The Paris Olympics

Thought I'd start a thread as I'm sure there will be a few comment worthy moments over the next few weeks.

Men's hockey, GB v Spain, has just started; I used to play so this is of interest to me perhaps more than for many of you 😊.

Comments

• The Olympics are here. We are now officially interested in, and expert in, everything!

I've noticed in recent Olympics that being four years apart, you can really notice the advance in streaming and hosting video between games. Almost everything is going to be available this time by the look of it.

(Immediately turns on hockey, oooh that's going well.)
  • GB win 4-0, a nice start to my Olympic viewing.
  • We win our first medal, a bronze in the women's synchro 3m springboard diving, after the Australians completely muck up their last dive and drop from competing for silver to out of the medals entirely.
  • We win our first medal, a bronze in the women's synchro 3m springboard diving, after the Australians completely muck up their last dive and drop from competing for silver to out of the medals entirely.

That's good. Just because of the way the sports are usually arranged it feels like it often takes us an age to win our first medal, then 'the media' start to panic about our performance, then we go on to win a decent amount as later events complete.
  • edited July 27
    Wow, how tall is the guy to the right of the podium?

• A second medal, a cycling silver in the women's individual road time trial.
  • edited July 27
    Very unlucky not to get a third medal today. Josh Tarling came 4th in the men's individual road time trial, only a couple of seconds behind the bronze placed rider (and only 12 or so seconds behind the silver) but he lost 10, maybe 15 seconds with a puncture.

Poor lad is only 20, he must be absolutely gutted.
  • Another medal, a bronze in the women's canoe slalom.
  • Why has the BBC got the same coverage on both of its (two measly) channels at the moment???!!! Very annoying.
  • MrsGrey said:

Why has the BBC got the same coverage on both of its (two measly) channels at the moment???!!! Very annoying.

Because it's Andy Murray in what might be his last ever match (but yes, I agree, it's not on when there's so much other stuff they could show).
  • edited July 28
    That swimming. Amazing.

The French winner just made the others look like doggy-paddlers.
  • edited July 28
    MrsGrey said:

That swimming. Amazing.

The French winner just made the others look like doggy-paddlers.

Yeah, shame the Brit just got pipped for a medal, he was in second in at one point in the last 50m, and got touched into 4th.
  • Swam a good time (pretty much his PB, I think). Can't really ask for more.

Now I'm watching hockey. It's O.o O.o

I love the Olympics, getting to see all sorts of things I'd never normally watch.
  • MrsGrey said:

Swam a good time (pretty much his PB, I think). Can't really ask for more.

Now I'm watching hockey. It's O.o O.o

I love the Olympics, getting to see all sorts of things I'd never normally watch.

Yeah, I played club hockey till I was about 40, so I love getting to watch it. Mind you, they way they play, it's a completely different game to the one I remember playing 😂🤣😂.
  • I am astounded by how far and how high that ball goes. It's lethal!

Plus also interesting to see a woman ref (is that what they are called in hockey? Umpire?) and we can hear her talking to the players. Also, how they use VAR.
  • And Murray lives to roar another day!
  • MrsGrey said:

And Murray lives to roar another day!

That man's so tough he's going to walk to his own funeral!
  • MrsGrey said:

I am astounded by how far and how high that ball goes. It's lethal!

Plus also interesting to see a woman ref (is that what they are called in hockey? Umpire?) and we can hear her talking to the players. Also, how they use VAR.

It's an umpire in hockey. Yeah, each team gets a referral; if they use it and are vindicated, they keep the referral (kinda like a review in cricket).
  • I argued for that when it was being brought in for football. (Same in tennis, for the challenges.)
  • Peaty couldn't quite manage to defend his title, he was just pipped to the gold by 0.02s, and won joint silver.
  • I love Becky Adlington, she's just so normal.
  • Ros Canter, one of the GB equestrian team :p

Nominative determinism in action.
  • Is hockey a posh boy sport? (Just noticing how white the GB team is.)
  • Quite a lot of empty stadiums - the tennis match wasn't even half full and I'm just watching the football (USA-Germany) and there are swathes of empty seats.

Both events that I'd have thought would have been popular...
  • Just watched the lowlights of the women's football Zambia Australia. 11 goals, almost all of them totally shocking.

It's why I don't watch women's football; the quality is often so poor.
  • MrsGrey said:

Is hockey a posh boy sport? (Just noticing how white the GB team is.)

Lol, I'm certainly not posh, although only started playing at uni because my girlfriend there played and I started playing mixed hockey through her.
  • I suppose at school level there has to be spacious playing fields/grounds, or easy access to same. So more likely in the leafy shires or private schools.
  • edited July 28
    MrsGrey said:

Is hockey a posh boy sport? (Just noticing how white the GB team is.)

Possibly, one of the goalkeepers has a double-barrelled name - Toby Reynolds-Cotterill.
  • Another diving medal, a silver for Tom Daley and Noah Williams in the 10m synchro.
  • Our first gold, in the Team 3 Day Eventing.