The UK is Out - New PM - and whither now for Article 50

Comments

• No he didn't Suzanne

He made it perfectly clear his job was nearly done, and I think he done a terrific job whilst there.

NE
    Yes I have thought about, have you thought about the possibility of how good it could be for us to be out of the eu??
  • Pards, before the referendum I read comments, opinions, analyses, projections etc from a variety of sources of different political colour. I came to the conclusion that to leave the EU would be disastrous for the UK in both the short-term and long-term future.
    I also thought it was extremely reckless to entrust the future of the UK directly in the hands of voters, although I still don't understand how Parliament has been by-passed.
    I still believe that it should be Parliament that decides in light of the present state of the economy and the probability that Brexit will leave the UK permanently diminished, that the referendum result is viewed for what it actually is - i.e. non-legally binding.
    Parliament should then reject Brexit as not being in the national interest.
  • Claretandbluesky, well said ;ok
  • Ne

The problem for you now is a lot of people in the new cabinet believe in brexit so if that's the case and they believe it's in the best interest of the country you are now happy to leave!!
  • simonc said:

Yes and Why? Canada has prospered as an independent nation bordering on the largest trading block in the world while maintaining its identity and social structure. I am confident the UK can prosper in its own right without being required to accept European burocracy

Canada is massively dependent on the US for both imports and exports.

They have a population half of the UK and vastly more natural resources.

The situations seem quite different.
  • pardew. I think May has been very shrewd putting pro leave in charge of sorting out how leaving may work, when they find out how difficult it would be and start to backtrack Mrs May can say, it's the pro leave that are now saying this is not a good idea, not me.
  • I am not sure how optimistic about the outcome I am Whitehorse but this is my hope, that Boris and co are forced to engage properly with their EU counterparts, begin to build relationship which prevents them simply throwing stones at them, work out that perhaps it wasn't the best idea after all, add in to that some assistance from the EU in reforming themselves in this time and we may have something resembling the best for all parties with regard the EU national interest and the EU's interest. As in my opinion it's hard to see how this current trajectory is going to help either party, and paths that do this are not usually followed. Often you get a deal in which only one part benefits, often both but very few deals where no one benefits.
  • UK will not be like Canada because I don't think the UK will exist soon. England will become a tinpot nation with not much to offer.
  • The U.K. Won't exist!!!
    How's that are Scotland leaving NO
    They have right to another vote they voted in when try knew we had a referendum and may well leave...

Tip top nation what 5 th biggest economy in the plant and London the financial epicentre...

Come on
  • Pards, no idea what you're talking about. ;hmm
  • edited July 2016
    I think you need to put a 'no' after 'they have' in the third line. Other than that it makes sense to me.

To be honest I actually think that the original comment by Yeold is in need of more explanation than Pards response.

If we keep talking to country and economy down then it is more likely to drop. I have a colleague who is so down about it and is talking that way to her clients that she is now losing business. Then on the other hand there are those of us that are getting on with things and it has been business as normal for now (as much as can be with all that has happened).
  • Scotland will go. If this happens. The UK idea will go with it.

Our financial services will be dismantled very quickly when EU nations decide to not use the UK financial hub, along with the new Banking investment systems being created in China and so on. There is a reason why people say you should start learning Mandarin for the future because that's where the business world is going.
  • How will Scotland go they can't have a vote
  • I don't share your pessimistic views yeold
  • edited July 2016
    lol, they will get another vote, as soon as the Scottish public vote in another round of SNP members. It will give them a mandate to call for another referendum because Scotland as a country voted to Remain ahead of Leave (in the EU referendum). I don't share your view that you think you will be able to tell Scotland to put up and shut up. It will not happen.
  • I wished they had voted out last year that would amuse me to watch Scotland go bankrupt
    Especially with that horrible women at the helm
  • Yeold
    And Teresa may has no powers of blocking it??
  • Suze & Pards - before the 2015 election Cameron said if he won he wouldn't stand for a third term as Prime Minister but he would serve the full five years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32022484

Canada signed a free trade agreement with USA and Mexico in 1994, the North American Free Trade Agreement or NAFTA. It doesn't allow free movement of labour but it abolished tariffs on goods and services.
  • Scotland voted in it's independance referendum to remain part of the UK as it was part of the EU, if they had known they would be taken out of the EU I think the outcome would have been the other way.
  • edited July 2016
    Of course she can block it, like she has the power to Block the Brexit referendum result with the rest of parliament. But they can't side line the democractic wishes of the public because they would simply lose face and take one hell of a beating in the next election Lib Dem style.
  • They can if there Scottish lol
  • Then good luck containing a Riot.
  • I am still not so sure that it would be a guarantee that Scotland would vote to leave the UK. I have family up there and at lot of people are not keen on that idea at all.
  • Tomw85 said:

I think you need to put a 'no' after 'they have' in the third line. Other than that it makes sense to me.

To be honest I actually think that the original comment by Yeold is in need of more explanation than Pards response.

If we keep talking to country and economy down then it is more likely to drop. I have a colleague who is so down about it and is talking that way to her clients that she is now losing business. Then on the other hand there are those of us that are getting on with things and it has been business as normal for now (as much as can be with all that has happened).

;clap

And cheer up chaps, it`s not all doom and gloom:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/690191/Britain-ten-Brexit-trade-deals-lined-up-economic-powerhouses

A little bit of positivity is what`s required. Come on, where`s the famous British stiff upper lip. I didn`t get where I am today...........................
  • Tomw85 I also have realtives up there and they are staunghly pro remaining as EU citizens with all of the benefits that brings (as do I). I think that with the fear of being taken out of the EU against the wishes of the majority they will vote to leave the UK.
  • Ye Old - the Scottish parliament elections were in May, SNP won 63, down 6 on 2011, two short of an overall majority. The next election won't be until 2021.

If Scotland decides to hold another referendum on independence I don't believe there's anything the UK government can do to stop it.

Tomw85 - a lot of people up there weren't keen on leaving the EU
  • Suze & Pards - before the 2015 election Cameron said if he won he wouldn't stand for a third term as Prime Minister but he would serve the full five years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32022484

Canada signed a free trade agreement with USA and Mexico in 1994, the North American Free Trade Agreement or NAFTA. It doesn't allow free movement of labour but it abolished tariffs on goods and services.

Thank you.
  • Tomw85 I also have realtives up there and they are staunghly pro remaining as EU citizens with all of the benefits that brings (as do I). I think that with the fear of being taken out of the EU against the wishes of the majority they will vote to leave the UK.

Whitehorse, I am sure that there are. I was trying to say that in my opinion it will not be a land slide to leave as some people are predicting. A lot of the enthusiasm to leave disappeared after the first referendum and although if there is a second vote you may get pro EU remainers voting to leave the UK it is by no means guaranteed.

This discussion has been closed.