The Paris Olympics

Comments

• And Murray and Evans survive another 2 match points to win the Match/Championship tie-break and go through to the quarter-finals, having missed 2 (I think) match points in the second set tie-break.
  • edited July 30
    I'd never have guessed if I hadn't known, but the swimming pool is just a temporary one, built in a multi-use building (usually used for rugby I think). The planned new 15,000 seater aquatics centre (the minimum acceptable size for the Olympic swimming events) was going to be too expensive at that capacity, so they limited it to 5,000 seats and are using it for just the diving and water polo, with the temporary pool being used for the swimming.
  • And Murray and Evans survive another 2 match points to win the Match/Championship tie-break and go through to the quarter-finals, having missed 2 (I think) match points in the second set tie-break.

Scenes.
  • They look so totally happy 😁 😂
  • Triathlons get the go ahead today, the women's due off now, the men's later which will mean a run in very high temperatures.
  • It seemed as though nearly everyone got a false start.
  • edited July 31
    The decision to have the swim in the Seine seems crazy given the current; I've never seen a field as strung out during the swim as it is today. An awful lot of competitors are out of the race in the first few minutes.
  • They're struggling in the cycling too, quite a few have gone down already.
  • Beth Potter wins a bronze in the triathlon.
  • Watching the men's triathlon. They get out of the water than back in for the second lap.... Is that normal?

Ps, really annoying woman commentator. Might have to turn the sound off :anguished:
  • Looks like we've got another diving medal, a bronze in the women's synchro 10m platform.
  • edited July 31
    MrsGrey said:

Watching the men's triathlon. They get out of the water than back in for the second lap.... Is that normal?

Ps, really annoying woman commentator. Might have to turn the sound off :anguished:

Yeah, there's usually 2 laps with an Olympic distance (1,500m swim) triathlon, although more often than not it would be 2 equal laps. Having 2 laps helps establish who's where halfway through the swim as it's often difficult to work out where anyone is.

• It wasn't the number of laps but more that they got out and ran around for a bit then got back into the water. I wonder why?
  • MrsGrey said:

It wasn't the number of laps but more that they got out and ran around for a bit then got back into the water. I wonder why?

The out and back in again is normal, as I say I think it might be to help establish where people are but that's just a guess.

• edited July 31
    I'm surprised Wilde has dropped Yee in the run, as Yee is usually really strong. I'm worried that the 2 French and one other runner (Canadian?) are going to catch him and run him out of the medals.
  • Yee timed it perfectly, I was worried about him being caught for silver, and instead he manages to catch Wilde and win gold, awesome.
  • I thought he'd been beaten so watched the rowing 😂.

Poor decision again!
  • edited July 31
    Oh my, another great finish, a gold in the rowing, the women's quad sculls, behind all the way, won it on the line. Really thought it was going to be a silver, but an amazing final sprint overhauled the Dutch. It really was won on the last stroke.
  • Another medal, a silver in the men's BMX Freestyle. He was in third place and last man to go in the second run, he couldn't quite take gold, but he moved up to silver. Some mental tricks from most of the guys.
  • I notice that in uk the medal table is by number of gold, then silver then bronze, which puts china first and us fifth, but in USA their table is by total medals, which puts USA first and uk fourth.
  • A bit like the world maps. In the US a Pacific centred map is often used putting USA at the centre.
  • Another rowing medal, a bronze in the women's double sculls.
  • And another rowing medal, a silver in the women's 4, we come out on the wrong side of a close race with the Dutch this time. Again behind, we nudged just in front in the final 500m, but the Dutch came back and just edged us. A slightly disappointing silver if such a thing is possible, as we were the favourites going into this.
  • A third rowing medal of the morning, a bronze in the men's 4.
  • And another rowing medal, a silver in the women's 4, we come out on the wrong side of a close race with the Dutch this time. Again behind, we nudged just in front in the final 500m, but the Dutch came back and just edged us. A slightly disappointing silver if such a thing is possible, as we were the favourites going into this.

So far this games we seem to have a combination of golds won from behind and golds lost by 0.2 seconds, at least three of each now.
  • So far this games we seem to have a combination of golds won from behind and golds lost by 0.2 seconds, at least three of each now.

Indeed.

We've also had some close 4ths (we seemed to have a disproportionate number of 4ths at the last Olympics), but equally some bronzes that we've just sneaked at the death. For instance, both our diving bronzes (women's synchro 3m springboard and women's synchro 10m platform) were won on the last dive, and in the men's 4 (rowing) this morning we were very poorly away and were last after the first 500m, only overtaking the Italians for 3rd place in the final 500m. It's good that a few of those 4ths have been turned into medals this time around.

• Imane Khelif, a female athlete who has twice failed gender tests wins within a minute forcing her opponent to quit after breaking her nose with a single shot. Her opponent quit as she was terrified of her power, sating shes never been hit that hard ever, and had a breakdown on TV

How has this been allowed? This is a contact sport where boxers have literally lost their lives. Doesn't seem fair at all.
  • edited August 1
    Because the IBA and IOC have different eligibility rules.

Edited, to keep it relevant to what was originally raised as an issue.

Do t wanna confuse anyone by having 2 ideas in 1 comment;-)
  • I don't know the specifics of the differences between their eligibility rules, but it does raise serious questions if she can pass one and fail another.

For me, whether it's DSD, transgender eligibility, or anything else, preserving the integrity of female competition should trump any inclusion arguments at top levels of sport; something in this case suggests it's not a level playing field.
  • edited August 1

I notice that in uk the medal table is by number of gold, then silver then bronze, which puts china first and us fifth, but in USA their table is by total medals, which puts USA first and uk fourth.

Yes I noticed that yesterday as well, given that I think the US team is made up of some 594 athletes, it is patently ridiculous