New super league

Comments

• Does anyone seriously believe that UEFA would exclude Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Inter, Liverpool, etc. from Europe?

I don't see how a ban for a season or two seriously effects the value of the competition. If anything, I think it would make it more appealing and watchable.

As Alderz said, Juventus have been out of the Champions League before. Inter have been out of it plenty, as have Liverpool, Chelsea and Man United at different times over recent years.

You're only looking at Barca (rubbish at the moment) and Real Madrid (bored of seeing them grind their way to semi-finals) who it would be unusual without.

And don't even get me started on Arsenal and Tottenham.

Anyway, all of that is beside the point. These clubs tried to dismantle UEFA and UEFA should throw the book at them. Make them realise how much they like being in the Champions League by chucking them out for a while.
  • From what I’ve read clubs don’t have to be in the ECA and it’s just a club organisation to help UEFA with changes and things. I don’t think it means they can’t play in their competitions, but I might be wrong I’ve not read loads
  • edited April 2021
    Man City officially out
  • So City are the only club to officially leave right?

Chelsea are still in, but looks like they will leave after today...can't backtrack right?

But Atletico and Barca are on the fence, some saying they are in some saying they are out

Henderson has come out saying the players don't want to be invovled, which has been backed by other LFC players...surely they can't continue (plus I can't see Liverpools fans not doing exactly what Chelsea have done today)
  • What reasons are they giving for withdrawing? I want to know how they are spinning it.
  • This doesn't scream 'incoming ban'...

• Think it'll be hard to get a points deduction if they haven't actually played a game

I'm going to be hopeful that we can get a 10 point deduction from ALL of them
  • So, we have City, Chavski, Real Madrid. Who's cheering on PSG for the Champions league?
  • MrsGrey said:

What reasons are they giving for withdrawing? I want to know how they are spinning it.

• edited April 2021
    Bill Paisley’s grandson has asked Liverpool to remove Bill’s statue and one of Liverpool’s sponsors have pulled out.
  • I'm so confused and frustrated by the plaudits Chelsea and City are getting.

They would have gone through with this if the reaction hadn't been so vociferous.

They went in for it as cowards and they come out of it as cowards. The first rat off a sinking ship is still a rat.
  • Can the admins sort me out with an auto-agree function for Jorderz's posts please?Basically spent my day pressing agree to everything he's posted.
  • MrsGrey said:

What reasons are they giving for withdrawing? I want to know how they are spinning it.

None yet. The statement is:

"Manchester City Football Club can confirm that it has formally enacted the procedures to withdraw from the group developing plans for a European Super League."

They're probably busy right now scraping the barrel for an excuse as to why they signed up in the first place.
  • Can the admins sort me out with an auto-agree function for Jorderz's posts please?Basically spent my day pressing agree to everything he's posted.

If we could do that don’t you think there would be a lot of agrees on my posts?
  • Although "group developing plans for a European Super League" is a bit misleading considering contracts have already been signed, according to Perez.
  • Wouldn’t it be funny if the Super League rejected their intentions to withdraw after all signing legally binding contracts...
  • Going back to the CL debate and the meritocracy of playing, I would be agreeable with somehow incorporating the existing title holder into the competition to “defend” their title irrespective of their league position.

I get the mechanics might get messy but I like the sentiment
  • My earlier post was incorrect, it was Bill Shankley’s grandson who wants his grandfather’s statue removed.
  • edited April 2021

Let’s get back to focusing on what’s important and stand together to show that there is No Room For Racism.

From West Ham's Facebook Page
  • BBC now reporting that all six English clubs will withdraw.

Well, what a mad couple of days that was.

As you were people, as you were.
  • They shall now be referred to as Vermin by me
  • Clubs are “starting the process of withdrawing from the agreement”. Good luck with that as it was apparently a 167 page legal contract they signed up to. Let’s hope the owners are hit with massive fines for breach of contract.
  • Arsenal the only team to actually apologise in their statement, as far as I can see.
  • edited April 2021
    This Super League is no more

It has ceased to be!

Its expired and gone to meet it's maker!

It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace!

If you hadn't nailed it to the perch it'd be pushing up the daisies!

It's metabolic processes are now history!

It's off the twig! It's kicked the bucket, 'it's shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!!

THIS IS AN EX-SUPER-LEAGUE!
  • This is a section of the Arsenal statement:
    Arsenal said:

Stability is essential for the game to prosper and we will continue to strive to bring the security the game needs to move forward.

The system needs to be fixed. We must work together to find solutions which protect the future of the game and harness the extraordinary power football has to get us on the edge of our seats.

“To bring security”. This is a club that gave a £300k+ per week contract to a player they then froze out of the first team. A club that sacked their mascot then spent £100m on players and gave their captain an enormous payrise.

Both Arsenal and Spurs I’ve said that they didn’t want to “miss out” when they were asked to join in.

It’s outrageous how stupid they think people are. If I was a fan of either club I’d be furious at the contempt they’ve been treated with.
  • Someone told me UEFA have fronted money to bring the clubs back. I hope they are on a wind-up
  • So how much would it take to pay off the son of the Ruler of Dubai? 😂

• Declan wasn’t a fan then
  • Why weren’t we in the Super League?
    Because we weren’t asked.
    I have absolutely no doubt that Sully would have signed us up if asked. Probably the same as every other owner in the league.