The Ashes

First Test in this summer's Ashes series. Almost certainly a very good toss to win, and England have chosen to bat.

A real test of Bazball against such a strong Australian attack.

Comments

• Not a great shot by Duckett tbh, 22-1.
  • Surprisingly passive start from Australia. Thought they come out and try to match England's aggression but they've not even tried.

Early days, obviously, but a more comfortable start than I was expecting, to be honest.
  • 92-2, Pope lbw to Lyon on review.
  • 50 for Crawley, off 56 balls.
  • Crawley out in the last over before lunch, 124-3, caught off the glove again on review.

That makes it Australia's session in my eyes on this wicket.
  • Crawley out in the last over before lunch, 124-3, caught off the glove again on review.

That makes it Australia's session in my eyes on this wicket.

Given the pitch and the conditions, I agree. At this rate, we're looking at a 300-350 which is well within Australia's reach.
  • Is it a good pitch? Some keeping low, Crawley caught off one that jumped. Time will tell.
  • Too casual by Brook, but he luckily gets dropped by Travis Head, who seemed to take the catch diving forward only for it to pop out of both hands as he skidded along the ground.
  • So unlucky for Brook, it bounces up really high off him, it then hits him again on the way down and bounces onto the stumps. 175-4.
  • edited June 2023
    Not sure why he didn't cover his stumps. Instinct should have kicked in there I would have thought
  • Stokes gone now. Turning into Australia's day
  • Stokes gone now. Turning into Australia's day

Yep, 176-5, not the start we needed. Fortunately we bat deep with Bairstow and Mooen Ali at 7 and 8, but a big ask to get the 400+ we would have been targeting as a bare minimum.
  • Problem is, both haven't had much red ball game time of late. Like you say, big ask for those two to carry this innings.

Bazball was always going to be tested against this bowling line up. After a slow start Australia are getting on top and slowing it down.
  • Problem is, both haven't had much red ball game time of late. Like you say, big ask for those two to carry this innings.

Bazball was always going to be tested against this bowling line up. After a slow start Australia are getting on top and slowing it down.

Root is still there though, and has reached his 50 now.
  • Root survives an lbw decision thanks to a review, it just glanced his glove before hitting his pad.
  • 240-5 at lunch, even second session imo, 116 runs for the loss of 2 wickets. Australia still the happier of the two teams atm I woulda thought.

They’re slowing it down alright. 15 minutes after tea they’ve bowled 56 overs and Lyon has 18 of them. 🤷‍♂️
  • Bairstow's One Day innings is over.

A good 78 but a century was definitely on.
  • Been out most of the day baby visiting and got back in time to see Bairstow putting Aussie to the sword then off he goes. Oh well good to see him back and taking up where he left off.

Just love Test Cricket.
  • England declaration! This Is Outrageous! =)
  • It's brave, certainly. Cook wouldn't have done it. Root wouldn't done it. I wouldn't have done it.

420+ was on with a tiring Aussie team and I think I'd rather have the runs on the board.

I get this is what Bazball is all about, but I'm not convinced it's the right decision today.
  • Very unusual to have a declaration below 400 in the first innings of a non-rain affected first Test in an Ashes series.

Obviously want to have 2 goes at the Aussie openers, but with Root still there we could have added another 50 odd runs.
  • I could understand it if the ball was hooping around, but it's a decent pitch and there's very little movement.

No real threat in these opening overs and I can't help but think we've just lost 30-50 runs with that decision.
  • What I found odd was with Bazball in full swing we went all old school and declared so we could have a few overs at them.
  • England have a history of losing tailend wickets cheaply on the 2nd day of their innings, so maybe the choice of getting a wicket while the Aussies were tired vs potentially not many more runs was a worthwhile gamble.
  • Some cheap runs given away already this morning. Ball isn't doing a great deal and, as with last night, very little threat to Warner and Kuwaja.

Until Warner plays on... 😄
  • edited June 2023
    Broad gets Warner, perfect 😊

I know he's a pantomime villain, but I really dislike both him and Smith over sandpapergate.
  • Some cheap runs given away already this morning. Ball isn't doing a great deal and, as with last night, very little threat to Warner and Kuwaja.

Broad now on a hattrick.

I know my cricket.
  • 2 in 2, Labuschagne out for a golden duck.

Broad now on a hattrick.

I know my cricket.
    Can you predict a 5-0 whitewash to Aussie please?😉😂