The UK is Out - New PM - and whither now for Article 50

Comments

• Ian Abrahams (Moose) ‏@BroadcastMoose 17m17 minutes ago

Enjoyed my cup of tea overlooking the Eiffel Tower only cost 3 Euros or at current rates a council house in Barrow ;lol
  • Madrid why have the over 65s ruined the prospects of our youth. The way the EU is going it wouldn't have benefited anyone. The majority of the EU are now eurosceptic and referenda elsewhere could also lead to a leave vote.
    What you forget or never knew was that the over 65s knew it before we joined and at the time it was purely a trade arrangement. However at that time Germany and France were already planning a political union.
  • The drop in currency values they keep on about is from the figures at 10pm after the big banks had expected an in vote and we're starting on their "let's make billions out of this" philosophy.
    The £$ rate is not much different to the rate I got when I went to Florida earlier this year.
  • McHammer said:

62% of voters in Scotland wanted to stay (74% in my city of Edinburgh). The mood here is not a happy one.

McHammer-I'm genuinely on your side over this one & I hope Scotland gets its independence a.s.a.p.
    cheers. for ref i voted against independance and to remain in the E.U.
  • Madrid - as somebody who lives in Spain, are you equally furious at the EU's inability to tackle the very high level of youth unemployment in that country? Many of them with degrees can't even get a job serving coffee in Starbucks - unlike our own graduates, many of whom have been able able to secure such exulted positions as a result of the benign intervention of the EU.
    They will of course, all shortly lose their livelihoods and futures, as a result of us oldies have have the temerity to express our view, having experienced the full 40 years of EU mismanagement, in a referendum. Shame on us, we really ought to shuffle off to our rooms in the care home, and stay out of important issues which, unless we have a degree, we clearly are not qualified or entitled to meddle in.
  • Can people please think about the tone of their posts?

Let's not start making this personal.
  • I love this statement - "Many of them with degrees can't even get a job serving coffee in Starbucks".

Why should having a degree make anyone automatically suitable to work in a coffee shop? ;hmm
  • Sadly, what's done is done.

I truely hope that the leave campaigns promises about things being all great come to pass.

I hope that in 20 years my daughter can tell me that I was wrong and things turned out well.

I hope that I can look at my daughter in 20 years and at her friends and say, we didn't totally mess thing up for your generation.

Right now, I just don't believe that any of the above is going to come to pass.

;poppy
  • Herb - think you missed my, clumsily put, point. I was trying to point out that in Spain, where Madridhammer resides, youth unemployment is so high that even jobs serving coffee are almost impossible to get. Regardless of the individuals education, Spain's continued membership of the EU seems unlikely to change this situation.
  • Moojor, amen to that.
  • I guess now is the most important time in politics of my lifetime. There's no point telling people they voted the wrong way and even someone in mid-20s strongly against a major aspect of the out campaign, I don't like this "old people ruined it" thing. Older people might not live through much of the changes but I'm sure they thought it would be good for their children.

I think the most important thing is that everyone stays switched on about all these claims about how they would improve the country after a Brexit. If it wasn't all about immigration, then we have to make sure they do actually make policies that go beyond that. I think that's everyone's responsibility. Otherwise the country has effectively just had a vote on hating other people.
  • Consider this, Mark Carney, a Canadian head of our bank of England has recently divulged publicly the fiscal measures to stablise the economy in the advent of a leave victory. The measures have been raified by the IMf and European Central Bank, and given their support!

;hmm why did`nt he reassure voters of his plans intead of painting a doom version
  • Because no one told the truth.
  • A point of interest: by the time the UK is ready to leave the EU, a significant portion of those who voted 'Leave' will be dead.
  • And what difference does it make that he's Canadian?
  • Maybe because it's better not to have a fire than to assure people you have plans in place if one breaks out?

• Oh I like that.
  • Herb - perhaps you should ask Alan Sugar - he is bound to have a view on it. ;wink
  • Sugar is one of this old people who voted Leave ;lol
  • edited June 2016
    Oh come on! I know he is a liar and a cheat but surely even he wouldn't stoop so low ;biggrin
  • I mentioned his nationality to see who bit
  • You say that now ;hmm
  • Ironduke

Please don't post things to 'get a reaction'.

Ta.
  • A point of interest: by the time the UK is ready to leave the EU, a significant portion of those who voted 'Leave' will be dead.

I sincerely hope not ;nonono
  • 2 years is a long time in politics, but not that long
  • Just so sad - still not sure how it happened.

Did 52% of the population take us out of the EU, broke up the UK, scattered the UK economy just starting to edge forward after the financial crisis, sent jobs away for so little in return. In considering risk and reward it just makes no sense.

My son completed his GCSE's today and came home depressed instead of happy, he looked like someone just sold his future in front of him, broke my heart.
  • I don't see much difference from the "be careful what you wish for" comments last year. It turned out OK & if the Exit is well managed it too can turn out well. I think the UK has a vested interest in creating legislation that benefits the UK unlike the EU which does not.
  • edited June 2016
    As a young person. My generation have seriously being ruined. But the pension pot will be the first to be ripped up in 10 to 15 years.
  • The next 10 years are gonna be great. I'll be 33. Hope it's looking more positive than it is now and that I look back at voting remain as a "what was I doing moment".
  • Yeold. Gordon brown destroyed the pensions for people by huge taxation and by selling outfield reserves. Leaving the EU does not directly impact on pensions.
    If the EU is do wonderful why is unemployment so high and most countries in financial chaos.
    Everyone seems to be blaming the over 65s and insinuating that they're ignorant and uneducated. Don't forget they've all been there and done it and know what a complete fiasco it is. It's sole purpose is to be a European state headed by Germany and as such has already applied for a seat on the UN council.
This discussion has been closed.