The Paris Olympics

Comments

• The speed climbing, wow, just wow.

That needs to be done without ropes.
  • IronHerb said:

The speed climbing, wow, just wow.

That needs to be done without ropes.
    I bet you want piranhas in the swimming pool too πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚.
  • Kite surfing on atm, the first of the medal races. Looks absolutely mental.
  • A gold in the women's kite surfing.
  • A brilliant result for Eleanor Aldridge gets gold in the kite surfing but it comes under the heading of sailing. You usually need a boat to go sailing.
  • A cycling bronze in the women's keirin.
  • A brilliant result for Eleanor Aldridge gets gold in the kite surfing but it comes under the heading of sailing. You usually need a boat to go sailing.

Excellent racing win, which is good as we haven't had much luck in the sailing and they usually deliver, and they have.
  • A huge personal best for KJT in the shot putt, one of her weakest events. With a best throw of 13.38m in her first two attempts, she pulls out 14.44m with her final throw, 52cm better than her previous PB. One of her main rivals for gold, Thiam, threw a metre further with 15.54m, but it's one of Thiam's strongest events, and one of KJT's weakest, so overall not a bad result at all. Thiam leads after 3 events with KJT just 50 points behind her, but with the 200m still to come (KJT is better than Thiam) there's a good chance of an overnight lead for the Brit.

Technically it is sailing because you use a sail, blown by the wind. It's just you're boat is really small hahaha
  • Guaranteed at least a silver as leading in the climbing boulder and lead with just one man to go.

KJT in silver medal position in the heptathlon after 6 events, trailing Thiam by 121 points. She is a better 800m runner than the Belgian, but needs to run about 8 seconds faster which is quite a big ask, but a possibility. That's later this evening.
  • It's a gold for our climber 😊
  • Another cycling medal, a silver in the women's madison.
  • Horse-dancing has a genuine rival for most stupid event at the Olympics; enter breaking.
  • Luckily it’s not at the next one.
  • 2 shocking changes in the women's 4 x 100m; if legal we get the silver, but with better changes it should have been gold.
  • edited August 9
    The changes in the men's version weren't great either, but it looks like a bronze as the USA messed up a couple of their changes and were out of the medals completely.
  • Another cycling bronze, as Jack Carlin, maybe lucky not to get disqualified, wins a bronze in the men's sprint.
  • edited August 9
    It was not to be for KJT, she has to settle for silver even though she ran a PB in the 800m. A below par long jump cost her any realistic chance, but finally it's an Olympic medal for her.
  • Another diving bronze as Noah Williams adds to his bronze in the 10m platform synchro by matching it in the individual variant.
  • Guaranteed a gold or silver in the Taekwondo as our heavyweight moves into the final, narrowly winning his semi-final.
  • edited August 10

Another diving bronze as Noah Williams adds to his bronze in the 10m platform synchro by matching it in the individual variant.

My bad, he got a silver in the synchro with Tom Daley.

• edited August 10
    An athletics medal, a bronze in the women's 1,500m for Georgia Bell, ahead of Laura Muir in 5th. An Olympic record for 3 time champion Faith Kipyegon, a National record for Georgia Bell, and even a PB for Laura Muir.
  • So, my top 3 of ridiculous events at this Olympics, although I haven't quite decided on the order yet, is horse dancing, swim dancing and break dancing. I've suddenly noticed a theme πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚.

Any other contenders?
  • Drama in the high jump. At Tokyo, 2 guys were tied and they accepted a gold each. The same thing has happened here, and, for some reason, they've declined that option and are gonna have a jump off.

I get that it's nicer to get a gold by yourself than with someone else, but surely there's a lot more to lose than there is to gain.
  • Guaranteed a medal in the "Artisitic swimming pair" as they're leading with just 2 teams to go.
  • A bronze in the men's 4 x 400m relay.
  • Drama in the high jump. At Tokyo, 2 guys were tied and they accepted a gold each. The same thing has happened here, and, for some reason, they've declined that option and are gonna have a jump off.

I get that it's nicer to get a gold by yourself than with someone else, but surely there's a lot more to lose than there is to gain.

Not sure, but I think it was the American who didn't want the shared gold, and he ends up losing the jump off. The New Zealander wins after the bar drops down to 2.34m and only he clears it.

• edited August 10

Guaranteed a medal in the "Artisitic swimming pair" as they're leading with just 2 teams to go.

It's a silver for the British pair as the last to go, China, pip them to gold.

It's a nice story as their mums swam together for GB back in the 1990s.
  • A bronze in the men's 4 x 400m relay.

Matched by the GB women.

But it sport and all about the winning at this level surely? Tokyo was a nice story but shouldn't have happened imo.