The Ashes

Comments

• I think he and Foakes can consider themselves hard done by. He’s a better spinner and Foakes a proper keeper.
  • Only team change is Tongue in for Moeen for 2nd Test.
  • Ahead of Woakes is a surprise.

And got to assume that Wood isn't 100%, too.
  • Very surprised he's been chosen ahead of Woakes, not particularly surprised it's all seam though.
  • Bit of pressure on Root you'd have thought to tie up an end. Hopefully won't distract from his batting.

Four seamers all very similar in pace. Could there have been a case to call up Sam Curran to at least offer some left arm variety?
  • Yeah, it's a bit of a risk imo, we have to take 20 wickets, and I'm not sure that attack will do it. Depends on the pitch I guess.

I wonder if, given Dawson's efforts in the current round, that they're not playing Rehan Ahmed so they can bring Dawson into the squad for the following Test?
  • edited June 2023

I wonder if, given Dawson's efforts in the current round, that they're not playing Rehan Ahmed so they can bring Dawson into the squad for the following Test?

Bloke's on course for a century and a 10-fer in the same game. 6-40 in Middlesex's first innings, and currently has 2-21 in their second, following on.
  • edited June 2023
    Yeah but it's Middlesex, one of the weakest teams around at the moment. Before this game he's taken 6 wickets at 29 a piece in 7 games. Not that impressive.
  • IronHerb said:

Yeah but it's Middlesex, one of the weakest teams around at the moment. Before this game he's taken 6 wickets at 29 a piece in 7 games. Not that impressive.

Ahmed has 6 wickets at 67 from 7 games in Division 2.

Dawson has at least been consistent in first class cricket for a number of years now. He has a batting average of 32 and a bowling average of just under 31.

Leach, by way of comparison, is 14 and a touch under 29

Ahmed is 33 and 37.
  • Ahmed is an 18 year old leg spinner who they are looking to fast track.
  • edited June 2023
    Yeah I get that, but does that make him more deserving of a call up? They tried something similar with Mason Crane a few years back and that didn't pan out too well.

I understand giving Ahmed a run out on spin-friendly pitches in Pakistan, but for a home Ashes series, I'd have preferred Dawson who is, IMO, more reliable and has good experience of home conditions. Cook said he'd have gone with Dawson if he was captain, but Ahmed is the more obvious BazBall selection.

As it is, Stokes prefers no front line spinner over Ahmed anyway.
  • Can't help feeling bowling Ahmed on a potentially good batting track against the top 3 batsmen in the world ranking could potentially do more harm than good to an 18 year old, hence no surprise he's been left out. Admittedly Dawson hasn't played a Test in 6 or 7 years, but you've got to feel he'd be a much safer (and therefore maybe less Bazball) option.
  • I wonder if, given Dawson's efforts in the current round, that they're not playing Rehan Ahmed so they can bring Dawson into the squad for the following Test?

Bloke's on course for a century and a 10-fer in the same game. 6-40 in Middlesex's first innings, and currently has 2-21 in their second, following on.
    Finishes the match with 12-130 with the ball and 141 with the bat in Hampshire's sole innings.
  • Big call, England have won the toss and put Australia in.
  • Not sure it's a big call, it was the obvious thing to do.
  • You can throw powder at flowers, you cand glue yourself to the M25 but you DO NOT muck up The Ashes!😉
  • Bad drop by Pope, we can't afford too many of those. Admittedly the slips are a bit closer than usual as the ball isn't really carrying through off the pitch, but we have to be taking those.
  • The slips positioning is set by the keeper.

#justsayin 😂
  • The Australians will have all turned up for this test. Loss.
  • Well done Tongue.
  • Dreadful leave, first wicket down. Khawaja gone, 73-1, Tongue with the wicket, and that's lunch.
  • Not good news, Pope dives and appears to have hurt his shoulder; he's got a history of shoulder issues. He's immediately left the field, hopefully just for a quick once-over.
  • 96-2, Tongue again, gets Warner with a peach of a ball.
  • Just a shame the senior bowlers haven't stepped up today.

At least when seam isn't working, you can just turn to spin.

Oh no, that's right.
  • edited June 2023
    Finally the third wicket, Robinson takes it, Labuschagne gone. 198-3.
  • And now a 4th, 316-4, Bairstow stumps Head off Joe Root.
  • And now 316-5 as Root takes a second, Green without scoring.
  • Close of play, 339-5. Definitely Australia's day after being put in, gotta feel England could well be up against it now, and how much worse it was looking until 2 late wickets for Joe Root.
  • Most over used word by the media....Bazeball o:)
  • Nice early wicket but runs being scored freely already this morning.