Board/Fan Relationship

Comments

• MrsGrey said:

I can think of many visiting players who have gleefully noted how easy it was to get the home crowd on the players' backs.

That's a comment you could make about most if not all home fans IMHO!

• Am pretty sure to get own fans to cheer is to give them s omething to cheer about

It only takes one bonds tackle
    Brooking pass
    Devonshire’s run
    Pop pops one in
  • imagelost said:

Am pretty sure to get own fans to cheer is to give them s omething to cheer about

It only takes one bonds tackle
    Brooking pass
    Devonshire’s run
    Pop pops one in

It did not always happen,or we would won the league,,, but you know what i mean
  • It was a bit Tasty when Dimi was knocking a few in. Now we have Arnie, Pea, and lanzini. I think that could get the crowd going once we are settled and strong.
  • edited February 2018
    fortune, pretty much ;ok

I was suggesting that your comment that the fans made it difficult for visitors at Upton Park was only half the story. Sometimes they made it difficult for our own players.

So, the 'tough atmosphere' for visiting players is a feature of the crowd, and not a feature of the ground itself, imo.
  • the Boleyn a truly iconic English football ground

I probably agree with you but you used the "I" word so I can't, on principal
  • I never really loved the stadium after the North bank went. Had a couple of season tickets in the Bobby Moore lower, some great evenings, but many tragic silent games lacking in anything. I think not putting all the Bobby Moore stand holders in the same part of the new ground was a mistake. The owners are football fans, but from up high, they miss judged that one big time. Some safe standing and a few tweaks and it will be a good ground.

• Why should they - they are playing away. There is much more bound up in playing well at home.

I think a lack of investment in strong and pacey players cost us dear changing stadium, and this season. I hope Moyes addresses this in the summer.
  • edited February 2018
    I was bored

Our record in the top flight at the Boleyn

58/59 W15 D3 L3 6th, lost to Birmingham (9th), Leicester (19th) and Leeds (15th)
    59/60 W12 D3 L6
    60/61 W12 D4 L5
    61/62 W11 D6 L4
    62/63 W8 D6 L7
    63/64 W8 D7 L6
    64/65 W14 D2 L5
    65/66 W12 D5 L4
    66/67 W8 D6 L7
    67/68 W8 D5 L8
    68/69 W10 D8 L3 8th, lost to Everton (3rd), Ipswich (12th) and Arsenal (4th)
    69/70 W8 D8 L5
    70/71 W6 D8 L7
    71/72 W10 D6 L5
    72/73 W12 D5 L4
    73/74 W7 D7 L7
    74/75 W10 D6 L5
    75/76 W10 D5 L6
    76/77 W9 D6 L6
    77/78 W8 D6 L7

81/82 W9 D10 L2 9th, lost to Arsenal (5th), Forest (12th)
    82/83 W13 D3 L5
    83/84 W10 D4 L7
    84/85 W7 D8 L6
    85/86 W17 D2 L2 3rd, lost to Luton (9th) and Chelsea (6th)
    86/87 W10 D4 L7

Average W10.2 D5.5 L5.3

87/88 W6 D9 L5 Div 1 reduced to 21 teams
    88/89 W3 D6 L10 reduced to 20

91/92 W6 D6 L9 back up to 22 teams

93/94 W6 D7 L8
    94/95 W9 D6 L6
    95/96 W9 D5 L5 back down to 20 teams again
    96/97 W7 D6 L6
    97/98 W13 D4 L2 8th, lost to Newcastle (15th) and Southampton (12th)
    98/99 W11 D3 L5
    99/00 W11 D5 L3 9th, Man U (1st), Everton (13th) and Boro (12th)
    00/01 W6 D6 L7
    01/02 W12 D4 L3 7th under Roeder!!!! Fulham (13th), Spurs (9th) and Man U (3rd)
    02/03 W5 D7 L7

05/06 W9 D3 L7
    06/07 W8 D2 L9
    07/08 W7 D7 L5
    08/09 W9 D2 L8
    09/10 W7 D5 L7
    10/11 W5 D5 L9

12/13 W9 D6 L4
    13/14 W7 D3 L9
    14/15 W9 D4 L6
    15/16 W9 D7 L3

A bit of a mixture........
  • ;nonono ;clap ;bowdown
  • 85/86 ;bowdown
  • edited February 2018
    Cheers Aslef - this season so far it has been w5 d5 l4 (Spurs and Liverpool)

Last season it was w7 d4 l8

Look about average to me. A lot of this is not facts but emotions. And once people get emotional then common sense stops working.
  • edited February 2018
    There have been repeated requests by mods not to post ‘personal’ comments aimed at other users.

Yet theses posts continued so we’ve edited them and pm’d the poster’s. Repeatedly.

The message is still not getting through.

So.

Posts containing personal comments will just get deleted and I won’t be informing anyone by pm.

• The point being is that having seats so far from the pitch is not conducive to a good atmosphere. The Boleyn was great because it was intimidating to the opposition and the fans were so close to the pitch that the noise was contained better. Not the case at the OS.
  • Personally, I'd change that to

The Boleyn was great because when it was intimidating to the opposition

Looking at the stats ASLEF posted, it is clear that there were a lot of games in any given season where the opposition managed to come away with the points, so it is unreasonable, imo, to suggest that the Boleyn was a permanent fortress that teams hated to play at.

When the LS has been rocking, I haven't seen any issue with noise containment.

It might even be that the acoustics are better, but unless the fans turning up make the effort, it won't matter if they are as good as the Albert Hall.

• Nobody said it was a permanent fortress but it did have seasons where we were difficult to beat.

The number of former players that didn’t like playing there is also testament to that, my cousin being one of them and he played at many PL grounds.

The chicken run was intimidating to suggest that the ground didn’t do that much over the last 25-30+ years is nonsense imo

Perhaps it’s just me, I was fortunate to do the most home games in a season in 85-86, pure luck that was and our best season In terms of losses and a bit of a fortress, many a night we got home with an inferior team on paper against the bigger boys

That’s not emotional, that’s just a fact and not one I’d dismiss as easily either.

• A lot of this is not facts but emotions. And once people get emotional then common sense stops working.

Not in my case it doesn’t. I have great memories of the old place and my common sense is fine.
  • edited February 2018
    Slizzy

You seem to be arguing against things no one has said.

You are free to be as sad over our departure from the Boleyn as you like. However, please also accept that others, who are also Hammers, may not share your feelings.

I would suggest that the times we were difficult to beat had more to do with the sides we put out, than the simple fact that we were playing at the Boleyn.

It isn't, imo, the ground that creates an atmosphere, but the fans.

As has been made clear by those who have been at the LS, on occasions it has rocked as much as the Boleyn ever did.

The common factor in the 'rocking'? Fans getting behind the team.
  • I do accept their feelings, I just don’t agree with them, is that okay?

Someone who has been a couple of times thinks that emotion takes over and a lack of common sense is then the order of the day, quite disrespectful imo

That ground was intimidating for many to say it wasn’t or didn’t have that effect at any time in the last 30 is as I mentioned is nonsense, imo .I’ve got a family member a former PL player who is quoted on it, not sure why some appear to be in denial about it, it’s okay it’s doesnt take away from our current home
  • . Upton Park was usually no real benefit to us as far as I can remember.

This is what I disagree with.....his opinion, of course, but 100% disagree with it.
  • Upton Park was imitimadating but when the west stand was redeveloped both the west and east stands were a fair distance from the pitch and it lost a lot of that
  • TBH I was a lot more upset when they knocked the north bank down.
  • edited February 2018
    I do accept their feelings, I just don’t agree with them, is that okay?
    Yes; that would be where I wrote:

You are free to be as sad over our departure from the Boleyn as you like.
    so not sure why the aggressive question.

And these are the bits where I think you are arguing against what no one has said:
    That ground was intimidating for many to say it wasn’t or didn’t have that effect at any time in the last 30 is as I mentioned is nonsense, imo
    I can't think of anyone who has said that (the ground wasn't ever intimidating), never mind many.
    not sure why some appear to be in denial about it,
    Who is in denial about it?
    it’s okay it’s doesnt take away from our current home
    Who has suggested it has?
  • Kevin kilbane said it on motd2
  • Ham

I don't think anyone has suggested that no one said it, or that it was never true.
  • SCHB, who was your cousin if you don’t mind me asking mate
  • Sorry I misread your post. Thought you said no one said it was intimidating ;doh
  • Cuz1 said:

SCHB, who was your cousin if you don’t mind me asking mate

I reckon Ronaldo

• Hamstew said:

Cuz1 said:

SCHB, who was your cousin if you don’t mind me asking mate

I reckon Ronaldo

I have it on good authority that it was the great Nigel Quashie.