The UK is Out - New PM - and whither now for Article 50

Comments

• edited June 2016
    IronHerb said:

So 330 Tory MP's will select 2 candidates to put forward to 150,000 Tory party members to decide my next Prime Minister. ;weep

I'm guessing the 330 Tory MP's will make a good decision on your behalf given that they are more knowledgeable on the subject and much better placed to make an informed decision?

You wouldn't want Yorkshire Mick getting involved would you?

(Assuming he's not a Tory party member).
  • My father also fought in the war and he will be spinning in his grave at this time.
  • Of course I could have said the introduction of VAT-worse tax ever...I had to spend two days re pricing our stationary stock by hiking up 8.5% vat on everything....
  • edited June 2016
    Col

They'll be deciding the next prime minister based on receiving just over 1/3 of the electoral votes.

I don't think that people would have accepted a referendum vote that only had 36% of the vote.
  • edited June 2016
    Grey

I couldn't agree more. For what it's worth, I think Whitehorsehammer hit the nail square on the head.

A minority Government was given a mandate by the Great British Democracy. One of the Tory party's manifesto pledges was to give a referendum on the British membership of the EU. To be fair to them they delivered.

Anybody that voted Conservative and now bemoans the result of the referendum has some soul searching to do.
  • My dad didn't fight in a war.

• IronHerb said:

So 330 Tory MP's will select 2 candidates to put forward to 150,000 Tory party members to decide my next Prime Minister. ;weep

I'm guessing the 330 Tory MP's will make a good decision on your behalf given that they are more knowledgeable on the subject and much better placed to make an informed decision?

You wouldn't want Yorkshire Mick getting involved would you?

(Assuming he's not a Tory party member).
    No, I would like the opportunity to vote for my Prime Minister and not leave it to the blue rinse brigade to foist one upon me.
  • I agree. General election time?

You could become a member and have your vote that way?
  • edited June 2016
    Until they negotiate the exit from the EU we won't really know how its going to affect us and that will take a couple of years at least. Its been an endlessly negative campaign all round an no-one has really covered themselves in glory. Cameron is going and Corbyn position looks a bit dodgy aswell and I think I might turn off the internet for a couple of weeks until things have calmed down abit. Apart from WHU606 of course
  • I thought about that. I could arrange to hi-jack the vote but the likely candidates would cause me to have to abstain ;lol
  • Can we vote for Bilic? ;hmm
  • Why should there be a general election. We've never ever elected a PM. Our elections are to elect a party and the general public have never chosen a party leader.
    We don't have a US type of politics.
  • Boris is making his acceptance speech for PM.

• We don't have a US type of politics.

And trust me, you really really do not want to

• Thorn

By all means let the parties choose their leader, but where that involves them becoming PM outside of an election, would it not be better to allow the voters to decide if that should remain the case?
  • There's nothing stopping them just going on until the next election as is. I don't think there's any legal basis for having to have a PM.
  • There's nothing stopping them just going on until the next election as is. I don't think there's any legal basis for having to have a PM.

I think we need to have a PM ;wink but you are right, we don't need an election by right.
  • Why should there be a general election. We've never ever elected a PM. Our elections are to elect a party and the general public have never chosen a party leader.
    We don't have a US type of politics.

What a very good point this is - in this sense our Prime Minister is and will be just as "unelected" as the Euro commissioners.

I wrote the following quickly this morning for the local paper, sorry I cant translate it all into English just now..

le resultat de la plebiscite a été vraiment un désastre. L'Union Européenne constitue l'unité politique la plus coherente (faute de meilleure) face a un avenir internationale difficile et problematique pour tous les europeens et pour ceux qui cherche a vivre dans l'Union, et la décision (faut le dire, vivement discuté) de prendre la sortie nous touchent vivement au coeur. Mais il me semble c'est une sortie d'un avion deja decollé. Nous sommes maintenant très inquièts que notre pays s'est lancé dans une période de complexité, insecurité et des risques geo-politiques extremes en mi-terme, et sans parachute. Le R-U, premiere vue, touche a la fin, au revoir l'Ecosse, le terrorisme en Nord Irlande, qui restait toujours au seuil, peut revenir vite. Nous avons surtout des soucis pour nos jeunes et nos enfants qui peuvent etre empêchés de chercher un avenir épanouissant avec un horizon plus large - que nous leurs parents, ont achevé, et ce dont nos parents meme ont battus et sont morts. La GB ne peut pas marcher - ni voler - tout seul..
  • Thorn

There is, of course, nothing to prevent it; I was merely suggesting it might be more democratic.

• I think this has made my decision to emigrate to Australia, a whole lot easier.
  • edited June 2016
    Looks like Corbyn could be on his way out too.
  • #silverlining
  • Good.

Labour need a strong person at the helm..... someone to combat Boris.
  • Grey

Apparently a no confidence motion has been raised by senior back-benchers
  • As a Labour purist, I love Jeremy, he is a principled Left wing politician, and i trust him.
    As a Labour realist, we may need a new figurehead, as I can see a general election looming, as any new Tory leader will want a mandate, due to their small majority.
  • Absolutely Billy.
  • There is now also going to be another vote for independance for Scotland

• Moojor the UK parliament has to approve/make the law change to allow another referendum. The Scots can't just have one.
This discussion has been closed.