Man City v West Ham - Wednesday 3 May 8pm

Comments

• The lads have let me down. Was hoping this would start a winning streak for me
  • edited May 2023
    Slacker said:

That can be said for most premier league clubs at their place.

It can, but look at Moyes record away against the big six. 73 games now without a win. That suggests to me that there's a mentality issue, and it feels like we go into those games already defeated.

Of course City will beat most teams they play, but some at least give them a game. We defended well for a half of football but they found a way through comfortably in the end and we never had them worried at the back.
  • Is that stat true? If so that's appalling.
  • The lads have let me down. Was hoping this would start a winning streak for me

I think you get the United game anyway. This one should never have counted.
  • I’ve not watched tonight, and I’ve not read anything about the game yet, but 3-0 with the starting XI we had seems an ok result to me.
  • An honest performance against probably the best club side in the world. Oggy and Paqueta had good games. Downes did well. Not the thumping some expected / predicted.
    Time to move onto United.
    COYI
  • Legitimately one of the most boring fixtures in the calendar
  • edited May 2023
    Overall I thought our performance was alright considering the circumstances. Ironically our ‘best’ players tonight were also the ones at fault for our goals conceded. I appreciate it’s hard to call them our best players of the evening when they were the deciding factors on why we’d lost.

Hate to be a negative Nancy but when our team/tactics clearly isn’t working, Moyes often makes a like for like switch (doesn’t seem logical).

Yet when things are working fairly well (ie where tactics should remain the same), Moyes won’t make a like for like switch (again, not logical). An example being that Antonio was having a decent game today albeit looking a little tired (as has been the case in previous matches). Had Mubama been on the bench, he would’ve been the like for like change in terms of attributes to Antonio. Ings has a very different skill set. I’m using this example not specifically for this match but generally what I’ve noticed in previous matches.
  • Hats off to our fans who made the trip.
    I’ve been there a few times and it’s not much fun to see your team outclassed, they would’ve expected it but they still went and supported the side.👏
  • edited May 2023
    alderz said:

I’ve not watched tonight, and I’ve not read anything about the game yet, but 3-0 with the starting XI we had seems an ok result to me.

An ok result, perhaps (although I don't know that a 3-0 defeat is ever ok), but as I said earlier, it was the kind of performance you'd expect to see from a lower league team having drawn City away in the cup. A dogged, defensive display but no real belief that we could affect things at the other end, and no real quality on the ball.

Paqueta was the only player who looked confident with the ball, but even that wasn't without its issues. He was almost like a Year 12 kid playing with the Year 8s at times.
  • Our U18’s play City next week in the North v South Play Off to see who qualifies for next season’s U19 Champions League. It’s at the Etihad on Wednesday evening.
  • IronHerb said:

Our U18’s play City next week in the North v South Play Off to see who qualifies for next season’s U19 Champions League. It’s at the Etihad on Wednesday evening.

Seems about right, we had to play Arsenal at the Emirates in the FA Cup and now we have to play Man City at the Etihad in the North v South Play Off.
  • edited May 2023
    So after hitting a bit ‘of form’ we have 3 defeats on the spin, conceding 9 goals. We now have Man Utd, which could easily be another. We also have injuries to Zouma & Coufal, plus the distraction of a semi-final.

Could be going into those final 3 games of the season in a better state. I think Brentford away is the biggest game of the season. We almost have to go there & win to avoid a possible ‘us or them’ lottery.

Letting in soft goals whilst being unable to string passes together is not a very good recipe for success.
  • According to Ex on Twitter the team travelled up to Manchester on Tuesday afternoon, Rice, Soucek and Aguerd starting feeling ill later in the evening but weren't ruled out until Wednesday afternoon when there wasn't time to bring any of the kids up from London
  • Yeah, Rice put something on Instagram to that effect.

So had they reacted to the initial sickness on the Tuesday there was time to bring some of the U21s up. Can't imagine it would have put a massive dent in the club's finances to have done that. Worse case scenario is they would have got to watch the game live.
  • Why would you bring the U21's into a squad when there is a bug going round?
  • edited May 2023
    IronHerb said:

Why would you bring the U21's into a squad when there is a bug going round?

Moyes would never have played them anyway in all reality, so at the end of the day wouldn’t have made any difference, so wouldn’t have been worth them making the long trip for not much more than sitting on the bench IMO
  • edited May 2023
    Ex reported that Rice & Co didn't start feeling sick until late Tuesday evening (10pm, 11pm?). What were they going to do, wake Mark Robson up and tell him to put some kids on a train/plane/Uber the next day?

They've got Spurs on Sunday so I'm sure Robson would rather they were in London for training sessions
  • Ex reported that Rice & Co didn't start feeling sick until late Tuesday evening (10pm, 11pm?). What were they going to do, wake Mark Robson up and tell him to put some kids on a train/plane/Uber the next day?

They've got Spurs on Sunday so I'm sure Robson would rather they were in London for training sessions

Yes, because it's impossible to get from London to Manchester in less than 12 hours.

Why does everything get jumped on on this site?
  • edited May 2023
    OCS..I hope you ddn't include me on that, I was more having a dig at Moyes never being brave enough to play the youngsters ( not saying last night would have been the right time ) just the fact he's not brave enough to do it in general...

But yeh, I do agree with "jumping on" ...sometimes I wanna make a comment but refrain from doing so, because I know it's not going to be popular among some/many and can't be asked to expand or justify my comment.....
  • Can we clarify who is 'jumping on'?
  • Just to say. This conversation is ok to have if people really want to, but if it gets personal or starts to get aggy I’m going to delete it all.
  • Should I put a clown picture up?
  • Hamstew said:

Should I put a clown picture up?

Never ever ever.
  • I think that 3-0 is slightly flattering as we put on a decent performance against easily the best team in the country with a makeshift line up. We held our own for quite a while and avoided a shellacking.

DM directed the correct set up and tactics against Citeh and the team performed well enough in the circumstances, however, my problem is that we are so inflexible, if Antonio was spent, was Ings the correct replacement?

He is simply not a lone wolf up top, someone said he is our fox in the box, but clearly we were incapable of getting the ball into the box.

I understand why Benny came on as he is able to run with the ball, but surely Cornet would have been a better choice.

I can see us setting up the same way against Man U, which may be forgivable but surely we have the players who can be trusted to be more adventurous against “lessor” opposition.

I am very confident that we will survive but I really want to see a fresh face in charge next season
  • Hamstew said:

Should I put a clown picture up?

Any excuse for you to put your Palace shirt on again ay Ham 😜

*Credit OCS
  • Yes, because it's impossible to get from London to Manchester in less than 12 hours.

Why does everything get jumped on on this site?

Moyes made three substitutions, left Lanzini and Cornet unused on the bench

What was the point of taking some of the kids just to sit on the bench when they could have been preparing for the Spurs game on Sunday?
  • edited May 2023
    One of the City fans gave me a load of chat this morning, I really wasn't in the mood and I really wanted to smack him in the gob. So I have put a hex on them and now want them to win absolutely nothing ever again.
  • That'll do it 😄
  • Trouble is Preston that will open the door for Liverpool ,Man U ,And heavens above Sours if they ever get there act together to win something =)