Summer Transfers 2024

Comments

• He's played 5 league games this season and 24 last season.
  • I don't think he's being brought in for this season necessarily. It's more likely that he's a replacement for Kudus in the likely event that someone meets his release clause next summer. No issue with that at all; it's the type of succession planning that I think we've lacked for a long time.

That said, he could be a very good impact sub given he's absolutely rapid. I can see plenty of 20 minute cameos this season, but I don't think we should expect too much from him.
  • Do we really need another left-footed forward who plays on the right ?
  • I believe he can play both sides and behind the striker
  • edited June 11
    THE ATHLETIC

West Ham goalkeeper Nathan Trott is in talks over a permanent move to FC Copenhagen, a move which would pave the way for Wes Foderingham to move to the London Stadium on a free transfer after leaving Sheffield United.

West Ham are among the clubs who are interested in signing Argentina defender Nehuen Perez, 23, from Udinese. (Gianluca Di Marzio), external
  • The Trott situation is a weird one. 25 now, so not exactly a kid, but by all accounts has done very well in his recent loans in Denmark. Signed a new two-year deal with us only a couple of weeks ago but that seems to have only been done to ensure we get a fee for him.

I've read that Lopetegui likes having an experienced third-choice 'keeper, but with Areola (31) and Fabianski (39) already at the club, I personally can't see the need for another 30+ year-old. I think I'd rather have seen Trott promoted to No2 ahead of Fabianski.

We've let two of our other younger 'keepers go in Anang and Knightbridge, so it'll be interesting to see what happens with Hegyi this season (presumably a League 2/League 1 loan).
  • Trott conceded 35 in 31 games and 8 clean sheets for Vejle BK this season

He must have impressed despite FC Copenhagen putting five past him over two games and he'll get Europa League if he joins them

Football Insider reporting that we've booked medicals for Guilherme and Wes Foderingham

https://www.thewesthamway.com/2024/06/11/medicals-booked-west-ham-line-up-two-incoming-summer-transfers/
  • Areola is 31, unless we sell him there isn't a avenue into the first team for Trott, even if he is good enough which is debatable

That Kelleher at Liverpool is probably a top 10 prem keeper but needs to leave because Allison is blocking his route

Keepers need gametime, he isn't gonna get anywhere with some cup appearances or banking on an injury to Areola
  • It's probably more about him than us. He will recognise if he wants a career as a footballer he needs be playing at 25. He could earn a wage with us but realistically isn't getting any serious game time soon.

I am not sure of the stats regard how many minutes 3rd choice keepers get for clubs during a season but I think it's a job for a young keeper who is starting out and wants to benefit from being around a squad of better players and coaches or an older keeper who has lots of experience but can't get a starting position and wants a wage in his final years.
  • Hard to see, given his age, how he’ll be massively involved in the first team next season.
  • edited June 11
    What's with the 'deal sealed by' bit?

Since when is that a thing?

People doing their job. Yay. Go them.
  • edited June 12
    If the guy has been signed for the future we must have a large pot this window if we can spend 23m for the future, bearing in mind how many spaces we need fill. I suspect he will be playing sooner than most suspect but hopefully still allowed time to find his feet. It's an exciting signing for us fans as for his current side in Brazil to be able demand such a price must indicate the guy is recognised as having top drawer potential. I am glad we are able to take these exciting gambles and credit to the club for having a go.

I could only name three Brazilian sides, those being Santos, Corinthians and Flamengo, I had a look to see where Palmerias are in the league and found Santos are no longer even in the top flight. Pele would turn in his grave.

It took me back to my youth when I proudly owned the Santos team in Subbuteo on account of Pele's connection.

https://www.subbuteoworld.co.uk/hw165-santos-mid-70-s-hw-team-original-box
  • Ex has chucked a few names to ponder

A couple of Brazilian CBs, 24yo Vitao of Shakhtar Donetsk and 20yo Robert Renan of Zenit St Petersburg, both currently on loan at Internacional in Brazil

We were linked with Renan back in December while Forest are rumoured to have made Vitao a better offer

Closer to home Ex mentions Max Kilman and Hull's Jacob Greaves

Ex also suggests that Zoum could be on the way out

24yo LB Juan Miranda of Real Betis.

28yo (soon to be 29yo) CM Aleix García of Girona, 2 caps, was selected for the Spanish Euro 2024 preliminary squad but didn't make the final 26

24yo Portuguese LW (can play RW, CF) Jota Silva of Vitoria, made his full international debut against Sweden in February but will also sit out the Euros
  • Teamtalk claim that Zouma has been transfer listed

"Sources close to the player have indicated that he has expressed doubts about his future"

Contract expires summer 2025

https://www.teamtalk.com/west-ham-united/exclusive-hammers-transfer-list-skipper-kurt-zouma-julen-lopetegui-revolution-gathers-pace
  • I'd love it if we got Greaves and Kilman
  • 28yo (soon to be 29yo) CM Aleix García of Girona, 2 caps, was selected for the Spanish Euro 2024 preliminary squad but didn't make the final 26

Garcia is 26; turns 27 at the end of the month.

From what I've read he's someone that Lopetegui is really keen on, but Leverkusen are also after him, so I think it's more likely he'll go their given their recent success.
  • West Ham are ahead of Aston Villa and Tottenham in the race to sign Roma's 26-year-old England striker Tammy Abraham. (Gazzetta - in Italian)

West Ham have offered English defender Ben Johnson, 24, an improved five-year contract. (Athletic - subscription)
  • Mason Terry has gone on a one year loan to the mighty Urchins in the Vanarama National League South.
  • edited June 12

• Right winger, no?

Bowen, Kudus, Guilherme and now possibly Soule.

Emerson's gonna be very lonely on the left =)
  • Jota SIlva, heavily linked, plays on the left. That geezer Cornet I believe can too (assuming he may actually be fit heading to pre season this season coming...)
  • Also, apparently Soula can play either side
  • FabRom has 'Here We Go'd again for Guilherme.

Must be really sure it's happening this time.
    Bazshuayi said:

Also, apparently Soula can play either side

Yeah, been reading a bit more about him. Seems to be more of a 10 than a winger, and that's a position that needs strengthening, IMO.
  • Are we there yet?
  • FabRom has 'Here We Go'd again for Guilherme.

Must be really sure it's happening this time.

Bazshuayi said:

Also, apparently Soula can play either side

Yeah, been reading a bit more about him. Seems to be more of a 10 than a winger, and that's a position that needs strengthening, IMO.
    Do feel like Kudus seems to do his.best in the middle, but I'd imagine fintehy were both in the side together there'd be a bit of rotation even during the game

We are light a #10 if Paqueta inevitable ban comes in

Am a little surprised we are prioritising wingers instead of a centre forward but guess centre forwards are harder to find and less available

I'm all for looking at younger players though, Guilherme is 19 and Soula is 21

This is the Red Bull model Moyes said he wanted then never followed through with

Need to be smarter with our long term planning
  • Need to be smarter with our long term planning

Agreed, and I think that's what we're doing with Guilherme. I think the club fully expects Kudus to go next summer when his release clause is active, and I think Guilherme is the player likely to replace him. The benefit of getting him now is a) he's cheaper than he's likely to be in 12 months time (assuming his career protectory continues as predicted) and b) he has a season to settle in the country and the league without the immediate pressure of being in the first eleven.

From what I've read about Soule he would be another good buy. Versatile, and young enough to turn a potential profit in a few years even at the reported £34m fee.

We're still heavily linked with Jota Silva too, who is predominantly a left winger but can play on the right and through the middle. The flexibility and options that Bowen, Kudus, Guilherme, Soule and Silva could offer behind a strong No9 would be off the charts.
  • West Ham are interested in Wolves' Max Kilman, 27, but the English defender could cost in the region of £45m 🤑. (Mail)
  • Big number, but he does offer quite a bit; good age (entering his prime for a CB), PL experience, homegrown, current Wolves captain, knows the manager and how he'll want to play.

I'm all for it.
This discussion has been closed.