The UK is Out - New PM - and whither now for Article 50

Comments

• edited June 2016

And on the flip side the EU will have no say in the controls/laws on how EU countries trade with the U.K. for the many EU companies who will still happy want to do so

baracks

That is not what Boris is saying.

He stresses the UK will remain part of the single market, in which case the UK will continue to be bound by the relevant EU rules and legislation.

No one that I have seen is suggesting the UK would have individual arrangements with EU countries.
  • Moojor said:

Moojor said:

The UK will take back control, except where it refers to the Single Market, where it will concede control to the EU.

Should also be noted, that we will of course no longer have any say in those controls/laws etc which are being created by the EU in regards to how it operates and trades with countries outside the EU.
    And on the flip side the EU will have no say in the controls/laws on how EU countries trade with the U.K. for the many EU companies who will still happy want to do so
    So why couldn't we just negoiate indenpendant deals with those countries from within the EU?
    I don't think so moojor. It appears (but I'm not an expert) that the EU as a whole negotiates EU-non EU trade agreements on behalf of its members.

;hmm
  • edited June 2016
  • MrsGrey said:

Moojor said:

Moojor said:

The UK will take back control, except where it refers to the Single Market, where it will concede control to the EU.

Should also be noted, that we will of course no longer have any say in those controls/laws etc which are being created by the EU in regards to how it operates and trades with countries outside the EU.
    So why couldn't we just negoiate indenpendant deals with those countries from within the EU?
    I don't think so moojor. It appears (but I'm not an expert) that the EU as a whole negotiates EU-non EU trade agreements on behalf of its members.

;hmm
    That's what I thought, though happy to be corrected. One of the reasons we should leave the EU is because as part of it you DON'T negotiate your own trade deals and have to accept what the EU as a whole has negotiated.
  • edited June 2016
    ;hmm

I suppose so - but I'd have though that as an entity with a much bigger market than the UK, the EU would have more negotiating power with another country than the UK might have and would be able to drive a harder bargain. I don't really know too much about this, though, so am happy to be given more info by any experts. ;wink

• ;hmm

Yeah, has to be something we are missing here. Some part which explains why 1 country has better bargaining power than a collective of 28 countries.
  • edited June 2016

No that's not the point - I believe they will be more keen to give airtime to people like Fuchs who has the views he does - so the opposing views might not readily be shared at all

Well, in that report, Fuchs got those 3 sentences which were a direct counter view to what Boris said. Boris got about the same amount directly quoted, but also a link to a full (longer) piece he wrote in another newspaper.

Both of which are footnotes to the actual purpose of the article which is reporting Merkel's response to the referendum outcome.
  • edited June 2016
    MrsGrey said:

;hmm

I suppose so - but I'd have though that as an entity with a much bigger market than the UK, the EU would have more negotiating power with another country than the UK might have and would be able to drive a harder bargain. I don't really know too much about this, though, so am happy to be given more info by any experts. ;wink

Not an expert but..

My (relatively small) understanding is that the EU does drive a hard bargain and is viewed as being relatively protectionist (hence 9(?) years to thrash out a trade deal with Canada).

Trade deals with the rest of the world would now be in our hands not the EU's. I did read somewhere that more than 50% of Canada's exports to the EU are destined for Britain.

In theory, we COULD be better off in our dealings with the rest of the world.

The stumbling block is our trading with the EU (currently free trading). The end game depends on the strength of position that you believe the UK holds in negotiations. We have a huge trade deficit with the EU so, in theory, the EU has more to lose (in pound note terms) than the UK through refusing to trade/imposing barriers to trade.

Again (sorry ;doh ) I read somewhere that 47% of the UK's exports are destined for the EU.

• And on the flip side the EU will have no say in the controls/laws on how EU countries trade with the U.K. for the many EU companies who will still happy want to do so

baracks

That is not what Boris is saying.

He stresses the UK will remain part of the single market, in which case the UK will continue to be bound by the relevant EU rules and legislation.

No one that I have seen is suggesting the UK would have individual arrangements with EU countries.
    And that's not what I've said either - if the eu block of countries wants to trade with the U.K. It will have no say on the controls which the uk will want on its side

• One thing we seem to have plenty of is unemployed Shadow cabinet Ministers and PPSs.

Perhaps we could do a Buy-One-Get-One-Free deal.

#sweeteners

• And that's not what I've said either - if the eu block of countries wants to trade with the U.K. It will have no say on the controls which the uk will want on its side

But surely it will within the negotiations. ;hmm
  • And a negotiation is two way - if the eu makes it punitive to brtisith companies to export to it, then the uk can easily do likewise to European companies wanting to import to the uk - and I'm sure that'll go down well with the German car manufacturers for example
  • Latest available data here;

https://www.uktradeinfo.com/Statistics/OverseasTradeStatistics/Pages/OTS.aspx

shows imports from Germany are 100% greater (in £s) than exports to Germany (April 2016).
  • So it's 'no change' on trade then? Why did we bother to leave? Oh yeah, control.
  • Luckily, as it's 'no change', we haven't lost anything. ;biggrin
  • And a negotiation is two way - if the eu makes it punitive to brtisith companies to export to it, then the uk can easily do likewise to European companies wanting to import to the uk - and I'm sure that'll go down well with the German car manufacturers for example

You don't think that any extra import costs etc, will just be reflected in a higher purchasing cost. Meaning that it's the end user who will have to foot the bill?
  • edited June 2016
    Moojor

That has always been the point of international trade barriers. Theoretically to protect businesses producing goods in the 'home' country by making imported goods more expensive.
  • Have you worked in any import business Mooj?

Just asking, as we've had this debate pre the vote I think

There are products which attract high duties and anti-dumping levies into the uk to protect non uk businesses witihn the eu - so we are already paying higher prices than we (the uk) should do on certain products
  • baracks

I think you are missing the point.

If the UK wants to be part of the single market (which Boris has assured us it ill be), it has to abide by EU rules.

Mr Fuchs again:

"If you are in a club you have to follow the rules. If you are out of the club, there will be different rules."

The UK can of course choose not to be part of the single market, and try to negotiate a different agreement with the EU.

My point is that Boris is the one saying the UK will be part of the single market, so perhaps you should take it up with him?
  • "Throughout the referendum campaign, Leave campaigners argued that the UK would be able to get a better deal than any currently in existence because it is such a big customer of European products."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36641383

• This is the end of the EU as we know it imo , more will follow out of the agreement it could be the end of the Euro .
  • I think the remainers should be venting their anger there not a leavers IMHO ;ok

I've got enough for both, and a lot left over for Cameron too ;ok
  • The sooner the EU breaks up the better and everyone csn Ho back to there own currency
  • And I can buy meals in Corfu that cost 10,000 Drachma again.

;wahoo
  • Grey from reading Boris's article in the telegraph he says that we will have access to the single market, not be in it. Other countries outside of the EU have access to the single market, but as you say with different rates as a consequence of not being in the EU.

We will still be able to trade with the EU, it is the terms of trade that need to be agreed.

As Barracks says, the EU might try to impose tough terms on us to make an example of us, but like wise we can also make it tough for the EU companies/countries that currently benefit massively from exporting to the UK.
  • pardew, what's it got to do with you what currencies other countries want to use?
  • He's ITK Mrs G.
  • Well
    I have a lot of colleagues living in Italy, Spain,France
    None of them I speak to want to be part of this thing and all want the days of there own currency back
  • http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36641383

Looks at possibility of free trade without freedom of movement.
  • Freedom of movement has an awful lot to do with the out vote!!
    There's no point in allowing unskilled migrants in the UK
    If your skilled and meet our nominated criteria great if not no thanks
This discussion has been closed.