Man City v West Ham - Wednesday 3 May 8pm

I'll take on the easy thread before everyone starts scrambling for it.

A bonus game but one many are worried could harm our goal difference.

West Ham win.

Comments

• May as well have opened the United thread.

We've just been outplayed by Palace and have just three days rest before playing a City teams that is in a fight for the title.

4-0. Minimum.
  • No thank you
  • We’ll pick up a point here
  • Damage limitation, said that against Arsenal, so hoping that works.....but in reality, if we get away with anything better than a -3 goal deficit, result IMO.
  • Since I came to Turkey on Wednesday we haven’t picked up a point. But I return on Wednesday afternoon. So it will be alright as long as I don’t get delayed.
  • Play our B team .Then really have a go at Man U
  • Look we'll get nothing against City and Man United but we will pick up at least 4 points from our remaining 4 games. I'm not worried in the slightest.
  • Preston after City and Utd we will only have 3 games left not 4 and two of those are against sides even more desperate for points than us as it currently stands. By the time we play them they could be level or above us on points.
  • They won't be. Leicester play Everton, one of them is going to lose. Anyway, those teams either can't score or can't defend, we'll be fine.
  • I think this game is firmly filed in “well you never know, strange things happen in football “ section.
  • In all likelihood we’ll get stuffed. But you never know
  • Indeed you never know 🤷
  • Slacker said:

I think this game is firmly filed in “well you never know, strange things happen in football “ section.

I really admire you positivity, but in all reality, we can either have a sweepstake on how many we concede or how long it takes them to score....
    WOULD LOVE TO BE PROVED VERY VERY WRONG THO.........
  • They haven't scored more than 2 against us for 3/4 years. I'm more worried about getting thumped by Brighton or Brentford these days.
  • They haven't scored more than 2 against us for 3/4 years. I'm more worried about getting thumped by Brighton or Brentford these days.

Well we only have Brentford out of those 2 to play… Could be worse then 🤣
  • Weird isn't it, we can't buy a win against either of those, yet Forest are currently in a position to take 6 points off them inside a week
  • Look we'll get nothing against City and Man United but we will pick up at least 4 points from our remaining 4 games. I'm not worried in the slightest.

Why can't we get something against Man U?

They're not that great. ( Well, not that consistent anyway)
  • You're right Mrs Grey Man Utd aren't that great. Yet somehow they'll contrive a win, they've done it to us everytime we've played them in the last 3 or 4 years, apart from the League cup.
  • MrsGrey said:

Look we'll get nothing against City and Man United but we will pick up at least 4 points from our remaining 4 games. I'm not worried in the slightest.

Why can't we get something against Man U?

They're not that great. ( Well, not that consistent anyway)
    Well, of course we can, but we rarely do.

Like Preston says, they generally find a way to win. They never seem to play well and yet are still 4th.
  • The only way we beat them is if we get 2 quick goals. They play on the counter attack but if they concede 2 quick goals they normally go on to lose.
  • Man U have very poor away form.. so again.. you never know..
  • Moyes might be tempted to go defensive against City but we need to give it a go, if possible. May be go long in the hope of catching City, That would mean playing Antonio as a lone striker. Ings can't do that.

I don't think we have won a game where Rice, Soucek and Downes have been on the pitch. So need to avoid that combination. Fornals had a poor game against Palace but is industrious and can pick a pass. So I think Moyes will prefer him to Benaraham who has all too often neglected his defensive duties.
  • Cornet in for Benrahma. He's been a wingback so can defend and he's got the pace for a counter attack. We just need our midfielders to release the counter attack. I'd say that would mean bringing Fornals into the midfield but not sure if that would happen.
  • edited April 2023
    I know he’s been injured most of the season, but I’ve seen nothing to tell me Cornet would be the right choice against City.
  • edited April 2023
    Fornals gets the nod from me, Benrahma certainly did himself no favors this afternoon, he has quick feet and good close control but literally no composure, if we could get points doing kicky uppy, he would probably be the first name on the team sheet but……..

I think Cresswell over Emerson, his experience should hold us in good stead, please let’s not think abound Ings up top on his own, Antonio can be effective playing that role, but not Ings.

Need Rice to play a true captains role, he will be very aware that today was not his proudest moment.

My jury is still out in Cornet, needs game time but I think he is trying too hard and thus fluffs his lines, not sure that Citeh is the best exposure for him as we need someone who is likely to gain/keep possession and distribute the ball sensibly - hopefully the player that I think Paq can be, will turn up

Outside a shellacking, I am not concerned about the result, just want Citeh to know they have been in a game

COYI

• we're getting smashed, just keep it below 3-0 and we will have done well.
  • Funny thing about Benrahma is if you watch highlights he looks useful. For the Liverpool game he played a role in Paqueta’s with that nice first touch and later almost created a very good chance for Antonio. But everyone who actually watched the game was really frustrated with him. It’s like a really frustrating waiting game for the moment he produces but we have to wait because the others haven’t been producing them most of the season. That cross in from the left that’s often overhit is the most frustrating thing. I wish he could play more centrally so he didn’t have to get in those crossing positions anymore.
  • Benrahma is not good enough IMO
    HE is way too inconsistent and doesn’t make good decisions when there is one to be made, all IMO of course 👍🏻
  • edited April 2023
    Zouma getting a scan on his ankle tomorrow but obviously unlikely he'll be available.

City away at Fulham today, only injury they have at the moment is Ake with a thigh

Last time we got points at the Etihad was September 2015, 2-1, during the magical last season at the Boleyn.

Victor Moses scored the first, Sakho got a second and De Bruyne got one back for City in time added on at the end of the first half. They absolutely battered us in the 2nd half but Winston played a blinder

Pellegrini was City's manager but they signed Pep in the summer
  • We can’t rest players, we need points.

I’d go

Fabianski
    Kehrer - Ogbonna - Aguerd
    Coufal - Paqueta - Rice - Emerson
    Bowen - Benrahma
    Antonio