Summer Transfers 2024

Comments

• Seems a lot but he’s had quite a few years of being good in the PL. English players seem to cost more. Seems like it would probably be a good deal.

• Nice nod to Steidten's work. This soft side of transfers is often overlooked so it's good to see we've looking after him as a person as well as a commodity.

• Timmy 🙌🏻🙌🏻
  • Better than sending Sully!
  • Nice nod to Steidten's work. This soft side of transfers is often overlooked so it's good to see we've looking after him as a person as well as a commodity.

I think this is a very important part of Tim's role, not just identifying players, but getting the deals over the line which is something we've struggled with for years. I'm not suggesting that we'll get every player we're interested in to sign, but I have a bit more confidence now than before Tim arrived.

• Really good first interview. Very mature and humble.

• If Wolves genuinely have put a 45M tag on Kilman it obviously shows his value to them but also that their willingness to sell. Personally, I wouldn't let the price stop me and I'd be buying him asap. But then again I love a transfer! I doubt Greaves would cost half of that and I like what I read about him. Those two would be a very cool central partnership.
  • I think there's probably a deal to be done for £35-40m, maybe with some add-ons. I agree about Greaves, I like the look of him, should be available for £15-20m.
  • Not posted in a long time but I would be very happy to see us get Kilman and Greaves for about £60m given we will hopefully recoup about £45-£50m for Zouma and Aguerd. However I think we may be look abroad more than domestically this window but I think it will be easier to bed in Kilman and Greaves.
  • Tomw85 said:

Not posted in a long time but I would be very happy to see us get Kilman and Greaves for about £60m given we will hopefully recoup about £45-£50m for Zouma and Aguerd. However I think we may be look abroad more than domestically this window but I think it will be easier to bed in Kilman and Greaves.

Welcome back 😊.

I think £45-50m for Zouma and Aguerd is extremely optimistic. Aguerd isn't particularly suited to playing in a Moyes team in the PL; he just seemed too weak, especially in the air, and that doesn't really cut it in a team that invites pressure. Obviously he may well do better under J-Lo with a different style, but apparently he is very open to a move away. I suspect we'll only get about £25m for him, £30m absolute tops but I can't see it.

We'll be lucky to get £5m for Zouma imo; his knees are shot and I doubt he'd pass any serious medical. I wouldn't be surprised to see him released if he gets an offer from Saudi just to get his wages off the books.

I think we'll do well to get £30m for the pair tbh.
  • Tomw85 said:

Not posted in a long time but I would be very happy to see us get Kilman and Greaves for about £60m given we will hopefully recoup about £45-£50m for Zouma and Aguerd. However I think we may be look abroad more than domestically this window but I think it will be easier to bed in Kilman and Greaves.

Welcome back 😊.

I think £45-50m for Zouma and Aguerd is extremely optimistic. Aguerd isn't particularly suited to playing in a Moyes team in the PL; he just seemed too weak, especially in the air, and that doesn't really cut it in a team that invites pressure. Obviously he may well do better under J-Lo with a different style, but apparently he is very open to a move away. I suspect we'll only get about £25m for him, £30m absolute tops but I can't see it.

We'll be lucky to get £5m for Zouma imo; his knees are shot and I doubt he'd pass any serious medical. I wouldn't be surprised to see him released if he gets an offer from Saudi just to get his wages off the books.

I think we'll do well to get £30m for the pair tbh.
    Thanks. I understand where you are coming from although isn’t there interest in Zouma from the Saudi’s? Even if we only got £30m back I would still be happy with that trade off. £30m spent and an upgrade on both with more potential when it comes to Greaves and brings the age of the team down as well.
  • edited June 14
    Tomw85 you talk to much sence to be on here =)
  • Times says Man Utd have agreed terms with Jarrad Branthwaite, Everton asking £70m (or £80m according to BBC)
  • The Boot Room website claiming that Chelsea are looking to offload Raheem Sterling with us and Palace interested

Signed a 5-year £325k pw contract in 2022, highly unlikely we could afford to offer him anything close to that
  • The Boot Room website claiming that Chelsea are looking to offload Raheem Sterling with us and Palace interested

Signed a 5-year £325k pw contract in 2022, highly unlikely we could afford to offer him anything close to that

And nor should we. £125k pw and a low transfer fee is all that works for us, I don't think he's the player he was (Pep saw this 2 years ago) and he won't get the chances he had for Liverpool, City or even Chelsea. Also, I suspect, even under J-Lo, that our wide forwards will have to work hard defensively, and I'm not sure that's ever had to be a significant part of his game.

• J-Lo??? Do they really call him that???
  • Fabrizio Romano reckons that Juventus want to sell 21yo Argentinian-Italian left footed RW/AM Matias Soule - asking price £34m - to make space for Mason Greenwood and that we have expressed a "concrete interest" among unnamed others
  • One of the unnamed others being Leicester.
  • And Palace was the other, I think.

If that's our competition, we should be fairly confident of getting him, if he wants to come to the PL, that is.
  • 💥 And the transfer window is officially open 💥
  • Have we signed anyone yet?

We have signed someone already
  • Teamtalk reporting that Villa are interested in a part-ex with Soule plus cash for Douglas Luiz

La Gazzetta dello Sport say that Roma want Soule but need to sell Tammy Abraham first

TuttoMercato links Leicester, Caught Offside website adds Borussia Dortmund, Bayer Leverkusen, Brighton and says Juventus might offer Soule plus cash for Atalanta’s CM Teun Koopmeiners although unsure whether Atalanta are interested

He's a popular boy...
  • J-Lo??? Do they really call him that???

J-Lo??? Do they really call him that???

I really hope not.

• Don’t worry he’s still Julen From the block
  • How does the transfer system work at West Ham? What's the sequence of operation?
    Does Lopetegui tell Tim what kind of player he wants and which positions he wants filling and then Tim identifies the players available within Sully's budget?
    When does Sully enter the process other than setting the budget?

#askingforafriend
  • edited June 14
    From what I can gather, Steidten sets the recruitment strategy, heads up the scouting and analytics teams and has overall control of who comes and goes. Lopetegui, as head coach, will effectively 'just' coach the players. The board sets the budget against which Steidten can make his plans

One assumes as Steidten was heavily involved in recruiting Lopetegui, he's confident that they share a similar vision of how things need to work for them to have a successful relationship and trust one anothers judgement on players; something that I think was probably lacking in the relationship between Steidten and Moyes.
  • Tricky though, because if Steidten recruits the long John silver team it’s the other bloke wot gets the bullet. =)
  • From what I can gather, Steidten sets the recruitment strategy, heads up the scouting and analytics teams and has overall control of who comes and goes. Lopetegui, as head coach, will effectively 'just' coach the players. The board sets the budget against which Steidten can make his plans

That just seems back to front to me.
  • I think the model is there to ensure that the overall strategy can outlast each manager that comes and goes.

With the more traditional set up, a manager would want to bring in his own players, but with the turnover nowadays it's just not feasible to keep overhauling your squad every couple of years. Under the more modern model, a DoF, or Technical Director, whatever you want to call them, sets the overall strategy based on a longer-term plan and hires a head-coach to do the on-field stuff.

It's no coincidence that Lopetegui has come in under the title of Head Coach; his interview touches on what I've said above and he will try to get through best out of the players that Steidten brings in.

Of course, in an ideal world you'd see Head Coach and TD on the same page in terms of strategy and the players involved anyway, and I've got no doubt that if Lopetegui has a specific idea of who he might want, this will have been discussed between the two of them. Mutual trust and respect is key in this relationship, as it is between the football people and the board; hopefully we have that and will see a successful window.
This discussion has been closed.