New super league

Comments

• edited April 2021
    alderz said:

Declan wasn’t a fan then

That metaphor though O.o
    Football's crimes against the English language!
  • 100% this is going to get swept under the carpet.
  • I think so Ham. The PL and UEFA would have been reluctant to punish the teams even if the ESL had gone ahead, so will almost certainly do nothing now that it's gone away (for now).

Already you have the likes of Graeme Souness saying points deductions and bans from European competition would be unfair on the players and fans, which although true, was also the case when Bolton, Sheff Wed, Luton etc. were hammered by the authorities for breaking rules.

Personally, I think there has to be some kind of punishment, otherwise where's the disincentive? If these owners thought the CL and EL were beneath them, then they shouldn't be allowed to play in them next season.
  • I assume most neutrals will want us and Leicester to finish in the top 4 even more so now.
  • Tottenham are so desparate to win something they want to merge with West Ham and rename the club Tott 'n Ham
  • Points deductions are always unfair on the fans so that doesn't make sense.
  • Hamstew said:

100% this is going to get swept under the carpet.

I don’t even think this is the worst part

Chelsea and Man City are now being portrayed as heroes

Ridiculous.
  • Points deduction is the only deterrent imo. How much do you fine a billionaire? Like St Brenda said recently it's no good fining players as they can afford it without noticing, or words to that affect.
  • Hamstew said:

100% this is going to get swept under the carpet.

I don’t even think this is the worst part

Chelsea and Man City are now being portrayed as heroes

Ridiculous.
    I was seeing stuff like "London is Blue" all over twitter last night. Sickening.
  • saw this on twitter. not sure how to get the image to show
  • image worked - i have learned something!!
  • IronHerb said:

Points deduction is the only deterrent imo. How much do you fine a billionaire? Like St Brenda said recently it's no good fining players as they can afford it without noticing, or words to that affect.

Yeah, this is the point, isn't it. Look at Man City. Fined £49m in 2014 for breaching FFP regulations and £26m in 2020 for the same thing (although that one was overturned), but with a net worth of over £23bn, that's relatively small change to Sheikh Mansour.

Putting them in the fourth tier (as the Scottish FA did with Rangers), or at the very least deducting points so they have a season without European football and the revenue that generates them would hurt them more than a fine.
  • Hamstew, Yes London is Claret & Sky Blue.
  • edited April 2021
    This backtracking from the six is sickening. John Henry has released a video apologising the the Liverpool fans, saying that he pulled out because he 'heard the fans' and that they are crucial to any club.

If he genuinely believed that, he would have asked them before starting talks and signing up to the damn thing.

Throw the book at him and the other five owners. Utterly contemptible.
  • I don’t do “ angry “ much, but this morning I’ve got steam coming out of my ears.
    HOW DARE THEY?!And to see the love fest all over SM and some MSM is sickening.
    It was an attempted coup and they got shown up for the people they really are. How dare they trample over mine and millions of other fans hopes and dreams?
    There is no forgiveness just because they’re saying “Sorry, didn’t mean it”. Bans, transfer bans,relegation, points deductions and unprecedented fines should all be on the table.
    Again,HOW DARE THEY!
  • The worst traits of humanity have been brought to the fore here. Millions of ordinary people around the world have seen their livelihoods decimated by the pandemic.

Yet why then as a billionaire are you trying to squeeze MORE through illicit means? Is what you have not enough? Will it ever be?

Sheikh Mansour - he’s never even earned his wealth - born into royalty in an oil rich nation

Abramovic - does anyone know quite how the wealth of a nation ended up making a cluster of people obscenely rich?

Joe Lewis - lives as a tax exile

Joel Glazer - born into family (father’s) wealth

• To me, the only genuine heroes are the German fans who own 51% of their clubs, and Bayern Munich for rejecting the ESL concept at a vital point in the crisis. The sooner the Premiership follows the Germsm model, the better.
  • I don't do "angry" much either and I'm not angry this morning,

I'm relieved that the killer of George Floyd has been found guilty, I'm horrified by the killings of Adam Toledo and Daunte Wright.

I'm disgusted that David Cameron will probably get away with lobbying for Greensill, that Matt Hancock will probably get away with having shares in a company that is being paid by the NHS and that Boris gets away with lying almost on a daily basis.

But I'm not angry about any of that and I'm not angry about the whole Super League farrago. I'm amused, it was possibly the stupidest thing I've seen in ages.

Nothing will happen, no points deductions, no fines, maybe some of the executives will be given personal bans for a few years but otherwise everything will carry on as if nothing has happened.

And that is the last thing I am going to say about the Super League
  • edited April 2021
    Can we change the name of this thread to "No New Super League"?
  • edited April 2021

Going back to the CL debate and the meritocracy of playing, I would be agreeable with somehow incorporating the existing title holder into the competition to “defend” their title irrespective of their league position.

I get the mechanics might get messy but I like the sentiment

Didn’t this used to be the case? Great idea to bring it back though!!!

We should also have a European trophy just for league champions 🤪

The six should at least be banned from UEFA competition for a few years.

Yes if points are deducted in the league we would be higher and definitely qualify for Europe, or maybe even win the league.⚒ But perhaps I’m thinking of the other fans, or the integrity of the competition - god forbid that the owners may do the same!
  • Apologies if this has been posted before but this statement from UEFA looks to me as though all is forgiven so if the Premier League follow suit I think they’ll all breathe a collective sigh of relief and pretend it never happened.

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin welcomed the withdrawal of the English clubs from the planned breakaway league.

“I said yesterday that it is admirable to admit a mistake and these clubs made a big mistake. But they are back in the fold now and I know they have a lot to offer not just to our competitions but to the whole of the European game.

“The important thing now is that we move on, rebuild the unity that the game enjoyed before this and move forward together.”
  • Going back to the CL debate and the meritocracy of playing, I would be agreeable with somehow incorporating the existing title holder into the competition to “defend” their title irrespective of their league position.

I get the mechanics might get messy but I like the sentiment

Didn’t this used to be the case? Great idea to bring it back though!!!
    This is still case, the winners of both the Champions League and the Europa League play in the Champions League the following season regardless of where they finish in their domestic league.
  • I'm bored of it.
  • Gaining a CL place by winning the CL or Europa the previous year is absolutely by me - because idly is based upon sporting achievement/merit
  • Point deductions, please. I want a West Ham-Leicester title race.

Which we will lose because we're West Ham, but still.
  • Jorderz, would you be happy winning the league because six teams were docked points, and everyone reminding you of it. Our day will come on merit
  • I would be happy, yeah. Our day on merit can still come, it will just be our second title instead of our first.
  • I think the thing that has grated with people, fans, players and clubs alike, is the fact that to produce a 167 page legal contract to set up and commit to this league would have taken some considerable amount of time.
    While all this was going on these chairmen would have attended PL club meetings, some of them sit on EUFA committees, all the time discussing the future of the football pyramid in the UK and the future of the CL and EL knowing that they were going to opt out of whatever was being discussed.
    The same would apply in Spain and Italy. I doubt that these people will ever be able to sit with the rest of their peers for a long time. The Italians I would suggest check their beds for horses heads each night.
  • I’d be happy with it. If a team breaks the rules, which they would have to have done to receive a points deduction, and we won the league as a result of being the best placed team that followed the rules and didn’t receive a points deduction, then I think that would be completely on merit.
  • alderz said:

I’d be happy with it. If a team breaks the rules, which they would have to have done to receive a points deduction, and we won the league as a result of being the best placed team that followed the rules and didn’t receive a points deduction, then I think that would be completely on merit.

I like this argument. I’ll be using it when we win.