I won't stand for this - The thread all about standing at the OS.

Comments

• But under PL rules standing has always been banned just because people have stood before it does n't mean they were right at our club or others

If that was the case then why was a blind eye turned to it at pretty much every ground for years?

because in the main, you weren't annoying another fan behind you, therefore there was (rightly or wrongly) no complaint.

We all know what the written PL rules are.
  • What these morons don't seem to realise is that they're preventing the club expanding the capacity to 66,000. This season was meant to be 60,000 but was restricted to 57,000 and if the current situation continues I can see it being reduced further and further.
    We are currently becoming a laughing stock and fans of other clubs ridiculing us about our shiny new stadium that we are making an absolute mess of.
    Do these idiots stand when they're watching football on the tele at home?

If it reduces any further, more than 2,000-3.000 then we really are in a mess, because we need around 54K to satisfy our own ST holders and the PL guidelines on aways.

The people who don't care about standing in front of someone and who are prepared to have a clear confrontation, don't seem like the type who would give a monkeys about 60K or 66K, they'll probably tell you that 9,000 is just for the Dave's to line their pockets.

I have no problem with fans standing at all, just like I believe every person who sits should be able to see the action. As long as they're in the right area's. (and yes before someone comes back with "But it's a all seater......")

Some of these other clubs fans are actually doing it right under our noses as well.
  • Sweepy - spot on!

Sadly, I think that the appeal would fall on deaf (or should that be selfish) ears.

Izzy has hit the nail on the head, imo. (Not often I say that. ;wink )
    The people who don't care about standing in front of someone and who are prepared to have a clear confrontation, don't seem like the type who would give a monkeys about 60K or 66K, they'll probably tell you that 9,000 is just for the Dave's to line their pockets.
  • Thanks Mrs G. Think I should post it somewhere?
  • If you agree Mrs G

Then you know what to do

;wink
  • edited September 2016
    Sadly, I don't agree with all of it.

And I have my principles.

;wink
  • I'll do it.
  • edited September 2016
    Whilst this issue is now being talked about, the club does have to take a big lump of the responsibility for the situation. Safe Standing was something that was talked about at the SAB meetings and during consultation - I know it was because I raised it several times through the SAB and direct with the club, even suggesting the areas it could be allowed - I am sure others did as well.

The feedback was basically they had discussed it with the stadium owners and the Management Company etc. and were told 'not going to happen - it's and an all seat stadium so everyone sits'. For them to then pass that on to the fans and expect them to just go along with it was naïve in the extreme. Now they are making a big fuss of it because of the problems it is causing and trying to get safe/allowed standing - why not take them to task like this before it all kicked off, they must have known what would happen and warned the Owners/Management Company?....... ;hmm Maybe they did and are now saying 'told you so' or kept quite knowing what would happen would put it back on the agenda - would be interesting to see any minutes of those meetings/negotiations.

The other argument on our side is this:

Thinking of all the events that could be held at the stadium - Concerts, how many people sit at concerts, very few I think, every one I go to always ends up with almost everyone standing from as soon as the acts come on stage. Does the same rule apply to them?

Boxing - another good example of the crowd standing, same with some sections at Rugby matches, even Cricket - and if they have any of those American NFL rugby type games, well from what I have seen on the odd occasion I have accidently been subjected to it when channel hopping, very few seem to sit, in fact there seem to be 25% of the crowd wandering around at any given time.

So are we being made an example of or, as it is a stadium rule, will the stewards be ejecting people from all of those other events for standing?

Call me cynical, but I can just see our owners making a big thing about how they have negotiated allowable standing areas for our fans etc. etc..... If it happens, why not before the season started?
  • sweepy23 said:

Thanks Mrs G. Think I should post it somewhere?

I don't know where, though.

• edited September 2016

Thinking of all the events that could be held at the stadium - Concerts, how many people sit at concerts, very few I think, every one I go to always ends up with almost everyone standing from as soon as the acts come on stage. Does the same rule apply to them?

Boxing - another good example of the crowd standing, same with some sections at Rugby matches, even Cricket - and if they have any of those American NFL rugby type games, well from what I have seen on the odd occasion I have accidently been subjected to it when channel hopping, very few seem to sit, in fact there seem to be 25% of the crowd wandering around at any given time.

So are we being made an example of or, as it is a stadium rule, will the stewards be ejecting people from all of those other events for standing?

Nobody is being 'made an example of' unless you say it is football fans as a whole, via PL rules.

All seater stadium rules were brought in to apply specifically to football.

(Yes, I know that the rationale - Hillsborough- has now been discredited, but the rules haven't yet been changed.)

Meaningless to argue that football fans are not treated the same as fans at concerts or boxing matches in this stadium, or other venues such as the Globe theatre where standing tickets are sold.

Of course they aren't, because the rules about standing are not the same for football and for other events.
  • edited September 2016
  • edited September 2016
    Club statement
    http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2016/September/12-September/Club-Statement

(Edited to put the link, rather than the full text copied from club site ;ok]
  • This is the safety certificate, released after someone's FOI request. Though, from a quick glance, it's not very interesting. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/353587/response/863249/attach/3/GSC Issue 06 18.08.16 REDACTED.pdf
  • But under PL rules standing has always been banned just because people have stood before it does n't mean they were right at our club or others

If that was the case then why was a blind eye turned to it at pretty much every ground for years?

because in the main, you weren't annoying another fan behind you, therefore there was (rightly or wrongly) no complaint.

I agree but now people are standing in front of kids and people who want to sit and that is not right no matter what happened at the Boleyn or other grounds and if these people persist I have now problem if the club bans them

• No doubting its a very messy situation and a tough one to describe to other non-WHU people who have asked me about it because it is all counter productive and damaging for everyone involved. The standing on the side stands is pointless because you can see everything, the view is great at all times and the only possible reason for standing is to create an issue against the WHU heirarchy for whatever reasons. Why stand when you can sit and see everything?

I sit in the Upper tier so generally speaking we all sit down because standing up is pointless; although there has been one or two incidents in other upper tier sections. I suppose one of the main issues is the club insisting on a no standing policy and the threat of X,Y,Z but those in the bobby moore and trevor brooking stands, who all stand for 90 minutes, dont get spoken to and from my recollection, no stewards going over to them at all. Instead small groups of individuals have been targeted elsewhere and its generated a toxic attitude, by both those actually causing trouble and those who feel aggrieved by how the OS is run. Just remember that you're representing WHUFC and that above all its just football....there's far more important issues in life than a bad result or not being able to stand like you used to at The Boleyn ground.
  • I'll do it.

I've been watching you mate, I think you've skipped a few

;wink

but thanks anyway
  • MrsGrey said:
    Well someone better tell the joint owner then.....

because when he was asked why we didn't have a family area, he didn't reply "Yes we do, two blocks in the BM", he simply said "the entire upper tier 25,000 is family"

I agree but now people are standing in front of kids and people who want to sit and that is not right no matter what happened at the Boleyn or other grounds and if these people persist I have now problem if the club bans them

mate I don't disagree, but at the Boleyn we didn't have people standing in front of sitters/complaints.......well not to this degree. I've never condoned the idiots who stand in front of others, when asked politely to sit down, no matter where either party originated from at UP, or didn't as the case maybe.

There wasn't an issue with the people standing at UP, everyone knew the score.

So what has changed?

have the standing gone to area's that are known to sit?

have some people who sat, gone to area's known to stand?
  • edited September 2016
    ;hmm It may be (as the article implies) you need something to satisfy the PL - which is what the 2 blocks do... but that you can have additional areas/arrangements.

The article also refers to
    West Ham have 25,000 family ticket holders

It's a bit unclear, I think.

(This comment is responding to the one before the one before... ;biggrin)
  • MrsGrey said:
    It's now come to light they've started to move people, perhaps that is what was meant?
  • edited September 2016
    Mrs G,

DS/DG makes it clear in this article - http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/west-ham-forced-to-limit-london-stadium-capacity-to-57000-for-bournemouth-game-over-standing-fears-a3322336.html that the licensing for the stadium is all seating.

Joint-Chairmen David Sullivan and David Gold added: “We understand the traditions of football and that many supporters like to stand, but the reality is that the license is for all-seating. Therefore, we urge our supporters to watch the game from their seats."

KB from same article: “The LSSAG have identified that standing in an all-seater stadium is dangerous and that we must continue to communicate this to our supporters.”

Now if that is the case why should it not apply to any other event held there, I would suggest that at a concert or other event where the crowd is in some sort of semi darkness or low light, the risk and danger would be greater. If it does only apply to football then it is discrimination - if it was down to the PL rules then I am sure the club would have to provide the stewards etc. to police it.

It's not like you are going to get a crowd surge at a football match any longer with a row of seats in front of you - not like there used to be, although there have been some instances where there has been a sideways movement to get away from trouble etc.
  • This just dropped into my inbox.

Dear Supporter Advisory Board Member,
    As you are aware, we are currently in the process of setting up a new format for our Supporter Advisory board, which you are welcome and encouraged to apply for if you wish to enter the selection process.
    As an active member of the 2015/16 season SAB, that was so instrumental across key aspects of our move to Stratford, we would very much like to hear your views on the matchday experience at London Stadium so far this season.
    We acknowledge that there have been some bedding-in issues occurring in the early stages of this season – and are identifying those issues that we believe can be worked on by Club and fans together in order to help everybody successfully settle into the new ground. We are therefore eager to speak to a sample group of SAB members such as yourself who can offer us a cross-sectional insight into the stadium experience, so we can continue improving matchdays for all our fans.
    If you would like, and are able to attend a meeting at London Stadium, on Tuesday 20th September at 6.30pm to discuss your views on the matchday experience at London Stadium so far this season, please notify us of your interest as soon as possible.
    Please include details of what matches you have attended at London Stadium this season - and whether you have used your regular Season Ticket seat or sat in other parts of the ground. If you have attended matches in other parts of the ground, please provide details as to where, including stand, tier and block.
    We will then select a representative sample of SAB members from across all areas of the stadium. Should you be selected as part of the sample group, we will be sure to contact you.
    Your insight will, as ever, be invaluable in helping us to continue to improving our stadium experience and the Club as a whole.
    Best wishes,
  • edited September 2016
    A positive move hopefully tell them how it is Suz ;thumbsup
  • If any one who has been to a game has something they think the club should know - please let me know and I will pass it on.
  • I saw a tweet, that the user was furious that the club sold popcorn and left at half time.

Hope this helps

;biggrin
  • Who knew popcorn could get people so worked up. I can take it or leave it, myself.
  • I think this geezer was miffed as they only did salted.
  • If they were so indignant why did they wait until half time? ;hmm
  • Maybe they thought there might be some trailors on the big screen
  • So helpful... ;doh

;biggrin