Summer Transfers 2024

Comments

• Apparently Lopetegui wants a least one new CB, so presumably we would be open to selling one of ours. I like Aguerd, but he's not irreplaceable.
  • According to The Athletic, we're signing Wes Foderingham from Sheffield United to be third choice keeper, and we're 'close' to signing that Brazilian centre back, Bruno, from Flamengo.
  • alderz said:

Apparently Lopetegui wants a least one new CB, so presumably we would be open to selling one of ours. I like Aguerd, but he's not irreplaceable.

Let's be honest, you could make a case for replacing all our CBs, so I'd expect at least 2 new ones to come in.

Ogbonna - great servant to the club, but just too old and slow now
    Zouma - great defender but his body just isn't up to the rigours to the PL any more
    Aguerd - surprisingly weak, especially in the air. Definitely not suited by a Moyes low block, J-Lo may give him a new lease of life, but there would be demand for him at a decent price
    Mavropanos - maybe still finding his feet, but dropped a few clangers for sure

If we're going to be looking to defend further from our goal-line this season, you have to seriously question whether Ogbonna or Zouma have any place in the squad. Unfortunately neither is likely to bring in much, if anything, in the way of a fee. Aguerd is the one that might be much better suited to playing under J-Lo, but he's also the one that will bring in the biggest fee (and it's only a might be better suited, he's not really cut out for the physicality of the PL imo).

CB is definitely the area we need to strengthen most imo, let's hope we get it right whichever way J-Lo chooses to go. Definitely at least 2 new CBs needed imo.

• Why would Wes Foderingham want to be third choice?

He is 30 and surely would rather be playing regularly.

• edited May 30

• Why would Wes Foderingham want to be third choice?

He is 30 and surely would rather be playing regularly.

Not sure why, but that’s the reporting. He’s 33, I think.
  • Seems like a waste of money to pay him to be third choice unless it's wrong and Fab is leaving. It's not like we couldn't get a younger prospect plus why would he suddenly go from first choice and be happy being third...
  • The article says that Lopetegui wants “an experienced third choice”, so if it’s not him it’ll be another older keeper.
  • Mirror reporting that the Bruno deal has stalled as we aren’t prepared to match his wage demands

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-ham-transfer-news-fabricio-32927472
  • I get that no-one likes to be lowballed, but given he's 28 and probably thought his chance of a big money move to Europe was long gone, I'd be surprised if he plays too hardball and risks losing the payday of his career.
  • But he's played a relatively small amount of games considering his age. All said and done, we don't know how much he's been offered and if Tim and co don't think he's worth more then we must have other defensive targets
  • For sure, at least this is happening before the window even opens. We definitely have other options, but we need to consider that we need 2 or even 3 CBs, so it would be nice to get one in early doors. I still think this one happens though, I feel he's got more to lose than we have so I can't see him risking the move by demanding anything really over the top.
  • I don't like these tit for tat negotiations.
  • This guy's mentioned in a few places (also that his club rejected the approach). A dazzling, technically perfect teen left winger.... I'm in 😄

West Ham have opened talks with Palmeiras over a £25m deal for winger Luis Guilherme
  • Now this one is pasted because of the reaction it provoked in me 🤪

Kalvin Phillips believes Barcelona 'fit him like a glove' as the midfielder targets a shock transfer to LaLiga
  • What we think we need may not be what Lopetigui thinks we need. If we bought players for the positions we think we need we’d have more than Chelsea.
  • Mirror reporting that the Bruno deal has stalled as we aren’t prepared to match his wage demands

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-ham-transfer-news-fabricio-32927472

Apparently because his wife is pregnant and they would've had to relocate to London immediately which they didn't want.
  • mike said:

Mirror reporting that the Bruno deal has stalled as we aren’t prepared to match his wage demands

Apparently because his wife is pregnant and they would've had to relocate to London immediately which they didn't want.
    Did her pregnancy surprise them?
  • mike said:

Mirror reporting that the Bruno deal has stalled as we aren’t prepared to match his wage demands

Did her pregnancy surprise them?
    Probably more to do with a low ball offer on his salary. I read somewhere that our offer wasn’t much more than what he’s already on so it doesn’t make sense to move.

Maybe we didn’t make it clear that he could supplement his income by getting booked or sent off.
    Too soon??
  • Back in Blightly, the future Mrs shrugged upstairs sleeping off the jetlag

Football Insider (groan) reckons Wolves want £40m for Max Killman who is now our No.1 CB target

Daily Mirror claims that Man Utd are interested in Kudus and are prepared to double his salary

Sky Sports Germany say Bayern are also after Luis Guilherme

• Daily Mirror claims that Man Utd are interested in Kudus and are prepared to double his salary

Don't they have to own him first, or are they just being extremely generous

• I don't like Man Utd.
    But I really like Kudus.
  • So we don't get the Brazil wonder kid .And we loose Kudus ,Sounds about right for us =)
  • steve said:

So we don't get the Brazil wonder kid .And we loose Kudus ,Sounds about right for us =)

Is the deal off?

• edited June 2
    Latest credible update I could find

• And ain’t no one more credible than FabRom
    Ain’t no one

• I'm not going to pretend I know anything about Guilherme, but it's the type of player that Steidten seems to have been brought in to recruit; young, but with a high ceiling and potentially huge sell-on value.

I've said for a long time that we need to do better at identifying top class talent a move before we usually do. We did it with Kudus last summer and Guilherme is, from what I've read, very highly rated so it looks like he could be another example. £25m feels a lot for an 18-year-old fresh out of Brazil, but I guess the thinking is that he'll be a £50m player in a couple of seasons time.
  • It's the type of gamble you have to take at our level if wanting to find ourselves with top class players, as we can't afford them when they have reached their potential and have Champions League options.

Ideally we get three years good service and sell him for 80m, no bad deal if we just get a decent player who retains the sort of figure paid due to his age, of course with every gamble you can lose, which looks like a player not cutting it at the top level and returning to a lower level for a fraction of what was paid.
  • Agree with this and it is exactly the sort of profile we should be trying to get over the line
  • THE SUN

Atletico Madrid are emerging as favourites to sign West Ham centre-half Nayef Aguerd in a £20m-plus swoop.

And latest rumour incoming is Jota Silva 👀
This discussion has been closed.