The Ashes

Comments

• edited June 2023
    Root drops a caught and bowled chance, not easy, but definitely a decent chance. It was Carey as well.
  • Still thinking Australia. Just 54 needed.
  • edited June 2023
    WINVIZ has an England win at 64%

Really not seeing that myself 🤷‍♂️
  • New ball our last hope. Wickets (hopefully), or possibly quick runs.
  • Root finally gets his C&B!

8 down. Come on England.
  • edited June 2023
    Get in, inspired by Stokes to leave Root on with the old ball, but finally Root takes a return catch, and it's Carey as well.

227-8, Australia need 54, England need 2 wickets.
  • Thought Stokes took an amazing catch there, but no 😭😭😭
  • Why haven't we taken the new ball? Shoulda taken it for Broad, and now another over starts with Robinson and the old ball.
  • Why haven't we taken the new ball? Shoulda taken it for Broad, and now another over starts with Robinson and the old ball.

I think the last 15 has shown why we took our time to take it. Everything’s running onto the bat.
  • Gutted 😭😭😭
  • edited June 2023
    I’m not sure why England stopped thinking about just getting the batsman in front of you out, instead of constant field tweaks & bowling strategies.

Also, didn’t know it was a one test series?
  • WHAT A TEST MATCH.
    Sport at it’s very best.
    It had everything didn’t it?
    Well played Aussie, particularly Pat Cummins at the death but both sides were superb.

This could be some series.
  • Great test match. We’ll win the next one.
  • Lukerz said:

I’m not sure why England stopped thinking about just getting the batsman in front of you out, instead of constant field tweaks & bowling strategies.

Also, didn’t know it was a one test series?

Hope not, I’ve got tickets for the Oval Test.
  • Disappointing finish, that. Looked like England might have it in the bag when Carey went but didn't have enough. Frustrating that they got Warner, Smith and Labuschagne pretty cheaply in both innings and still found a way to lose.

That declaration on Day 1 looks naive. I would say in hindsight but I suspect most thought it was a mistake at the time.

And ultimately England had to carry Anderson and Moeen who I thought both underperformed.

But a great game overall, and hopefully the rest of the series will be as exciting (but with an England win).
  • Yep, imo a combination of the declaration, Moeen’s injured finger and Jon-boy’s not so great keeping cost us.
  • Definitely some selection questions for the second, and subsequent Tests for that matter. After so long out of the red ball game, at what point, if any, in the summer will Moeen actually be able to bowl for an entire match? Will Bairstow improve behind the stumps so there's actually a question to answer of whether Foakes should be playing? Will Stokes and McCullen be too stubborn to change anyway? Which Tests will Anderson play (I'm sure he was never expected to play all 5 anyway)?

The Moeen question is a big one; his finger isn't going to toughen up straight away, so it brings into question his ability to bowl the required in a Test all this summer imo. He was only brought back into the red ball game because of the dirth of alternatives, so who is the next in line?

It's not even as if we have a reliable all-rounder/5th bowler to rely on; although Stokes apparently ending the first Test in no worse shape with his knee that he started it is a huge plus, the number of overs he can be trusted to bowl in any match is seriously limited.

Is the answer an all seam attack with only Root to try and tie down an end? He bowled well and cheaply at Egbaston, but I'm not sure he won't be attacked more in a game where the Aussies have more of an upper hand. We do at least have options in the fast bowling department, as solid cases can be made for the inclusion of both Woakes and Wood, but it's asking an awful lot of Root.

We've already discussed the Bairstow/Foakes situation; imo if Foakes had played we'd have had a much better chance of winning, but it's unlikely Bairstow will keep quite as poorly in the next match. It's still a big question though, but I'm not sure Stokes and McCullen will change their position, even though Lords isn't the easiest ground at which to keep wicket.

The remaining 4 Tests come in 2 "back-to-back" pairs when the matches are only separated by 3 days; I strongly suspect Anderson will only play one Test in each pair. That leaves a choice of Lords or Headingly, and then Old Trafford or The Oval. So there's likely to be some natural rotation anyway, but possibly even more when the spinner situation is resolved.
  • edited June 2023
    The spin situation in this country is a bit desperate. If Leach is the best we have, then we have a big problem to address. I didn't think Moeen's return was the right call, and he did little over the five days to make me think otherwise.

I find it a bit of a slight on the county bowlers that have been playing red-ball cricket. I thought Dawson should have got the call personally; he's been in and around the England white-ball squads for a while and has been a consistent performer for Hampshire in the longer format, and is no mug with the bat. To be overlooked for someone who retired and gave up on red-ball cricket is a bit of a kick in the teeth, IMO. Rihan Ahmed was the other name bandied around, and I wouldn't have been against his inclusion, although he's probably a bit too raw and inexperienced to be thrown into an Ashes match.

Foakes has to come in for Lords. You say Bairstow won't keep as poorly as he did in this game, but there's every chance that he does. He's not what I call an instinctive 'keeper like Foakes, and could easily cost us another 100 runs in the next game.

I doubt Stokes and McCullum will change anything; they appear to be stubborn in their approach to the game and I expect them to be stubborn in selection. The only change I can see them making is Wood for Anderson if the Lords pitch is anything like what we saw at Edgbaston.

I would probably go with:

Bairstow
    Duckett
    Pope
    Root
    Brook
    Stokes
    Foakes
    Robinson
    Dawson
    Broad
    Wood
  • You say Bairstow won't keep as poorly as he did in this game, but there's every chance that he does. He's not what I call an instinctive 'keeper like Foakes, and could easily cost us another 100 runs in the next game.

Although I doubt Bairstow will be quite as poor again, that doesn't mean I think he should keep; he's a batsman who keeps rather than a keeper who bats, and that's not the right path imo (and nor was it for Stokes and McCullen last summer either). I, like you, would prefer to try Bairstow as an opener in place of Crawley, but I just don't think Stokes and McCullen will effectively admit they got it wrong.

I doubt Stokes and McCullum will change anything; they appear to be stubborn in their approach to the game and I expect them to be stubborn in selection. The only change I can see them making is Wood for Anderson if the Lords pitch is anything like what we saw at Edgbaston.

Moeen will surely be dropped, no way he's not going to have the same issue in a Test in a week's time.

• You say Bairstow won't keep as poorly as he did in this game, but there's every chance that he does. He's not what I call an instinctive 'keeper like Foakes, and could easily cost us another 100 runs in the next game.

Although I doubt Bairstow will be quite as poor again, that doesn't mean I think he should keep; he's a batsman who keeps rather than a keeper who bats, and that's not the right path imo (and nor was it for Stokes and McCullen last summer either). I, like you, would prefer to try Bairstow as an opener in place of Crawley, but I just don't think Stokes and McCullen will effectively admit they got it wrong.

Moeen will surely be dropped, no way he's not going to have the same issue in a Test in a week's time.

Not sure what they'll do if they drop Moeen though. Bring in Wood and have Root holding up one end? I mean, he'd probably be more economical than Mo.
  • Moeen wasn't really able to bowl properly in the second innings, and the finger was an issue in the first innings as well. It will surely blister again if he's played in the next Test, again making him ineffective. It's bad enough that we'll likely be "carrying" a weak keeper in Bairstow, we can't afford to play Moeen if he can't bowl.

As I said earlier, Root did a great job at Edgbaston, but Australia were always under pressure; I'm really not sure how well he's going to do if, for instance, they win the toss and get a good start, as I suspect they could really go after him in those circumstances.

Dawson is certainly an option, as Rehan Ahmed hasn't had that good a season with the ball so far; the alternative might be all seam/pace and chancing Root as our main spinning option. Woakes would surely play in those circumstances, as neither Wood nor Anderson can be relied on for lengthy spells so I suspect it will be one or the other of those two (I can see those 2 alternating in the remaining 4 Tests). A left field option might be Livingstone, or even Will Jacks, although both are more batsmen who bowl than bowlers who bat, but our options are limited; at least both have been in and around the England white-ball teams recently.
  • Rehan Ahmed added to the squad, despite a very indifferent season with the ball so far. It's certainly forward thinking, he's only 18 and did OK when he played in Pakistan, but obviously it will be a very different pitch at Lords.
  • As I've said before, I'm not against him being involved, but it's another big call.

Mo was included, presumably, because of his experience, but the next spinner called up is the complete opposite.

I might keep banging the drum for Dawson, but I think he should have been next in line.

Still. Go well, Rehan.
  • Still persisting with Bairstow as keeper. Madness
  • Still persisting with Bairstow as keeper. Madness

Sadly so, but very predictable.
  • I might keep banging the drum for Dawson, but I think he should have been next in line

A century and now two wickets in three overs for Hampshire versus Middlesex.
  • I might keep banging the drum for Dawson, but I think he should have been next in line

A century and now two wickets in three overs for Hampshire versus Middlesex.
    Now 6-23 from 13 overs.
  • He's gotta be feeling very hard done by.