Summer Transfers 2024

Comments

• Ravel49 said:

And latest rumour incoming is Jota Silva 👀

That one has been around for a while, at least a week or so.

• Johnson set for West Ham talks amid interest from home & abroad
    West Ham defender Ben Johnson will consider all his options before deciding on his future.
    Johnson is out of contract at the end of June and talks over a new West Ham deal will continue this summer.
    Johnson's representatives have been approached by clubs in England and Scotland and the player is also understood to have several options in Serie A and La Liga.
  • Johnson's a tricky one. I want him to stay, but not necessarily because I think we need him for his ability. It's more that we could do without needing a right back this summer if we can avoid it, and if we're going to lose a HG player it would be nice it wasn't on a free, as they're 100% profit. I can't see him being a starter, and I'd assume he'll feel the same, so why stay, if you're him?
  • edited June 8

FabRom is losing his touch Rav. Two deals now he's practically given the old 'Here We Go' to and both deals are apparently off.

Could be a long window if even the more reputable ITKs are jumping the gun on deals.
  • I really hope it’s a long window, such fun.
  • Ravel49 said:

And ain’t no one more credible than FabRom
    Ain’t no one

FabRom is losing his touch Rav. Two deals now he's practically given the old 'Here We Go' to and both deals are apparently off.

Could be a long window if even the more reputable ITKs are jumping the gun on deals.
    Within the last hour, it looks like it's back on again. I would post it but I don't know how to hahaha
  • Last thing I saw was they’d both been offered huge sums to go to Saudi.
  • I just saw an article on "West Ham Zone" that mentioned Sean Whetstone, and described him as "The Six Foot Two editor". I've done some googling, and I can't see anything called Six Foot Two that Whetstone works on, which means it's just describing him tall, which I find hilarious.
  • alderz, you've been quiet recently, has your big day been and gone? If so, congratulations and I hope you had a lovely day.
  • Sun says Fulham have offered £30m for Nketiah, Palace and Wolves also interested while Everton want a season long loan

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/28270750/arsenal-eddie-nketiah-sesko-transfer-premier-league/
  • alderz, you've been quiet recently, has your big day been and gone? If so, congratulations and I hope you had a lovely day.

15th June! Which is probably why I've been quiet. Lots of little things to sort out still, house guests coming on Friday for a week, and 2 and a half days of work left to finish everything that people have squeezed into my diary for this week!
  • Well what are you doing wasting your time here then? 😂🤣😂
  • Ravel49 said:

THE SUN

Atletico Madrid are emerging as favourites to sign West Ham centre-half Nayef Aguerd in a £20m-plus swoop.

And latest rumour incoming is Jota Silva 👀

This person must be a hybrid made up player, no? 😃
  • I don't see why a teen Brazilian would see going to SAudi as a good career move. Money, yes. If he's potentially as good as thought, then he would have the pick of the top European/Prem club and wages to match. The 28 year old... Yes he should go there just for the money (and I don't want us to get him anyway)
  • "Flamengo vice-president Marcos Braz has confirmed defender Fabricio Bruno will stay at the club"

Evening Standard
  • Dodged a bullet IMO
  • A very short article on BBC yesterday about Johnson being in talks to extend his contract

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cx77921j766o
  • Rangers can't meet his wage demands and Leeds won't be able to afford them after they failed to win promotion

Looks like young Mr Johnson is getting a lesson in the reality of football economics

He has been linked with Everton, Tottenham, Wolves, Aston Villa and Southampton in the last week

Claret & Hugh have reported that Saints might be interested in resigning Danny Ings three seasons after he left and of course they're still after Flynn Downes

Saints as West Ham B team?
  • I'd like to see Johnson stay for a number of reasons. Firstly, and selfishly, I'd hate to see a prime age player leave for nothing when he can still do a job for us. I'd rather sign him on a new contract and sell him next summer if need be for some money. Secondly, we need to bring in a lot of new players this summer, so, given he's not old and deteriorating, this is a can that can be kicked down the road, much more so than certain other players.

Thirdly, he's versatile; we're unlikely to plug all the gaps that need filling this summer, so having someone that can fill in in a few different positions is worthwhile. And finally, Coufal has only been extended for a year; as things stand he is out of contract next summer when he'll be 33 (well, in August next summer). We could well be looking for a new RB then, so if Johnson goes we could well end up needing 2 RBs in 2 summers.

And finally finally, if we get Europe in 25/26, then he'll be a club trained player, which is important as without any of those, I believe we're restricted to a squad of just 21 over-age players.
  • It's official, Cresswell has signed on for another year:

https://www.whufc.com/news/aaron-cresswell-signs-one-year-contract-extension

Poor decision imo; Scarles is nowhere near ready (he needs a loan this season, and probably another one the following season), and I doubt very much he will be next summer, so we're going to have a season praying that Emerson doesn't get booked or suspended, and then still be in the same situation next summer.
  • I doubt Cressers would have been offered a new contract without Lopetegui's approval so I guess he sees him as useful cover for LB/CB
  • confirmed Ogbonna is leaving along with Anang
  • It's official, Cresswell has signed on for another year:

https://www.whufc.com/news/aaron-cresswell-signs-one-year-contract-extension

Poor decision imo; Scarles is nowhere near ready (he needs a loan this season, and probably another one the following season), and I doubt very much he will be next summer, so we're going to have a season praying that Emerson doesn't get booked or suspended, and then still be in the same situation next summer.

Personally, I’m fine with this. I think with Moyes and staff leaving, it’s helpful to have a few members of the old guard around still. Cresswell and Antonio are useful leaders to keep around. I’d still hope to sign a left back, and I don’t expect or want to see Cress on the pitch much, but him being here is a net good thing, IMO.
  • Given that Lopetigui tried to sign him for Wolves I’m not surprised at this.
  • I think regard Cresswell we have so many positions to fill this summer that we can't possibly have the money to spend on his replacement if he left for nothing. He is a decent back up and we just don't have the funds or the pulling power to fill each spot with an alternative first eleven level back up. I would hope he is hardly called upon but I am happy having him remain at the club and know if he is called upon he will give everything.
  • I wonder if the club are planning on keeping or selling Andy Irving. We signed him last summer from an Austrian club and loaned him straight back. He scored 10 goals for Austria Klagenfurt this season, as they finished in sixth place. 24 years old, central midfielder
  • Personally I think Cresswell is well past his best, and would argue that he isn't a decent back-up any more. I know he's been a good servant to the club, but he's just too slow now. If Emerson is badly injured on 2nd September, it's going to be a very, very tough time getting to 1st January in the top half of the table imo.
  • alderz said:

I wonder if the club are planning on keeping or selling Andy Irving. We signed him last summer from an Austrian club and loaned him straight back. He scored 10 goals for Austria Klagenfurt this season, as they finished in sixth place. 24 years old, central midfielder

Yeah, that was an odd one, he wasn't even acknowledged as being bought on the OS at the time if I remember correctly, and he wasn't shown on the squad page as being a player out on loan either.
  • Cresswell at CM next season. You heard it here first 😎
  • Very happy with Cresswell staying on. Fantastic player & servant, will bring leadership & familiarity in a time of change & didn’t look out of place at Man City on the final day. Sensible business, especially with a need for HG quota.
This discussion has been closed.