The UK is Out - New PM - and whither now for Article 50

Comments

• She's decimated the police force and completely moosed up border control.

I'm so looking forward to seeing what she can do now she is in charge of everything.
  • edited July 2016

We have the right person in place as the new PM
    And she will not be bullied at the negotiating table and rightly so

Correction - you have the only person left standing as the PM. She is a punt by the Tories, nothing more . She has no mandate and should call an election.
    ;doh
  • edited July 2016

We have the right person in place as the new PM
    And she will not be bullied at the negotiating table and rightly so

Correction - you have the only person left standing as the PM. She is a punt by the Tories, nothing more . She has no mandate and should call an election.
    ;doh
    She can't just call an election, thanks to the Fixed Term Parliament Act 2011 you either need two votes of no confidence in the space of 14 days or two thirds of the House voting for an early election.

Seeing as the Tories have a small majority with four years left in government if she did manage to get enough votes for an early general election and then lost she'd probably be the shortest serving PM since George Canning, Tory, 1827, 119 days, died after catching the flu attending the funeral of Frederick, Duke of York (yes, the Grand Old one with 10000 men and all the marching).

Since 1945 we've had 14 Prime Ministers including Ms May, half of them got the job because the previous PM quit, indeed four of the last eight have done so. Only once did the new PM call a general election immediately afterwards, that was Antony Eden who only had a year left after Churchill retired, the economy was booming after austerity and Labour was suffering the same left-right split it is now.
  • Its like putting the Sith in charge..
  • MrsGrey said:

Not really.

In 1992, the UK and EU signed a treaty under which we can opt out for as long as we want to.

#factattack

NEoldiron said:

MrsGrey, I don't think it's worth bothering, to paraphrase the Verve " The Facts Don't Work"

Perhaps "Image" wasn`t so far wide of the mark. We may have been forced in to joining the Euro by economic circumstance and necessity, not by choice:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/uk-will-be-forced-join-euro-leave-eu-if-brussels-power-not-reformed-says-report-1453735

• i disagree grey

This country along with the Eu have a lot in offer do we need a stern negotiations to take place and I have confidence in her.

As for a snap election why!!

Labour or lib dems as our alternatives
    Lololololololololol
  • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10935617/After-2020-all-EU-members-will-have-to-adopt-the-euro.html

We may have signed a document to opt out as long as we want, but remaining in The EU may have meant joining the Euro was inevitable. A single currency in principle seems to make sense, but when you look deeper the economic and political consequences are unavoidable. More control from Brussels, simple as. I think The Euro would have been forced on us by default.

• Why snap elections?

Oh, I don't know, what about giving the people the right to choose, which seemed to matter immensely not so long ago?

• You would have thought that having two women competing for the job would have gone down well with the Tory cabinet, rekindling fond childhood memories of the trial-by-combat phase of their nanny selections, but May was seen as the safer pair of hooves. She immediately vowed to unite Britain – my guess is against the poor. She will no doubt introduce a cap for migrants. Probably an orange cone with an “M” on the front that gives out an electric shock if they stray too close to a golf course.

Credit; Frankie Boyle
  • pardew

What's 'bullying' or 'tough' got to do with anything?

Negotiations hinge on what either party cannot afford not to have.

You can come over as hardline as you like, but if you really need something, eventually you have to give up what it takes to get it.

Maybe pards was thinking if the negotiations got a bit physical?

Lol
  • Why snap elections?

Oh, I don't know, what about giving the people the right to choose, which seemed to matter immensely not so long ago?

Do you see the Tories holding two votes of no confidence in themselves? Or all the other parties ganging up together with at least 12 Tory rebels to vote down the government? Even if Theresa May wanted a General Election I'm not sure the rest of the Tory party would back her because some of them might lose their seats.
  • ASLEF

Just saying what I think should happen, not that I expect it to.
  • I think that the people calling for a snap election in the hopes that it might allow a party in who will not go ahead with Brexit would be in for quite a shock and that it would further add supporters to UKIP.

I voted to leave but the last thing that I would want to see is UKIP come to power. Even though I have not been a massive fan of May I actually think that she will have more of a chance of uniting the government than Leadsom would have and that is better for stability for the economy. We have already seen the £ start to recover since the announcement that May will get in.

I do hope that May sticks to her pledge that Brexit means Brexit and that we can get on with forging new trade agreements and negotiating our exit from the EU.
  • Like the Sith united against the Jedi's.
  • On the snap election, why? I understand people saying that May was not voted for, but in the UK we don't vote for the PM, we vote for our local representative ... From that angle nothing (well very little) has actually changed.
  • Sadly the 2011 Fixed-term Parliaments Acts makes it almost impossible, we can thank Cleggers for that as he sponsored the bill which makes his call for an early election rather odd.
  • Dodger

It depends whether or not May intends to bring in her own policies.

If she only acts on previously stated Conservative electoral policies, it won't make any great difference, but if she introduces new policies, then that would, for me, make a difference, since no one actually voted for those policies to be enacted.

Whilst we may not actually vote who is to be PM in an election, I think it would be naive to imagine that who the leader of the party was (and therefore PM in potentia) had no effect on how people vote.

Elections, at least in terms of media coverage, have become steadily more 'presidential' over the years, imo.
  • Grey, I do agree with you on several levels, but if they did call an election the likely main alternative has even less idea what policies they would be presenting. Unfortunately I don't think the policies make much difference to many voters who tend to vote on party lines, with the odd 'protest vote'.

One of the things that always annoys me is when ministers claim they have a 'mandate from the people' to implement one policy or another - this is clearly wrong as those who do vote based on policies base their choice on the range of policies not each individual one.
  • Just a quick question, why does Cameron have to go to the queen in person to resign as PM.

Can't he just write a quite note and email it across as a PDF?
  • or send a text ;ok
  • I wonder if she follows him on twitter ;hmm
  • You would have thought that having two women competing for the job would have gone down well with the Tory cabinet, rekindling fond childhood memories of the trial-by-combat phase of their nanny selections, but May was seen as the safer pair of hooves. She immediately vowed to unite Britain – my guess is against the poor. She will no doubt introduce a cap for migrants. Probably an orange cone with an “M” on the front that gives out an electric shock if they stray too close to a golf course.

Credit; Frankie Boyle

Can we put a little cap or collar on Frankie Boyle that gives a teensy weensy electric shock if he comes too close to Hadrians Wall.....................This needn`t be orange but tartan if it helps him feel at home........................
  • As MrsGrey has said, there is a huge difference in classifications for class of fruit and veg compared to "shape" of it.

The true fact is that it is the supermarkets themselves which impose the stupid views and ideas on what fruit and veg is acceptable.

Have a read up on

Just a quick question, why does Cameron have to go to the queen in person to resign as PM.

Can't he just write a quite note and email it across as a PDF?

Because last time she replied all and there was a few issues from that. So now she only does Apple Face time or actually in person.
  • The Queen is Head of State. The PM serves the Queen, and its etiquette.
  • edited July 2016
    As a further note, why does Teresa May need to go in person to be appointed?

The queen can email across the offer letter, together with the job spec, staff handbook, grievance policy, plus the page to waive the EU working time directive

It would save the cost of having a helicopter hover above the palace..
  • It will be safer for the Queen too if she doesn't have to see the Sith Lord in person.
  • barracks, I think that Chaz needs to be in on the interview as the next incumbent of Buck House, just in case.
  • IronHerb said:

The Queen is Head of State. The PM serves the Queen, and its etiquette.

I thought it was still Angela Merkel until we get through Article 50?
  • Outcast ;lol
This discussion has been closed.