Transfer Window: The Final Two Weeks

So far, we've signed Nayef Aguerd (£31.50m), Flynn Downes (£9.59m), Alphonse Areola (£8.37m), Gianluca Scamacca (£32.40m), Maxwell Cornet (£18.63m) and Thilo Kehrer (£10.1m).

We've also released Andriy Yarmolenko, Ryan Fredericks and David Martin, Mark Noble retired, and Alex Kral's loan expired. We've sold Issa Diop (£16.02m) and loaned out Nikola Vlasic and Arthur Masuaku.

(Fees are from Transfermarkt)

Comments

• Just to confirm (as it was more or less the last post on the old thread), Kehrer announced today, our 6th senior signing of the season:

https://www.whufc.com/news/west-ham-united-sign-germany-international-thilo-kehrer

Will wear the no.24 shirt.
  • Don't forget we got £0.5m sell on fee for Cullen (Anderlecht to Burnley) and £0.5m for Alese to Sunderland.

Every little helps.
  • That’s your FF brain kicking in
  • edited August 2022
    Soooooooo squad depth

GK: Fabianski, Areola, Randolph, Trott
    CB: Zouma, Kehrer, Ogbonna, Dawson, Aguerd
    FB: Cresswell, Coufal, Johnson, Kehrer, Ashby
    CM: Rice, Souček, Lanzini, Downes, Kehrer, Coventry
    AM: Fornals, Lanzini, Benrahma
    WG: Bowen, Benrahma, Cornet, Fornals
    ST: Antonio, Scamacca, Bowen, Cornet

Bold = players who are covering more than one position.
  • A LB, CM and keep Benhrama and I will be very happy with this window
  • If the window closed now I think I'd still be very happy, I just think that anything additional would make it exceptional.
  • I'm a left back away from being happy.

Really pleased with what we've done so far (real shame about Aguerd), but still think we're probably two players short from an excellent window.
  • Danny Rose and Adebayor and I will be delighted!
  • Yeah, we still need a LB upgrade on Cresswell (personally I'm not sure Emerson is the right player but it seems as though Moyes is happy enough with him), a proper DM to rotate with Rice and Soucek (although I wonder if Kehrer will do this once we get some CBs fit again) and ideally someone to provide creativity further forward as an AM or no.10 .

If, as has been suggested, we're going to play with 3 at the back, I'm not sure what we'll do for wing backs though. On the left, Cresswell is usually used as a LCB, and he's not got the legs to get up and back. Emerson has very limited attacking stats, Cornet may be an option although he was supposedly signed to play further forward. On the right, neither Coufal nor Johnson provide enough offensively for them to be well suited to a WB role imo.

So, if we are intending to play 3 at the back on a regular basis, we would need to bring in a WB or two imo.
  • Ravel49 said:

Danny Rose and Adebayor and I will be delighted!

I'd rather Inkoom and Gudjohnsen
  • One of the best window in recent memories

Let go of players who I think who weren't good enough for the Prem and bought in ones that are a good age and you'd argue most are better than what we got

Maybe have increased the pure numbers but the quality of those numbers has massively improve

Still want a LB

Can see a few more moves, maybe a loan or two
  • If, as has been suggested, we're going to play with 3 at the back, I'm not sure what we'll do for wing backs though. On the left, Cresswell is usually used as a LCB, and he's not got the legs to get up and back. Emerson has very limited attacking stats, Cornet may be an option although he was supposedly signed to play further forward. On the right, neither Coufal nor Johnson provide enough offensively for them to be well suited to a WB role imo.

So, if we are intending to play 3 at the back on a regular basis, we would need to bring in a WB or two imo.

For me, I think that line up would look like this:

Fabianski / Areola

Kehrer - Zouma - Aguerd

Coufal - Soucek - Rice - Cornet

Bowen - Fornals

Scamacca / Antonio

I personally think Cornet is built to play left wing back. We saw with Burnley that he's great going forward, but he's also got excellent defensive contribution stats.

And Coufal I think is capable of being that wingback on the right, but his form is just really poor. Even with a poor season last year, he was still in the top quartile for goal creating action in the top 5 leagues.
  • alderz - I like the look of that side but would rather bring in another LWB to allow Cornet to play as the left option behind the striker. Could you imagine an in-form Bowen & Benrahma/Cornet off of Antonio/Scamacca.
  • Maybe a Hudson-Odoi on loan to provide RWB options?
  • Coufal played as a wing back when he first came.
  • Slacker said:

Coufal played as a wing back when he first came.

I actually think that was when Coufal was at his best, too.
  • Unfortunately Coufal's attacking prowess seems to have completely deserted him. I know he carried an injury for a lot of last season, but even after his op he doesn't provide the quality of cross that you'd expect from a WB atm.
  • My worry with Coufal is he has only shown a decline over the last year or so. Moyes has made a couple of hints he’s not happy with him & then last season, after the Brighton loss, he made a comment to say ‘he hopes to be here next season’, implying he may have been given a rocket by the manager. I don’t think Moyes is overly happy with him but has had to play him this season due to Johnson covering CB.
  • edited August 2022
    Ex says Ainsley Maitland-Niles is a loan deal we are exploring. Another versatile player who has never really made the grade, prefers to play as a CM.
  • I thought two signings in a week was a touch ambitious for us.

I actually thought he'd be a good signing. Not sure who these 'other options' are. Luke Thomas? Grimaldo?
  • Emerson (Lake) Palmerieri ;) To be frank, unlike players such as Aguerdou, Carer and Scammer, Emerson raised no interest when we were linked with him. The vibe is that he's ok isn't really enough considering the quality of other signings. He's been one of those players that have sat around out of the first team picture for too long and I have to believe we can do better. As a squad filler even there must be plenty of younger players with far greater potential attacking and defensively. I'm sure Forest will be interested so he'll be alright
  • I hate Prog Rock
  • Think it’s outrageous that Alderz closed the other thread on 99 pages
  • Alex Tudor will know exactly how that thread is feeling.
  • So who are we still looking to sign & how many do we think we will end up with? 🤔
  • Szalai (CB) 13m, Vanaken (AM) 13m, Emerson (LB) 13m, Maitland-Niles (CM) Loan although Emerson seems to have stalled on wages.
  • I hope we don’t sign too many more, personally. I don’t like massive turnover in the squad
  • still dont like the fact we dont have a new left back coming in.
This discussion has been closed.