The UK is Out - New PM - and whither now for Article 50

Comments

• Just to be clear, I have purchased my 12 month visa, arranged for Flossie's passport, and on Friday, I completed on the purchase of our new apartment in Adelaide..........I'm off at Christmas. ;ok
  • Madcap

It was one of the things those 'so-called experts' predicted would happen.

It is happening.

People don't have to care about it if it doesn't bother them, but it was an inevitable outcome of a Leave vote.
  • Grey, it also happens before and after ALL general elections, including the Scottish Independence vote. Even the experts are able to predict that.
  • Grey.

You don`t need to be much of an expert to predict that the vultures would pounce. It was inevitable, on that we can agree. I saw an investment manager from a German Bank called Berenbergs (?) (based in the UK) on the breakfast news this morning and he said that the UK had been surprisingly robust and it seemed to be the other European markets that had so far bore the brunt.

It was also inevitable that the experts would predict that in the short term most economic indicators would be negative as far as the UK was concerned. Again, you don`t need to be much of an expert to appreciate this.

I voted out for the long term good of the country. You can hardly hold Europe up as a shining beacon of economic prosperity, by most measures, it is failing. Europes leaders (sorry, France and Germany) want to take Europe further and deeper along a path that to me looks like it ends in a sheer drop. I know this may be an ill timed idiom, but for me: Stop the ride I want to get off.

• On question time tonight, one person stated that in his view that the EU freedom of movement rule were actually racist as they discriminated against non-EU migrants.
    Out of interest if a White Brit made the same statement, would you regard them as a racist?

Well, his view is wrong.

For the system to be racist, it would actually have to discriminate between people on the grounds of race. Which it doesn't. It distinguishes on the grounds of nationality.

He/she might argue it is unfair. But it isn't racist.

And the race of the person expressing the view is utterly irrelevant. I don't really understand why you asked that ...

• edited June 2016
    I'm not, given their history, sure I would trust bankers. After all you can probably trace this current mess back to them.

Dodgy mortgage anyone?
  • Madcap

But we aren't going to be economically independent of the EU, any more than we currently are.

Boris:

"I cannot stress too much that Britain is part of Europe, and always will be.

"There will still be intense and intensifying European co-operation and partnership in a huge number of fields: the arts, the sciences, the universities, and on improving the environment.

"EU citizens living in this country will have their rights fully protected, and the same goes for British citizens living in the EU.

"British people will still be able to go and work in the EU; to live; to travel; to study; to buy homes and to settle down. As the German equivalent of the CBI - the BDI - has very sensibly reminded us, there will continue to be free trade, and access to the single market.

"The only change - and it will not come in any great rush - is that the UK will extricate itself from the EU's extraordinary and opaque system of legislation: the vast and growing corpus of law enacted by a European Court of Justice from which there can be no appeal."
    Is that only change really what people voted Leave for?

Is it really worth all the billions it will cost?
  • Of course we will still want to trade with Europe, and I`d expect Europe to want to trade with us. And yes, I voted out because I fundamentally believe in self determination, I believe that there should be less and less layers of government, not more, which seems to be the current theme. The EU is nothing like the original Common Market, as I`ve always said, a good idea. And why are you assuming it will cost us billions. It may save us billions, it may make us billions. As Pards said above, nothing but assumptions and conjecture from both sides. No one really knows. What I DO KNOW FOR CERTAIN is that I don`t like how the EU operates now, and I don`t like it`s future plans. What will become of the UK in 2, 5, 10 years time no one, not even the much lauded experts know. As I said earlier, if the experts were always right, why do things go wrong.
  • Bojo is a born liar: he has lied to practically everyone, his party leader, his employer (The Torygraph), his constituents, his wives, his girlfriends, and most others he has met. He met with his "team" at his country house over the weekend to plot his leadership and he will, I am sure, come up with some trick that will fool his supporters, his Party (remember he only has to convince 100,000 Tory Party member, most of the extreme variety, to become PM - ironically unelected in Farage's own terms) and perhaps others with some scheme or other from the pages of the Hotspur or the Beano. The plan could fool his Party enough for him to be PM but the plan won't last ten seconds in Brussels. Doesn't matter, we are out of the EU and Boris will be PM on the basis of a completely new string of lies as promises. He will start as the most unpopular PM ever, literally
  • Madcap

I assume it will cost billions as it is already having a negative impact on the UK economy, and that forecast is set to continue.

In order to be part of the single market, the UK will still have to accept current EU rules and laws.

How is that self-determination?

And if it ends up costing the UK economy billions, and it turns out the experts were right, that's OK with you, fair enough.

Seems like a high price to pay for what, in the end, will be very little difference.
  • I don`t think we will ever agree, and that`s fine. And I do accept that it may all go horribly wrong, it may have all gone horribly wrong with an in vote. I tend to think it was/is more likely to go horribly wrong staying in Europe as I have the past and present as evidence, to my non expert eyes it is failing, and my instinct tells me it will get worse.
  • Madcap

Given you were Leave and I was Remain, I'd imagine agreement would be unlikely. ;wink
  • It only costs billions or whatever due to banks and hedge funds gambling with other people's money. If being in the EU is do good why is Greece bankrupt and Spain and Italy going that way.
    Immigration was not the main or only thing that made people vote out. If you're happy living in Greece as a minor state of a federal German republic which it is heading for, then so be it.
    My cousin's sister in law's niece (no idea if that makes her a relative) works in the EU in Brussels as a secretary/interpreter and her comments to her family were "vote remain if you want me to keep my job but leave if you don't want the UK to be part of "Germany" which is the long term goal".
    May not come to pass in my lifetime but ever closer political and military union is the aim.
  • edited June 2016
    thorn

It isn't simply 'gambling' - it is a sign of a lack of confidence in the UK economy going forwards, and was an entirely predictable outcome.

The no-worriers will assure us it is a blip.

Others are concerned it may well be a long-term impact.
    If you're happy living in Greece as a minor state of a federal German republic which it is heading for, then so be it.
    I honestly don't know what that means, apart from it being anti-German hysteria.

Greece is a part of the European union, and I'm happy living in a country that is part of that.

As part of the EU, the UK trades with the EU.

After Brexit, the UK will trade with the EU.

Economically, what has changed?
  • We don't NEED to be part of the single market to trade with the EU.

(I am not saying that we will not be part of the single market and, for what it's worth, if that means we have to accept a huge raft of EU rules then it may not have been worth leaving).
  • Col

No, we don't (although then trade terms might well be less favourable), but Boris seems convinced we will be.

And if the UK is part of the single market it will have to abide by EU rules regarding:
    the free movement from one EU member country to another of goods, people, services and capital
    https://fullfact.org/europe/what-single-market/
  • edited June 2016
    And replying to Boris' assurances, Michael Fuchs (no jokes, thank you...)
    He (Boris) also suggested the UK would still have access to the EU's single market, a remark quickly challenged by the German Business Institute and Merkel ally Michael Fuchs, MP.

Mr Fuchs said: "It will be possible, of course, but not for free - you have to see with Norway, with Switzerland, you have to pay a certain fee. And the per capita fee of Norway is exactly the same as what Britain is now paying into the EU. So there won't be any savings."
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36637232

So let me get this right:

The UK will leave the EU, and save all that money, only it will spend it again as a charge for being in the single market.

The UK will take back control, except where it refers to the Single Market, where it will concede control to the EU.

As a win bonus, the pound and the UK economy will be flushed down the toilet for the foreseeable... ( http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36636853 )

Oh, and racists imagine they have been given a mandate to publicly flaunt their vile creeds. ( http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36634786 )
  • To vary a well known American phrase "Its immigration stupid"
  • Herb

;nonono

I'm assured it isn't...
  • I think you'll find it is ;wink
  • If I wanted to get some objectivity on a lot of the issues in play, I certainly wouldn't be relying on the BBC - it is more left wing than Ryan Giggs
  • baracks

That's an opinion (not one I share.)

Do you have news stories from other sources to show that the BBC have mis-reported these issues?

• The UK will take back control, except where it refers to the Single Market, where it will concede control to the EU.

Should also be noted, that we will of course no longer have any say in those controls/laws etc which are being created by the EU in regards to how it operates and trades with countries outside the EU.
  • baracks

That's an opinion (not one I share.)

Do you have news stories from other sources to show that the BBC have mis-reported these issues?

No that's not the point - I believe they will be more keen to give airtime to people like Fuchs who has the views he does - so the opposing views might not readily be shared at all
  • Moojor said:

The UK will take back control, except where it refers to the Single Market, where it will concede control to the EU.

Should also be noted, that we will of course no longer have any say in those controls/laws etc which are being created by the EU in regards to how it operates and trades with countries outside the EU.
    And on the flip side the EU will have no say in the controls/laws on how EU countries trade with the U.K. for the many EU companies who will still happy want to do so
  • I voted remain and hope we get the chance to vote again as many who voted out
    who I know now wish they had voted remain sad that so many got it wrong because it was all about immigration and they didn't look at the bigger picture .

right or wrong only time will tell .
  • edited June 2016
    There was no mention that all £350 million would go to the NHS so where that came from I don't know. I do think I did see a quote where it was mentioned that "the £350 million saved could help fund the NHS" and something about how many hospitals or medical staff it could pay for, so maybe it was taken from that and then took on a life of its own as a promise, I would imagine as there has been articles about this with apologies from the leave camp, it must have been repeated as such.
    If the Leave camp claim it was never said like that, but somebody got hold of the wrong end of the stick and it then took on a life of its own, they are lying.

If you look on the official Leave Campaign site, they have a page for downloading and printing their campaign posters and slogans etc. for individuals to use.

One such official poster says:
    Lets give our NHS the £350m the EU takes every week, Vote Leave. Take Control.

There an implicit - perhaps even an explicit - promise that he NHS will be given £350m a week if we 'Leave'.

There are also headline slogans like this one 'Vote Leave to invest an extra £100m into the NHS every week' which is used on the official campaign website.

So this isn't just Farage going off-piste, or the press misquoting.

Yes, the small print rows back on this, saying things like 'it could enable the NHS to have billions more' and 'it could be used to abolish VAT on energy bills' but I maintain that these slogans with their implicit promises were deliberately misleading.

Vague rhetoric like 'Vote Leave. take back control' is one thing, but there were slogans and soundbytes (and things painted on the side of official campaign buses driving Gove and Johnson and other Leavers' around to rallies) which are very specific and imply promises, not possibilities and perhapses.

People like IDS who went along with it at the time and now after the event are trying to say it was all a misunderstanding are despicable, imo.

Anyone who want to can of course take the view that it was all a bit of misquoting that got out of hand (although why no Leavers like IDS spoke up at the time to put the record straight, I don't know). However, I think it was a deliberate strategy.

I just think its a shame people fell for it: it was always an empty promise, and undeliverable by the people who made it (even assuming, which I don't) that they made it in good faith.

http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/campaign_resources
    http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/briefing_health

• Moojor said:

And on the flip side the EU will have no say in the controls/laws on how EU countries trade with the U.K. for the many EU companies who will still happy want to do so
    So why couldn't we just negoiate indenpendant deals with those countries from within the EU?
  • edited June 2016

Moojor said:

No, that would be the World Trade Organisation ;ok

The UK and EU countries individually are members of the WTO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Organization
This discussion has been closed.