The Paris Olympics

Comments

• Must admit, in terms of pointless sports, dressage has to be right up there imo.

Have you seen rhythmic gymnastics?
  • They should mix it up even more....how about Volleyball in the swimming pool, archery and dressage simultaneously? I'm not a fan. Even the real events have drug issues. Bring on the Premier League!

• Must admit, in terms of pointless sports, dressage has to be right up there imo.

Have you seen rhythmic gymnastics?
    At least they don't whip the contestants in gymnastics.
  • I think volleyball in the swimming pool is called water polo. I’ve always thought they should use horses too! I wonder why they don’t?
  • How about a new version of the long jump. It's called the Marathon Long jump. It starts 26 miles from the stadium and finishes in the sandpit.
  • My pal and me invented a new Olympic sport in the pub last night. We’ve called it synchronized falling over. =)
  • That's called the hammered.
  • MrsGrey said:

No worries. If I was that bovvered I wouldn't be on the thread :-)

I watched a lot of cycling in the Tokyo Olympics, and got my head around the different events, rules etc.

But that was years ago, and now I'm totally baffled. Teams going in opposite directions.. or is it just the filming?

Gonna have to up my game!

Definitely only going round the track in one direction.......🍷🍷🍷😂🤣😂?

• Did anyone see the Baksetball 3 on 3? It reminded of playing Wembley when I was in primary school. Imagine if that was an Olympic sport
  • Another medal, for veteran skateboarder Sky Brown (16); a bronze in the park.
  • edited August 6
    Guaranteed at least a silver in the Cycling Men's Team Sprint 😊, into the Gold/Silver ride-off later this evening. Will be a tough ask as the Dutch, who we'll be riding against, have just broken the WR.
  • edited August 6
    And guaranteed at least another silver, into the Gold/Silver ride-off in the men's Team Pursuit. Another tough ask, we're against the Aussies who just broke the WR in this event.
  • Guaranteed at least a silver in the Cycling Men's Team Sprint 😊, into the Gold/Silver ride-off later this evening. Will be a tough ask as the Dutch, who we'll be riding against, have just broken the WR.

A silver it is, the Dutch broke their WR again.
  • 1500m coming up. Has been very hyped.
  • Scenes!
  • edited August 6
    MrsGrey said:

1500m coming up. Has been very hyped.

Shock result, neither of them won it 😂🤣😂. At least we got another silver, Ingebrigtsen was out of the medals
  • We were being led by a media narrative, of course.
  • Winner got a new OR.

Kerr a PB and new national record.

A good race.
  • MrsGrey said:

We were being led by a media narrative, of course.

Not really, they were clear favourites over the rest of the field.
  • Were they?

8 men have run faster than Kerr this year already.
  • edited August 6
    MrsGrey said:

Were they?

8 men have run faster than Kerr this year already.

It's very unusual for an Olympic final to be run that fast, Kerr has a good kick which is usually more important. Kerr also won the world title last year.

Looks like the Brits were just run out of the medals in the women's 200m.

Edit: Yeah, 4th and 5th, fractionally behind the bronze medal.
  • edited August 6
    A bronze as our boxer loses a very close split decision in the semi final.
  • Another medal race abandoned in the sailing, dinghy class. Gutting for the Brit, who sits 4th going into the race, but within reach of silver. When the race was abandoned he was in 2nd place with the guys in the silver and bronze positions well behind. If the race had finished there and then, he would take the bronze (comfortably) with a chance of silver, so very bad news that the race was abandoned.
  • And guaranteed at least another silver, into the Gold/Silver ride-off in the men's Team Pursuit. Another tough ask, we're against the Aussies who just broke the WR in this event.

A silver it is, a really close race, less than .2s in it with a lap to go, and then one of our guys very nearly came off his bike; not sure if the saddle slipped, or if he slipped off the saddle, either way he ended up crossing the line on his crossbar.
  • edited August 7
    And another cycling medal, a bronze for our women in the Team Pursuit as we beat Italy in the consolation final.
  • edited August 7
    An athletics silver for Matt Hudson Smith as he gets run out of gold in the last 10m in the men's 400m.
  • Like in the 1500m - a mad galloper came from nowhere.
  • Tactically excellent by the US athletes.
    Very frustrating for the GB athletes.
  • Not a great morning so far, double Olympic taekwondo champion Jade Jones loses in the first round as she did in Tokyo 3 years ago, and our crew in the Mixed multi-hull class in the sailing, who were sat in third going into the medal race, jumped the start but continued racing (rather than doing penalty turns I think) and were disqualified.

Good start for KJT in the heptathlon, but early days yet 🤞🤞🤞.
  • The speed climbing, wow, just wow.