The Ashes

Comments

• And now they're off again. Coming on for that 20 minutes or so didn't really do us any favours, that's for sure.
  • They seem to be a bit lucky these Aussies.
  • The weather forecast for Tuesday is rain all day. ☔️☔️☔️
  • IronHerb said:

The weather forecast for Tuesday is rain all day. ☔️☔️☔️

As much as I've enjoyed the extremey positive approach of "Bazball", I hope they accept that a draw, especially in the Test of an Ashes series, is far better than a defeat when deciding on their batting approach and any possible declaration; weather can mean that you can't always win a game of cricket.
  • IronHerb said:

The weather forecast for Tuesday is rain all day. ☔️☔️☔️

As much as I've enjoyed the extremey positive approach of "Bazball", I hope they accept that a draw, especially in the Test of an Ashes series, is far better than a defeat when deciding on their batting approach and any possible declaration; weather can mean that you can't always win a game of cricket.
    Agreed. I get that Bazball is done, in part, to make Test cricket more exciting and I'm grateful for it because it's my favourite format, but ultimately the Ashes are up for grabs here.

It looks like a batting day today, so England could try to push on and set a challenging target, but Tuesday's forecast as of right now suggests that there could be four or five hours possible play after lunch so that needs to be factored in.
  • I think they’ve answered our questions. Root off like a rocket. 🚀
  • Nah, declare with a lead of 180/90 and bowl em out Stokesy!
  • Slacker said:

Nah, declare with a lead of 180/90 and bowl em out Stokesy!

Not quite that extreme, but it is a worry that Stoke will do something unnecessarily aggressive. Let's not forget that Australia have the top 3 rated batsmen in the world rankings, plus the guy who made 141 in their first innings.

We're 4 down now, we need to take a breath and make sure, at the very least, that we get to a lead of 300, which we'll easily manage with a positive but not reckless approach and still have time to have a go at them this evening. Obviously a bigger lead is preferable, I guess it depends on how tomorrow's weather is looking by later this afternoon.
  • I think if you are going to go down the Bazball philosophy you have to double down on it imo. You play for the win always, i think thats how Stokes will treat it. Win or Lose there is no middle ground.
  • I'm hoping the bags underneath young Jack's eyes have gone down so he can actually see where he's going hahaha
  • I think if you are going to go down the Bazball philosophy you have to double down on it imo. You play for the win always, i think thats how Stokes will treat it. Win or Lose there is no middle ground.

Unfortunately weather can mean there is middle ground, but we shouldn't assume there will only 2 sessions tomorrow, set too low a target on that basis, and Australia have an easy stroll to victory if the forecast is wrong.

• To be fair i personally don't know why Stokes declared when he did in the first innings, i would have thought first innings in an Ashes series you want everyone to have a go on the bat. But if that is the route he is going down then i can see him trying to push England to a 300 lead (if they can) and putting Australia back in for the last session.
  • Amazing stat from BBC:
    In Joe Root's 240th Test innings, that was his 220th dismissal but the first time he's ever been stumped.

Alderz should have been all over that. =)
  • Please England, don't throw it all away!
  • Must admit, once it was given on field, I was worried about the Bairstow lbw; I thought it might well be umpire's call when it was reviewed. Big relief that he survived.
  • edited June 2023
    England look a bit bogged down now. 162 run lead with only five wickets remaining; Ali, Broad and Robinson could be good for 40-50 runs between them if they hit out and luck's on their side, but a lot rests on Stokes and Bairstow now.

To be fair i personally don't know why Stokes declared when he did in the first innings, i would have thought first innings in an Ashes series you want everyone to have a go on the bat

It didn't feel right at the time. There was probably at least 30-40 runs to be had between Root and the tail and had those been scored, the lead would now be 200 and things would look a bit better.

Had we nicked a couple then it would obviously have been a great call, but I think Stokes will rue that decision when this game is done.
  • If Bairstow didn’t have a mare behind the stumps we could also be 200 runs ahead.
  • IronHerb said:

If Bairstow didn’t have a mare behind the stumps we could also be 200 runs ahead.

Yup, another call I didn’t agree with.

If Bairstow goes on to get another 70+ this afternoon and England win, then arguably his inclusion was the right call, but I still think Foakes should have played (and maybe Bairstow > Crawley).
  • Bairstow gone for 20, 196-6, only 203 ahead.
  • Need to find another 80 runs, minimum.
  • Think we'll do well to get to 250. Losing wickets fairly regularly and I don't think Ali, Robinson, Broad and Anderson will hang around.
  • Riveting stuff. So finely balanced.
    Some of the best players in the world on show here.
    Love it.❤️
  • Oh. Stokes walks across his stumps and is out LBW.

Pendulum swings back in Australia's favour.
  • edited June 2023
    Stoke's goes to an umpire's call lbw (out as given on-field). 210-7, only 217 ahead. Nowhere near enough atm.
  • One thing in our favour is that Australia have burned all their reviews, the last one on a crazy caught behind appeal that was nowhere near anything.
  • Aussies celebrating a catch that was clearly grounded, not a good look.
  • England are just giving wickets away far too regularly. The pitch hasn't done too much and the bowling hasn't exactly been brilliant.

Just haven't been able to build any partnerships of any note.
  • Moeen Ali gone now, 229-8, 236 ahead.
  • Broad saved on review, having got a glove on the ball whilst given out lbw.
  • 250 ahead, game on.