Jesse Lingard signs on loan - official

Comments

• Do we have a gentleman's agreement for " first dibs?"
  • Yes but he can’t play against United for us for the remainder of his career but sssh don’t tell the fa 😂😂
  • I think he only signed a one year extension so he can just say if you don't sell me I will sit on your bench for a year and take my wages knowing I just put myself in the shop window already and will get many offers, or you can get a fee for me now. Unless OGS convinces him he has a starting place he will be gone. Hopefully to us.
  • From Goal.com 31/12/2020
    Manchester United have triggered the one-year extension option on Jesse Lingard’s contract, theoretically ensuring that the midfielder could remain at Old Trafford until the summer of 2022.
    Following now-typical procedure at the club, United have activated his contract clause to extend his current deal in order to prevent the possibility of losing him on a free transfer.
    It is understood that any extension would have little to no bearing on his long-term future with United.
    Lingard most recently made United’s squad for their 2-0 Carabao Cup quarter-final win over Everton earlier this month, though he failed to feature off the bench again, further stretching a near-three month on-field exodus.

• It's common practise to renew or offer new contracts to players going out on loan. it gives the owning club more control.
  • It’s only a strategy that works if you think you have a player that can do a job elsewhere on roughly the wage you are paying him. If lingard, say, is actually a failure and another club only wants him at £20k a week, then extending his contract makes little sense.
  • Not worried about his wages once he leaves. The extended contract is there to enhance the fee.
  • If Man U were to let Lingard go in summer, why would he chose Everton over us, as the papers were suggesting that Everton would compete for him. He seems settled and happy with us
  • edited February 2021
    I guess there would be a variety of factors (including wages, contract length, if he prefers NW to London, if he gets on well with staff and team-mates) but I imagine that having played for a top club, he'd want an opportunity to challenge for honours, play in Europe etc. t might be a matter of opinion as to whether that's more likely at Everton under Ancelotti or West Ham under Moyes.

Personally, I could see many reasons why he would choose Everton over West Ham.
  • Lingard has family in Manchester including a daughter so while he might be happy to go on loan for a few months he might not want to move away from home on a permanent basis
  • I guess the decision might be guided by where both teams finish in a dozen weeks or so
  • Lingard has family in Manchester including a daughter so while he might be happy to go on loan for a few months he might not want to move away from home on a permanent basis

He's also been quite public about caring for his mum and his brothers in the past year too.
  • Sometimes a move is as good as a holiday or something...sure that can be used as a saying!
  • A change is as good as a rest.
  • A change is as good as a rest.

So Mrs E keeps telling me :o
  • Snippet of an interview with Jesse Lingard, the interview itself is on MOTDx, available to stream from this evening.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/56517074
  • All the media talk now is that Utd have changed their minds due to his form with us and they’re going to offer him a new contract.
    What may work in our favour though is he would knows he’s a first team regular with us but a first team squad member with them.
  • All the media talk now is that Utd have changed their minds due to his form with us and they’re going to offer him a new contract.
    What may work in our favour though is he would knows he’s a first team regular with us but a first team squad member with them.

And also, we were 5th before he signed, and are 5th still, so whilst his impact has been influential, it’s not the single-handed season changing saviour the media and pundits will make you believe he is.
  • edited March 2021
    Although without him in the team, not sure we have another player who’s in such good form that could have achieved what he has, so perhaps then we would be 3-4 places lower🤔
  • I'm not sure I've heard Lingard described as a season saving saviour by anyone.
  • IronHerb said:

I'm not sure I've heard Lingard described as a season saving saviour by anyone.

Maybe not but the analysis of all our results since tends to focus around him in my view
  • His form has been unreal, but do think this is a purple patch

He has 5 goals and 2 assist in 7 games, so he has a goal contribution every game...that's insane

No chance he'd be able to do that long term, so I think that United will let him go...don't think he'd be happy being a squad player after this year and I don't think United will let this purple patch blind them as he isn't really a starting winger for a team who have aspirations for winning the title

If Lingard decides to extend at United then we see where his priorities are, think he should understand how he has a good thing here
  • 5 goals and 2 assists in 7 games makes that right. He has been the standout player since he started.
  • I get a feeling Man U will offer him a contract extension and take him back
  • Depends if he wants to sign it though. However good he has been for us, that doesn’t take away the fact that Man Utd’s best player plays in the same position as him and is basically undroppable. If he signs a new contract then he still won’t really play.
  • Could they extend his contract and still loan him to us. His stock will go up if this season goes the way we all want it to
  • I have to admit that the renaissance of the young up and coming Jesse Lingard has been both a joy and total surprise! Yes, it's more touching because he's doing it for West Ham. But I think I still would've been really pleased for him if it was somewhere else.

Who in their right mind would imagine he'd play for England again?

Who in their right mind would also imagine I'd be back again ;)
  • Baz we are Hammers who in their right mind would imagine we have a right mind.
  • Baz is back!
  • Bazshuayi said:

Who in their right mind would also imagine I'd be back again ;)

Have you been away then? ;)