First Casualty of the 23/24 Sack race

We're up and running, just like last season Bournemouth are the first club to have axed their manager Gary O Neil after last season being the first club to axe Scott Parker with Gary O Neil taking over.

"Bournemouth have released a statement confirming that manager Gary O'Neil has been sacked.

O'Neil leaves the club after overseeing 37 matches in 2022-23, initially on an interim basis before being formally appointed to his first head coaching role in November.

AFC Bournemouth owner and chairman Bill Foley explained: "This has been a difficult decision, but it has been made with great consideration to best position ourselves ahead of the coming season."

The appointment of a new head coach will be announced imminently."

Comments

• Absolutely ridiculous imo, O'Neil did really well with what he had to work with.

Is Potter going there do you think?
  • A very brave or very stupid decision by the Bournemouth owners.
  • That seems crazy
  • Wonder if it’s a fall out over transfer plans like Scotty P 🌪️
    Crazy decision indeed with how they finished the season 🤯
  • Ravel49 said:

Wonder if it’s a fall out over transfer plans like Scotty P 🌪️

It's possible, but the club has changed owners since Parker was sacked.

• Ah ok, I wasn’t aware of that 👍🏻
  • Wow And he saved them crazy
  • One down two to join them.
  • Maybe they want to get an available manager in before anyone else gets the chance to do so? A year too early for Mr Sullivan though.
  • Maybe Sullivan doesn’t want to sack his most successful manager.
  • Maybe Mr Sullivan didn't want to pay out any compensation more like! =)
  • Can’t believe Potter will go there.
  • Never heard of him tbh

Iraola in talks to replace O'Neil at Bournemouth
    Sky Sports News understands Andoni Iraola is in advanced talks with Bournemouth over their vacant managerial position.
    The Spaniard was on Leeds' shortlist to replace Jesse Marsch back in February.
    Iraola has recently left his position at LaLiga side Rayo Vallecano
  • And he’s been appointed 🤯
  • Should have been all over that! Well someone had to say it didn't they. =)
  • edited June 2023
    Brendan on a free would have been my choice
    But that 🛳️ has sailed
  • First casualty of 23/24 sack race, or last of 22/23 race? Just being pedantic! 🤪⚒

Either way, a silly decision IMO.
  • Darren Moore gone at Sheffield Wednesday after "just" getting them promoted.
  • Another strange decision.
  • The sway of an over achieving Spaniard beats Gary ONeill.... The guys been picked because he's this and that. But surely, if he's all that, Bournemouth would be a short stepping stone to better things? Also, if his services were desire by plenty of clubs, Bournemouths only appeal is that they're currently in the Prem

As for Darren Moore... After how they just got promoted...Wow! I guess we'll find out soon who they desire to replacement him in the Champo
  • Silly season kicks off.
  • @Bazshuayi, A Wednesday fan I know says the favourite is Michael Duff of Barnsley who they beat to win promotion but he is being linked with the Swansea position so I wonder IF he might prefer staying local?
  • Big incentive though. Get us up and you’re fired.
  • Roy is 75 years old, the Mick Jagger of football management.
  • Let's see how he gets on against the top half of the table.
  • I think it's between Moyes and Lopetegui, if the latter doesn't walk soon.

And I think with our opening six games, there's a very good chance it'll be Moyes.

From what I saw today, there's been no improvement whatsoever in approach, in style or in execution.
  • potter is still out there unless I missed something
  • First Casualty of the 23/24 Sack race.........Please let it be Moyes
  • It almost feels as though Sullivan is trying to get Moyes to walk to avoid having to pay him off, but if he's had control of transfers taken away from him Sully could leave himself open to a constructive dismissal claim a la Curbs you'd have thought.