First Casualty of the 23/24 Sack race

Comments

• It almost feels as though Sullivan is trying to get Moyes to walk to avoid having to pay him off, but if he's had control of transfers taken away from him Sully could leave himself open to a constructive dismissal claim a la Curbs you'd have thought.

https://www.whu606.com/discussion/11812/summer-transfer-window-2023/p62

Is there an echo in here? 😂
  • buffy, That is why Mr Sullivan, it is alleged, decided to form a transfer committee so as to avoid it actually looking like our manager has had control over our signings taken off him. 😉
  • I think it's between Moyes and Lopetegui, if the latter doesn't walk soon.

And I think with our opening six games, there's a very good chance it'll be Moyes.

From what I saw today, there's been no improvement whatsoever in approach, in style or in execution.

I mean it’s a bit early to be trotting out the old Moyes Out stuff innit?
    We haven’t actually kicked a ball in anger yet.
    Maybe leave it ‘til ten minutes in next week?🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Slacker said:

I think it's between Moyes and Lopetegui, if the latter doesn't walk soon.

And I think with our opening six games, there's a very good chance it'll be Moyes.

From what I saw today, there's been no improvement whatsoever in approach, in style or in execution.

I mean it’s a bit early to be trotting out the old Moyes Out stuff innit?
    We haven’t actually kicked a ball in anger yet.
    Maybe leave it ‘til ten minutes in next week?🤷🏻‍♂️
    Why? I haven't changed my mind since the end of last season, so it's hardly new news, is it?

My opinion on Moyes is irrelevant, anyway. I think he's the manager most under pressure given last season's performances and this season's expectations.
  • Moyes is the favourite to leave at the start of every season
  • I saw Moyes out was trending on twitter which is ludicrous after a pre season friendly!

My take on is as follows. He would have been out last season had we not won the Conference as we struggled in the league with what should have been a squad to see us comfortably upper half of the table. The conference was a big thing because it came with a trophy to celebrate and we certainly enjoyed doing so. Yet it didn't really serve to offset our performance in the league and suggest we could perform better than we were in the league We played two teams that were a bit of a challenge, the first probably equivalent to a top end championship side and we beat them, and the second a upper mid table premiership side, who outplayed us but we won.

I was, and am still, in favour of Moyes being in charge at present because I think the conference was a trophy, and the first in such a long time. But he has not got a lot of credit in the bank in my view and losing Rice is massive and we needed to replace him quickly and with quality. At present we have been on a pointless trip to Australia and have no replacement for him or Scamacca, and have lost a good squad player in Lanzini. We need to rectify this quickly as there really will be no room for error this season. I base this on a view regarding last season.

If I ask would we have stayed up and won the conference with Moyes in charge but without Rice I think the answer for me is neither. And as it stands that is exactly the position with which we enter the new season.

It is ludicrous to judge before the season has begun but it's perfectly legitimate in my view to hold serious concerns on account of the business done so far (zero) and our pre season, in which we have looked a few weeks from fit and ready.
  • edited August 2023
    The idea that you can’t have a season where you underperform slightly, & that has to automatically lead to sackings & changes when it does happen, is ridiculous. We finished 6th, 7th & 14th in his 3 seasons, it’s hardly terrible. We average 53/54 points a season for the last 3 years, which is top 10. Add to that a European semi-final, a European trophy & three seasons of European football…you don’t sack a manager & create wholesale change based on one slightly underwhelming year when you finish 14th (which is still in the top 2/3rds of the league). You can be brave & sack a manager if you feel he is now not equipped to lead the side & get the best out of the players, but of course that is a massive gamble with somebody like Moyes when you consider his experience & his achievements for us.

Pre-season judging is a waste of time. We won every game under Avram, finishing bottom. We had an underwhelming pre-season in 2020/21, then finished 6th. What it has done is fed the negativity that has existed since the Europa Conference final win wore off & the lack of signings incoming. So every opportunity to jump on the manager, owners, club has been taken. Losing to Rennes & Leverkusen is not a big deal in a pre-season friendly. It’s just a shame that we seem to have lost all momentum since the European trophy win, which is a shame as we really were buzzing for a few weeks after that, & a few new signings coming in the door earlier & we may have really bounced into this season, regardless of losing Rice.
  • @Lukerz, I realise it's only rumours BUT what if some of the players decide to stop playing for the manager? Supposed ITK's, no I can't find evidence of this, said David Moyes told the squad he would go after the ECL Final then obviously went back on that. At least one of the Top 7 finishes should have been better but we all know what happened in January with getting a new striker in. Years later & we are still trying to sign a top Centre Forward having let 2 really good ones leave!
    Leicester won the league then sacked Ranieri! IF we make a "horlicks" of the first few games where does that leave us? Ideally he should have gone in June & we would have had a few decent signings through the door by now who would have done a pre season with us. Instead we are left with the internal disagreements creating a big cloud over the club.
  • According to SKY Wolves are currently in talks with Lopetegui to mutually cancel his contract.
  • Does it count as part of the 2023/24 sack race it it happens before the first game of the season?!
  • Mutual consent is technically not a sacking, the game continues…
  • Hmm... maybe we need a new for it...
  • So if Moyes resigns that doesn't count?
  • Does it count if it's constructive dismissal?
  • There’s a change.org petition on the go for Moyes to be sacked.
  • There’s a change.org petition on the go for Moyes to be sacked.

I think that was started in December. Old news.
  • I got the email today so to me it’s new news.
  • IronHerb said:

According to SKY Wolves are currently in talks with Lopetegui to mutually cancel his contract.

And he's gone.
  • I think, with the number of outgoings, it does smack of constructive dismissal. O'Neill will be happy to get another Prem job whatever the finances are at Wolves after the way he was dumped by Bournemouth
  • Odd given they’ve had all window & now him & the club have decided to part ways 2/3 days before the start of the season.
  • edited August 2023
    Bazshuayi said:

I think, with the number of outgoings, it does smack of constructive dismissal.

I doubt it - BBC saying he asked to leave ages ago, and club agreed but he said he'd stay on until a replacement was found, and also to see the squad through pre-season.

All sound amicable, and that both sides acted well.
  • He may have asked to leave but looks like he also wanted a pay off. 🤷‍♂️
  • IronHerb said:

He may have asked to leave but looks like he also wanted a pay off. 🤷‍♂️

There would have been contractual obligations that needed to be settled but no suggestion that either side unfairly benefitted from it.

• Wolves first game is Man U away on Monday night

♪There may be trouble ahead...♫
  • Just looking back on this thread.

Astonishingly, they have been no sackings yet.

But,you can't imagine Heckingbottom has many more matches to save his job.
  • It’ll be Cooper
  • #Just like that :)
  • Heckingbottom about to go. Not sure what the board there were expecting, tbh.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66908227