Jesse Lingard signs on loan - official

Comments

• Ole has said that he’s a Man U player through and through and will only be with us until the season ends.
  • Ole has said that he’s a Man U player through and through and will only be with us until the season ends.

Course he did, he doesn't want any low-ball offers.
  • Cuz1 said:

Well me personally can’t see him getting much game time I’m happy with the first 11 so can only see sub role for him at best he’s not played a lot of football so also needs to get match fit, and OGS says he as a future at Man Utd so if we do sign him it be to an over inflated figure

Think that’s what I said 😂😂
  • If lingard does well can see Man U offering him a new contract

I can't see this at all tbh, he's really not been in Ole's thinking at all this season, has only played in 3 Cup games. At his age, he's got no chance of getting back into regular football at Man Utd, imo, so they're just trying to give him some football to boost his price in the summer.
  • I think Lingard knows where he stands with Man U, so if he has a successful loan period I can see him making the switch. If not, he won’t have a future with Man U (or West Ham) anyway.
  • Keep it up Jesse and it'll be a steal
  • Well his scores 2 goals in first game, enough said
  • They are never going to guarantee him football so if he begins to enjoy himself here and gets regular starts I can see him deciding to move on for good in the summer. The bigger question may turn out to be if its with us? We would need convince him we are on the up, otherwise he may well get offers from the likes of Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester, Everton etc.
  • edited February 2021
    Let’s not get carried away based on a debut performance.

He needs to keep these levels up now. I think it’s easy to watch him have a good debut & then start talking about him getting a 4 year deal & how much he will cost.

Let’s ensure he keeps those standards high & it has to be a case of he wants to earn the right for us to consider buying him, not just what do we have to do to convince him.

Another great performance today will help.
  • Also better then the past donkey s
  • Lukerz said:

Let’s not get carried away based on a debut performance.

He needs to keep these levels up now. I think it’s easy to watch him have a good debut & then start talking about him getting a 4 year deal & how much he will cost.

Let’s ensure he keeps those standards high & it has to be a case of he wants to earn the right for us to consider buying him, not just what do we have to do to convince him.

Another great performance today will help.

If stays or goes , the higher up the table we finish, we should attain a better quality player, far better then “king” people keep banging on about.
  • MrsGrey said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/feb/20/strikerless-west-ham-find-new-approach-thanks-to-lingard-gamble

A positive article about West Ham, by Steinberg. I wonder if he was drunk? ;-)

Not really, he was mostly writing about a Man Utd player.
  • When Lingard was spoken of as coming to us my view was good player but not what we need, he has however made us much more dangerous and proved he is a great finisher.

Moyes has reached the stage of trust that if he said his Mum was playing on the wing next week I would say fair enough.
  • She’s not that quick
  • Nor is Yarmalenko but he gets a game!
  • I don't think it's any exaggeration, but Lingard at present seems to be playing at a different level to those around him in terms of vision, ability, speed of movement and thought. You have to wonder why it's not been working out for him at Manure.
    Another gem of a signing (Hugill apart), albeit a loan, by the Moyesiah.
  • When players like Lingard and Evans prove that they are high quality premier league players after leaving United, it makes you realise how poorly managed the club has been. If the AMs they have are SO GOOD that Lingard can’t even get off the bench, they should be challenging for titles year in year out
  • According to BBC Lingard has scored 3 in 4 games playing for us and Moyes but only 3 in 36 playing for Ole.
  • He’s played 36 games under OGS?

Really??!!!
  • He’s played 36 games under OGS?

Really??!!!

He's actually played 62 times under OGS for a total of 3.494 minutes or less than an hour a pop
  • Fantastic feet and direct play. He seems to be a player that revels being the cream of the crop. I don’t think we could make a better signing in the summer
  • Manchester United have refused to sanction a clause that would permit West Ham to automatically sign England midfielder Jesse Lingard, 28 for a set price at the end of the season. (Times - subscription required)
  • he may ask for a move if he feels he has more playing time with us and we are in Europe next year
  • Lingard strikes me as the type of player that believes he's good enough to play at the very top level (and indeed he has), which is obviously at odds with what OGS believes.

I can't see any reason for Lingard wanting to stay at Man U all the time Ole's there, so he may well push for a move in the summer.
  • That’s not exactly the way it was. According to Sky, Utd refused to include a clause with a buy option in the loan deal. Semantics I know but the Times statement makes it look as if there was a clause.
  • Pointless statement/article from the Times

Either there is a contractual clause (in which case Man Utd cannot then afterwards refuse to “sanction it”) or there isn’t (in which case there is nothing to sanction)

It seems there isn’t a clause so the only issues in the summer are:

Does he want to stay
    Do we want him to stay
    And if the answer to both of those is yes, then can a fee be agreed between the two clubs
  • Manchester United have refused to sanction a clause that would permit West Ham to automatically sign England midfielder Jesse Lingard, 28 for a set price at the end of the season. (Times - subscription required)

That’s not exactly the way it was. According to Sky, Utd refused to include a clause with a buy option in the loan deal. Semantics I know but the Times statement makes it look as if there was a clause.

Is it the "set price" that's the basis for the refusal, or did ManU just want to get him off the wage bill while they monitored his performances?