Board/Fan Relationship

Comments

• edited February 2018
    Ham

;ok It's not immediately clear from the context. I'll add a bit in brackets.
  • Andy Townsend?
  • I do accept their feelings, I just don’t agree with them, is that okay?

Someone who has been a couple of times thinks that emotion takes over and a lack of common sense is then the order of the day, quite disrespectful imo

That ground was intimidating for many to say it wasn’t or didn’t have that effect at any time in the last 30 is as I mentioned is nonsense, imo .I’ve got a family member a former PL player who is quoted on it, not sure why some appear to be in denial about it, it’s okay it’s doesnt take away from our current home

Sorry to say this but, IMO, the ground is never the intimidating part, you play a game behind closed doors at any football ground and you aren't going to be intimidated in any way shape or form, regardless of where the ground is.
    Now, how the fans view the ground and how they act is a different story, again IMO, the Boylean was intimidating, when the fans wanted it to be, it was our home, our place.
    There is 0 reason why the Olympic stadium can't be just as intimidating, if not more so, given the fact that there is 20k more of us in the place. There is no point clinging to what could be. The Boylean is gone, she has been knocked down, whether you believe you were sold a "lie" or not, we can't turn back the clock.
    What we can do, is as supporters of the team, is turn up and make as much noise as possible.
    Throughout our lives as adults, we buy and sell houses to improve and change our lot in life, maybe because we have a bigger family, maybe for schools or just because we like the new area. We remember fondly the places that come before, but that doesn't stop us loving the new place we go to.
  • Sometimes visiting players were intimidated.

Sometimes they were not.

It was always the same ground. So if it was something intrinsic to the ground, it would always have had the same effect. Which obviously it didn't, so it wasn't.

You could say that because the ground was smaller, the fans were closer to the pitch and this (when the fans were in the right frame of mind) could enhance the effect.

But as moojor says, at the OS you are massively increasing the number of fans.

So now, there are more fans to make a noise and so (when they are in the right frame of mind) the size of the stadium can enhance the intimidatory effect.

2 different stadia, one common factor: the fans.
  • The season I picked West Ham as my club 86/87....

Sorry guys all my fault...
  • Hamstew said:

Cuz1 said:

SCHB, who was your cousin if you don’t mind me asking mate

I reckon Ronaldo

That did make me ;lol
  • edited February 2018
    Cuz1 said:

Craig Fleming he played for Oldham and Norwich (captain) he mentioned he’d been called some choice things over the years, but he did play at RB (if my old memory serves me right) and had a bit of a run in with Julian Dicks down the chicken run side, I can’t repeat how he felt at the time but it certainly had an effect on him during that game
  • Hamstew said:

Cuz1 said:

I reckon Ronaldo

I have it on good authority that it was the great Nigel Quashie.
    ;biggrin

Fortunately not!
  • Let me be clear I’m not saying that the Boleyn was always intimidating but it was at certain times and for plenty of the last 25-30 years

At the same time I’m not saying that the LS can’t be intimidating it’s already shown in a few games that the noise levels are insane when it’s rocking, i really hope it’s more intimidating than the Boleyn over the years to come and hopefully we build many memories of it, of course it’s going to take time nearly all these moves do

;ok
  • Cuz1 said:

Craig Fleming he played for Oldham and Norwich (captain) he mentioned he’d been called some choice things over the years, but he did play at RB (if my old memory serves me right) and had a bit of a run in with Julian Dicks down the chicken run side, I can’t repeat how he felt at the time but it certainly had an effect on him during that game
    Read up about him sir Alex said really good man marker job on giggs when he played for Oldham not a bad endorsement from a top boss
  • Moojor said:

Sorry to say this but, IMO, the ground is never the intimidating part, you play a game behind closed doors at any football ground and you aren't going to be intimidated in any way shape or form, regardless of where the ground is.

Well, the way the ground's set up could make it more conducive to a good atmosphere than another when there are people in it. Of course it needs people in it but its structure can also impact how those people are involved in the atmosphere.
    MrsGrey said:

Sometimes visiting players were intimidated.

Sometimes they were not.

It was always the same ground. So if it was something intrinsic to the ground, it would always have had the same effect. Which obviously it didn't, so it wasn't.

Or it could have had the same effect of amplifying the different moods of the audience. When they were fired up, intimidating the opposition, when they were nervous, weighing on our own players.

With the numbers inside the LS it's obviously able to generate noise but I personally feel it's more like a general din, while the Boleyn created was more like a wall of noise.

• Was Craig Fleming referring to pre or post north bank upton Park?
  • The Trevor Brooking and the Bobby Moore were still quite close to the pitch but after the new West Stand opened in 2001 the Chicken Run was a long way from the pitch. To me the atmos changed after that.

There's no such thing as common sense, if there was we wouldn't disagree on anything
  • edited February 2018

I never really loved the stadium after the North bank went. Had a couple of season tickets in the Bobby Moore lower, some great evenings, but many tragic silent games lacking in anything. I think not putting all the Bobby Moore stand holders in the same part of the new ground was a mistake. The owners are football fans, but from up high, they miss judged that one big time. Some safe standing and a few tweaks and it will be a good ground.

The new BML is a different size and shape to the one in Upton Park. We were all offered a like for like transfer but some of us chose to move to a different stand.
  • Not stirring the pot but take a look at spurs new ground now
    ohhh my word its amazing
  • edited February 2018
    Well, if you can't get a good looking stadium for near enough £1billion, it would be a poor state of affairs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5139907/Bill-new-Tottenham-stadium-soars-1bn.html
  • Not to worry, I expect Levy will sell it to Real Madrid in a few years for 5 Billion....
  • to be honest im not sure if the daily mail is a good source
    however what a ground
  • Grey

On another mail article its call spurs ground at 750 million

London stadium cost 701 million...

wow
  • Apples and pairs
  • The original estimate was £400m, the planning application had it at £750m, now it looks like being nearly £1b.

Even if it came in on budget, you'd still want something half decent for 3/4 of a billion...
  • I wouldn’t worry about Spurs stadium and the cost, I expect it knock ours out the park unfortunately.

We’re going to have to make some changes to ours hopefully making it a better experience

Good news today, Brady has responded with a 5000 word letter to the RWHFAG and his some short term and long term changes to be made to the badge, stadium, heritage etc and has offered to meet them again on Wednesday.

That’s progress I’d say
  • Spurs might end up with the best ground in Europe but at £750- £1000 mil is going to be a massive drain on their finances for years to come. Increased matchday revenue is not going to cover a loan that big . On a deal like that you pay an upfront fee of around 1%, the Margin at the moment is about 1.80% plus you pay Libor on top of that . Banks will almost certainly want them to hedge the loan against interest rate rises which costs even more money . If Spurs don't get regular CL football they could be trouble. Yes they will have NFL matches /Concerts but they will also have increase ground maintenance costs. I suppose their cheese room might bring in abit .
  • We’re going to have to make some changes to ours hopefully making it a better experience

Unless the board are prepared to foot the bill for any changes then I think its unlikely the GLA will spend any more money on anything
  • edited February 2018

Good news today, Brady has responded with a 5000 word letter to the RWHFAG and his some short term and long term changes to be made to the badge, stadium, heritage etc and has offered to meet them again on Wednesday.

If they are going to revamp the badge (again) then I hope the proposals will be put out to a poll, the same way the last redesign was.

I wouldn't like to think that a group of fans who shout loudest get to override what was a democratic decision already made.

People might get ideas ;wink
  • edited February 2018

It was an online vote conducted over 48 hours by youGov.56% voted in favour.
    Hardly representative. Did anybody on here vote ?
  • edited February 2018
    It was open to all people with a past purchase history, and the poll was carried out on behalf of the club, and followed a previous round of fan consultation and LOTS of debate and discussion on social media/fan sites. The whole process was also covered at every stage in the national press etc.

If eligible people didn't take the opportunity to vote, that's their choice.

But it's not acceptable to just ignore all those who cared enough to vote on the grounds that 'it wasn't representative' imo.

Even if you think the results of that poll should be set aside (for whatever reason), are you actually saying that if the club propose a new design, there shouldn't be a new poll? And that any new 'approval process' should be limited to the folks in the RWHFAG? The views of fans not in that group should be ignored, no, not ignored - never even solicited?

Won't that make any new choice even less 'democratic' than the current one based on an (in your opinion) unrepresentative consultation?

(Note: I'm not saying they can't bring forward a new design because lots of people voted for the old one.)
  • edited February 2018
    My old man just got told his Palace season ticket can’t be renewed; reason being they are putting safe standing in that area, havent heard anything about standing for the Olympic Park?
  • Think it could only be 'hoping to' atm, since it would require Government approval.
  • Only 10k voted on the badge change, so around 5,600 were for the new design, just over 10% of a home match day WHUFC crowd.

The club can’t be held responsible for the lack of response, I do think many WHU fans are kicking themselves that they didn’t make as much noise at the appropriate time

It’s good that the club are looking at it though, I can’t believe that RWHFAG would think this fell solely on them to decide what the new badge looks like if it does change again. From reading many comments on the subject it appears to me the badge design itself isn’t the major issue, it’s the word “London”