelli supposedly gone from Juve

mounting pressure from Perez to go to lol
  • What a bonkers 48 hours.
  • I just hope they're still punished. Champions League bans, fines, embargoes, whatever.

This was disgraceful and disgusting. It was an attempted coup and in any other walk of life that would be punished regardless.
  • I just hope they're still punished. Champions League bans, fines, embargoes, whatever.

This was disgraceful and disgusting. It was an attempted coup and in any other walk of life that would be punished regardless.

UEFA should ban them all from their competitions for next season at least. See how they cope with their financial modelling then.

• I wonder if some people got very rich yesterday
  • ' what a way to mug yourself off '

Float the ship on Sunday and all jump off on Tuesday. shocking!

The good thing is this is the idea dead for a long while to come as no one is going to be brave enough to try this again anytime soon. All you do know is the moment they do Spurs will always try and jump a place on the ship again.
  • Even as a joke ,that photo is never nice to see
  • As these clubs quit the ECA on Sunday I assume they cannot play in any EUFA competitions and would have to reapply to join
  • Good point, thorn. Let's refuse them membership for a few seasons.
  • Does anyone seriously believe that UEFA would exclude Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Inter, Liverpool, etc. from Europe?
  • Does anyone seriously believe that UEFA would exclude Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Inter, Liverpool, etc. from Europe?

I don’t believe that they would. But I think they should ban then. Also, tbf, who really thought the SFA/SPL would relegate Rangers to L2? Or Serie A relegating Juventus, Palermo and whoever else it was? Organisations have punished teams even when it affects them and their own bottom loan. But, no, I don’t think they will.

As these clubs quit the ECA on Sunday I assume they cannot play in any EUFA competitions and would have to reapply to join

AFAIK, being a member of the ECA doesn’t mean you can’t play in UEFA competitions. It's like a union.
  • edited April 2021
    As it stands at the moment they have to be in the ECA but they quit. What EUFA do about it is up to them. The clubs must have known they would have to quit in order to set up the ESL because they wanted nothing to do with the EUFA competitions.
    A bit like telling your boss to go get stuffed because you have a better job then find you don’t.