Board/Fan Relationship

Comments

• edited February 2018

I never really loved the stadium after the North bank went. Had a couple of season tickets in the Bobby Moore lower, some great evenings, but many tragic silent games lacking in anything. I think not putting all the Bobby Moore stand holders in the same part of the new ground was a mistake. The owners are football fans, but from up high, they miss judged that one big time. Some safe standing and a few tweaks and it will be a good ground.

The new BML is a different size and shape to the one in Upton Park. We were all offered a like for like transfer but some of us chose to move to a different stand.
  • edited February 2018
    Well, if you can't get a good looking stadium for near enough £1billion, it would be a poor state of affairs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5139907/Bill-new-Tottenham-stadium-soars-1bn.html
  • Not to worry, I expect Levy will sell it to Real Madrid in a few years for 5 Billion....
  • Apples and pairs
  • The original estimate was £400m, the planning application had it at £750m, now it looks like being nearly £1b.

Even if it came in on budget, you'd still want something half decent for 3/4 of a billion...
  • I wouldn’t worry about Spurs stadium and the cost, I expect it knock ours out the park unfortunately.

We’re going to have to make some changes to ours hopefully making it a better experience

Good news today, Brady has responded with a 5000 word letter to the RWHFAG and his some short term and long term changes to be made to the badge, stadium, heritage etc and has offered to meet them again on Wednesday.

That’s progress I’d say
  • Spurs might end up with the best ground in Europe but at £750- £1000 mil is going to be a massive drain on their finances for years to come. Increased matchday revenue is not going to cover a loan that big . On a deal like that you pay an upfront fee of around 1%, the Margin at the moment is about 1.80% plus you pay Libor on top of that . Banks will almost certainly want them to hedge the loan against interest rate rises which costs even more money . If Spurs don't get regular CL football they could be trouble. Yes they will have NFL matches /Concerts but they will also have increase ground maintenance costs. I suppose their cheese room might bring in abit .
  • We’re going to have to make some changes to ours hopefully making it a better experience

Unless the board are prepared to foot the bill for any changes then I think its unlikely the GLA will spend any more money on anything
  • edited February 2018

Good news today, Brady has responded with a 5000 word letter to the RWHFAG and his some short term and long term changes to be made to the badge, stadium, heritage etc and has offered to meet them again on Wednesday.

If they are going to revamp the badge (again) then I hope the proposals will be put out to a poll, the same way the last redesign was.

I wouldn't like to think that a group of fans who shout loudest get to override what was a democratic decision already made.

People might get ideas ;wink
  • edited February 2018

It was an online vote conducted over 48 hours by youGov.56% voted in favour.
    Hardly representative. Did anybody on here vote ?
  • edited February 2018
    It was open to all people with a past purchase history, and the poll was carried out on behalf of the club, and followed a previous round of fan consultation and LOTS of debate and discussion on social media/fan sites. The whole process was also covered at every stage in the national press etc.

If eligible people didn't take the opportunity to vote, that's their choice.

But it's not acceptable to just ignore all those who cared enough to vote on the grounds that 'it wasn't representative' imo.

Even if you think the results of that poll should be set aside (for whatever reason), are you actually saying that if the club propose a new design, there shouldn't be a new poll? And that any new 'approval process' should be limited to the folks in the RWHFAG? The views of fans not in that group should be ignored, no, not ignored - never even solicited?

Won't that make any new choice even less 'democratic' than the current one based on an (in your opinion) unrepresentative consultation?

(Note: I'm not saying they can't bring forward a new design because lots of people voted for the old one.)
  • edited February 2018
    My old man just got told his Palace season ticket can’t be renewed; reason being they are putting safe standing in that area, havent heard anything about standing for the Olympic Park?
  • Think it could only be 'hoping to' atm, since it would require Government approval.
  • Only 10k voted on the badge change, so around 5,600 were for the new design, just over 10% of a home match day WHUFC crowd.

The club can’t be held responsible for the lack of response, I do think many WHU fans are kicking themselves that they didn’t make as much noise at the appropriate time

It’s good that the club are looking at it though, I can’t believe that RWHFAG would think this fell solely on them to decide what the new badge looks like if it does change again. From reading many comments on the subject it appears to me the badge design itself isn’t the major issue, it’s the word “London”
  • MrsGrey said:

If they are going to revamp the badge (again) then I hope the proposals will be put out to a poll, the same way the last redesign was.

I wouldn't like to think that a group of fans who shout loudest get to override what was a democratic decision already made.

People might get ideas ;wink
    I’m just glad there’s a group that’s “shouting” at all

;ok
  • Andy Townsend?

Missed this first time round, good heavens no lol

• I’m just glad there’s a group that’s “shouting” at all

;ok

But do you agree that if the Group persuade the club to revamp the badge, the club should put it out to wider consultation?
  • Cuz1 said:

Cuz1 said:

SCHB, who was your cousin if you don’t mind me asking mate

Craig Fleming he played for Oldham and Norwich (captain) he mentioned he’d been called some choice things over the years, but he did play at RB (if my old memory serves me right) and had a bit of a run in with Julian Dicks down the chicken run side, I can’t repeat how he felt at the time but it certainly had an effect on him during that game
    Read up about him sir Alex said really good man marker job on giggs when he played for Oldham not a bad endorsement from a top boss
    Cuz, he considers himself very fortunate to of played professionally for many years, he captained Norwich for a number of years, he suffered play off loss and triumph and played every minute of their PL relegation season and they gave him a testimonial.

At Oldham, the SAF comment came out around the time when he marked Mark Hughes out of the game for almost 120 minutes before losing him for a split second and he equalized in the FA cup semi final, then got trounced 4-1 in the replay

He had a groin and MUFC were reported to be interested, his injury put paid to that and they signed David May instead.
  • I think Spurs are at the next stage we may hopefully arrive at when the current owners move on, Spurs equivalent was likely Alan Sugars stint at the helm as in capable businessman who was not necessarily suited to the high risk high outlay premiership football as I think it may have offended some of his natural business instincts. I also remember at the time he seemed to be involved in quite a bit of the football stuff as Sully likes to be. I think they both have extreme confidence in themselves through previous success in business and judgement but find that football is a whole new arena and it's needs are quite ridiculous at times.

• Claretandbkuesky I make you right in the comparison between Sugar and Sully
  • I cant get overly interested in the badge as I think what we have is pretty smart at best and inoffensive at worst. The least of many more important issues.

I am however a big fan of the group in creating a voice for supporters who feel they have been sold something as one thing and ended up with another, and I hope they are able to retain and grow support and provide that voice for years to come. I view it in a way similar to union representation in that the fans need a voice as a football fan is so much more than a customer who can take their custom elsewhere and if feeling treated badly need meaningful representation.

I would like to see meaningful supporter representation at boardroom level, someone to hold to account and if necessary ask for protest action. Without these aims being specifically asked for, as far as I know, this is happening as this group are holding to account a lot of stuff on which the move was sold to us on and the club appear to be in the first stages now of taking them seriously, something which just like a union wouldn't happen if the union had 100 members in a 5000 employee factory. There are some issues around the group not least this divisive term 'real' west ham fans, but I have confidence these things will get ironed out and hopefully a large inclusive group can be got behind by anyone who wishes, and a voice will indeed be permanently established.

This group has only come about since November and as far as I know the people responsible are not professionals in this field and so have done a pretty fantastic job of achieving what they have so far, to have expected not one foot wrong, a couple in hindsight mistakes to have not been made would be pretty unreasonable. I feel sure that when union representation began there would have been some who just cast those attempting to establish it as troublemakers etc, but once established all were benefitting.

Establish power and influence through numbers and then wield that power and influence with professionalism and respect without ever allowing the power to be abused.
  • C&B

But the RWH... group is exclusive, and selective, so they can not legitimately be said to represent West Ham fans in general.

I would hope that any kind of substantive proposals the group made would be put to the wider fan base if the board are going to consider them.
  • The meeting with the Club was with multiple fans groups.
  • I find the whole thing bizarre really. All football fans have a means to protest and that is by not going to games. Why on earth a group of fans believe that they have the right to tell the board what to do is beyond me. If they want board representation then why don't they invest a few million and it's theirs.
    i don't get this "sold to us" idea either as who bought into anything. The club decided they were moving and fans had a choice to go or not to go
    Maybe someone can clearly explain to me what these so called real fans are doing in my behalf and what they expect to achieve.
  • edited February 2018

But the RWH... group is exclusive, and selective

Very selective - and on what basis isn't clear. Maybe a group member can shed some light on why some people who wanted to join the FB group were allowed in and others were ignored.

• Herb

Fair enough, although the impetus appeared to come from RWH.

I feel my point still stands, however.
  • Grey
    How can anybody be said to represent the wider fan base if the wider fan base are not organised in any way. What is the mechanism to put proposals to the 'wider fan base'.
    Your argument is an argument to do nothing. It may well be that you hold that exact point of view. Thats fine as it stands
    However, you shouldn't sit in judgement of a large group of people who are not happy with the status quo, who have a list of primary objectives, and who are conducting themselves in such a way, that they have the attention of the very group with which they have a complaint. One meeting already held, and another potentially on the agenda. They are not claiming to represent West Ham Fans in General - because that is not possible. They dont want people who join who do not share their core views, and they are wary of club 'plants'.

If the RWH group were a union, I'd be happy to join it. Anybody who does not like their approach is perfectly at liberty to form a "RealHappywitheverythingat WestHamFangroup" get yourself a facebook page and crack on, to vote for no change to the club's current policies.
  • edited February 2018
    bbb

This isn't the first time you have (wilfully?) mis-stated my viewpoints/positions.

I'm not going to bother to respond to your post, since it has nothing to do with what I said or suggested.

If you can be bothered to actually read what I post, and respond to that, fair enough, otherwise it's just a waste of keystrokes.

• There's a difference between 'represent the views' and 'be representative of the views.'
  • edited February 2018
    They dont want people who join who do not share their core views, and they are wary of club 'plants'.
    So they are representing only the views of those who agree with them and have joined the group.

And are happy to ignore the views of those who don't, or the views of those who haven't joined the group.?

That's fair enough ... but then they can't claim to be representative of the wider fan base.

Maybe that's how they come up with their definiton of a 'real fan'. A real fan agrees with them ;ok