Comments

• I notice they didn't include the footage of him stuck on the United bus outside the Boleyn then. 😂
  • I think it’s a good signing, I’m excited to see what he does for us.
  • As he can’t play Sunday and can’t play in the cup I expect he’ll just be on the bench for the Villa and Fulham.
  • Hope it works out ok. I'm worried it will be like Jack Wilshere all over again. I was excited then too....
  • Think he could do a good job for us. I don’t think he will be another Wilshere🤞.
    Still not convinced by the finances / no option to buy contract.
  • MrsGrey said:

Hope it works out ok. I'm worried it will be like Jack Wilshere all over again. I was excited then too....

I think there’s a difference between him and Wilshere, as Jack was a walki... limping sick note. Jesse is more just out of favour at Man U
  • edited January 2021
    as a loan deal it makes sense, but for 1.5m plus his wages equating to around 3m for potentially 17 games he can play seems pretty poor value. Especially with no option to purchase. All seems a Win Win for Man U who can chuck us a player to try and reform then make a decent sale later potentially and for us his opportunities might be limited due to the players he would need to push out the team to get in.
  • edited January 2021
    I am not sure what to think of this signing, so will place my faith in Moyes who I feel has done more than enough to earn that.
  • as a loan deal it makes sense, but for 1.5m plus his wages equating to around 3m for potentially 17 games he can play seems pretty poor value. Especially with no option to purchase. All seems a Win Win for Man U who can chuck us a player to try and reform then make a decent sale later potentially and for us his opportunities might be limited due to the players he would need to push out the team to get in.

I did some maths earlier, and if all the reports I’ve seen are true then we have spent more for the next five months on Benrahma than on Lingard
  • edited January 2021
    I don’t think he has a future at United.

He’s now in his prime, he was due to be a free agent in the summer but they extended his deal by 12 months. Presumably to get a fee for him.

There is no way they will be handing him a new long term contract based on his recent playing time &, if they do, he would be stupid to accept it based on his recent lack of appearances. It all points to him being sold in the summer, unless he does something pretty special here. This is not a 21 year old. United offering a 28/29 year old who does not play a new contract is not going to happen.

Look at this as a trial period for us. If he impresses us, we may sign him permanently in the summer.
  • Welcome Jesse.
    Hope this works.
  • If we don’t sign a striker I won’t be happy 😂
  • alderz said:

as a loan deal it makes sense, but for 1.5m plus his wages equating to around 3m for potentially 17 games he can play seems pretty poor value. Especially with no option to purchase. All seems a Win Win for Man U who can chuck us a player to try and reform then make a decent sale later potentially and for us his opportunities might be limited due to the players he would need to push out the team to get in.

I did some maths earlier, and if all the reports I’ve seen are true then we have spent more for the next five months on Benrahma than on Lingard
    Probably, but the difference is we get to keep Benrahma! At the end of the season we get nothing more from Lingard.
  • I liked this bit

"It's important that a player and manager have a good relationship. He's got really good morals, he gets his team working hard and I've had a chat with him already and there are no guarantees - it's down to me to put the work in and put the graft in, to get into the team and play well week-in, week-out."

Moyes said: "I've seen him play as a young boy, when he was still a wide player on the right, and I've seen him play off the left. He's played for England as a number 10, he's played for England as a number eight, and I actually think if we needed him as a false nine, he could do that as well.
  • edited January 2021
    He is the second West Ham player to have Madonna pen a song about him
  • Pink elephants and lemonade...

• “and I actually think if we needed him as a false nine, he could do that as well”.

False 9

I’m in
  • That’s it then 11 lingards and we are sorted, all this reliance on a loan signing who will go back to his parent club at the end of season
  • This signing also frees up Bowen (one of the most regularly subbed players) to play up top too, if we need cover for Antonio or Antonio needs to come off. Saves us using Yarmolenko who is a different sort of player. Bowen can go up top, Lingard to the right. Not ideal, but probably in Moyes thinking.
  • Not sure where this leaves Lanzini. I'd imagine he's behind Lingard and Benrahma in the No10 role, behind Lingard and Benrahma on the left wing and behind Lingard and Fornals as back-up CM.

Out the door in the summer?
  • If lingard does well can see Man U offering him a new contract
  • If lingard does well can see Man U offering him a new contract

Maybe. But he may not sign it. If he's successful here, and Moyes has shown more faith in him than Ole, then maybe he'd rather stay with us.
  • Or rather pick up more money at Man Utd with a new contract
  • Or, if he does well, enjoys being London based, gets on well with his new team mates he could say I like it here can we make this permanent. If Man U are busy looking at other targets in the summer it may suit them to let him go.
  • Here’s hoping!
  • Well me personally can’t see him getting much game time I’m happy with the first 11 so can only see sub role for him at best he’s not played a lot of football so also needs to get match fit, and OGS says he as a future at Man Utd so if we do sign him it be to an over inflated figure
  • edited January 2021
    He will get game time. The only certainties in that side are Ogbonna, Coufal, Cresswell, SouDec, Antonio & Bowen. Fornals & Benrahma will be rotated & there is a risk Antonio will not make it until May with no further injuries. He will get a chance & it is down to him to take it.

Not to mention the threat of COVID.
  • Yes true wouldn’t you just think there was more pressing positions that needed sorting ie a non false number 9
  • I agree, but Moyes has either decided against it for now or is still trying to get one in.
  • He’s had 3 weeks lol can’t see it happening now