The Paris Olympics

Comments

• Tom Pidcock currently trying to defend his title in the Mountain Bike, was leading but has just had a puncture which cost him 35 seconds and dropped him back to about 8th.
  • Blimey, he won.
  • Amazing performance by Pidcock to slowly catch back up to the front, then come out on top in a battle with a home athlete who had lead for half the race after the Brit's puncture. Another gold for GB.
  • edited July 29
    Guaranteed another medal; one of our team is leading the 3 Day Eventually Individual, with only 3 to go, one of whom is another Brit.

Edit: 1st and 2nd now with 2 left to go, so still just guaranteed a bronze unless the remaining riders have a fence or 2 down.

Further edit: Down to second and third now with just the final rider to go.
  • edited July 29
    I don't think they should have team events where the individual members them also go in an individual event. Like the gymnastics. Seems a bit pointless to me. Why some sports and not others?
  • Just the bronze it is, but that's still 2 golds, a silver and a bronze so far today.
  • MrsGrey said:

Blimey, he won.

Amazing performance to come back from the puncture. I was sure the Frenchman would beat him on the last lap as he'd have more left. I think he probably still would have if he hadn't tried to occupy a space Pidcock had just charged into! Surely our man can't have had anything more left.

Good to see there were no challenges, complaints, etc from the French Team (thought their crowd had a word.)
  • edited July 29
    Guaranteed another canoeing medal, leading in the men's C1 Slalom with only 2 left to go, so a minimum of a bronze.

Edit: At least a silver, leading with just one to go. He came 4th in Tokyo, so great that he's gonna get a medal this time around, a gold would be great but I'm sure he'll be thrilled with a silver too.
  • A silver it is, the last man down was a class apart and won by a good margin. Our 5th medal of the day.
  • I also think its time that gymnastics became more equal for men and women's competitions. In terms of components, criteria, scoring etc.

I know its a step forward that Paris and the Olympic authorities have tried to be better but why oh why have they not removed (which is VERY easy) systemic inequality. Thinking specifically about the floor rotation - men v women. Completely different rules. Geared to the requirement for women to be graceful and 'danc-ey' while men are not allowed to have music.
  • Shame the GB men finish 4th in the gymnastics.
  • edited July 29
    Another medal in the pool, as Matt Richards gets the silver in the men's 200m freestyle, missing out by the same 0.02 of a second that Peaty lost by yesterday. A great performance from lane 1, he was 7th fastest of the 8 that qualified from the semi-finals.
  • Was amazing.
  • Anybody wanna argue that 2 100ths of a second is such a small margin they should award joint gold... Equivalent to a toenail offside in football...
    Just cos we can measure it, should we?
    😆😳

#throwingoutacontroversialposition
  • edited July 29
    MrsGrey said:

I also think its time that gymnastics became more equal for men and women's competitions. In terms of components, criteria, scoring etc.

I know its a step forward that Paris and the Olympic authorities have tried to be better but why oh why have they not removed (which is VERY easy) systemic inequality. Thinking specifically about the floor rotation - men v women. Completely different rules. Geared to the requirement for women to be graceful and 'danc-ey' while men are not allowed to have music.

Must admit gymnastics really doesn't interest me, haven't watched any of it even though we've some medal possibilities.

• MrsGrey said:

Anybody wanna argue that 2 100ths of a second is such a small margin they should award joint gold... Equivalent to a toenail offside in football...
    Just cos we can measure it, should we?
    😆😳

#throwingoutacontroversialposition

Nah, can't be having that, if you can separate them, you should imo.
  • Re gymnastics, it's pretty amazing tbh
  • MrsGrey said:

Re gymnastics, it's pretty amazing tbh

Oh yeah, for sure, I don't dispute that at all, what they can do is unbelievable, but it just isn't my thing.
  • edited July 29
    I am really looking forward to the Triathlon which starts tomorrow as long as the pollution in the Seine has dropped to acceptable levels. The men's is scheduled for tomorrow, with the women's on Wednesday, all pollution permitting.
  • edited July 29
    😳 The athletes don't get any complimentary tickets so their family or friends have to buy their own if they want to come and watch.
  • MrsGrey said:

😳 The athletes don't get any complimentary tickets so their family or friends have to buy their own if they want to come and watch.

Yeah, £400 a ticket for the diving they just said 😱😱😱.
  • That's what I was listening to.

Crazy.
  • I am really looking forward to the Triathlon which starts tomorrow as long as the pollution in the Seine has dropped to acceptable levels. The men's is scheduled for tomorrow, with the women's on Wednesday, all pollution permitting.

Men's triathlon postponed due to water quality, the current plan is to run it straight after the women's one tomorrow. There are reserve days later in the week I believe as the possibility of poor water quality has always been an issue. Apparently they are even prepared to have it without the swim as a last resort, but that's a dreadful idea imo; there should be an alternative venue as a back up imo.

• They're just about to show the new class of windsurfering; the foil. They look mental.
  • British woman has just lost her judo match, is fighting back tears, and they shove a microphone in her face; give her a few minutes to compose herself for goodness sake.
  • A medal in the shooting, it's a gold in the Men's trap.
  • MrsGrey said:

Shame the GB men finish 4th in the gymnastics.

And the GB women do the same, worst place to finish.

• edited July 30
    Another gold, this one in the pool; the men's 4 x 200m relay, the same quartet that won the gold at the last Olympics.
  • That was a super performance.
  • And now the tennis 😳