WHICH 3 CLUBS WILL GO DOWN

Comments

• How long until Lampard accepts he is not cut out for football management?

I think there's an issue these days with top players jumping into top managerial roles too quickly. There's been a real shift away from just being a class player being enough of a credential to make you a good manager. The likes of Tuchel, Nagelsman, Sarri, and plenty of others, have spent years developing as coaches, while the likes of Lampard and Gerrard have spent years playing, and then are suddenly expected to be able to do a job they aren't really qualified for.

I think those guys need to take time to learn the craft, either as assistants (like what Arteta did, or what John Terry is doing) or by going down the leagues to a place where they can learn away from the spotlight.

IMO, Lampard has the potential to be a good manager. But taking jobs at Chelsea and Everton aren't the way to cut your teeth.
  • He started at Derby.
  • Slacker said:

He started at Derby.

Yep
  • A perfect storm may be approaching, where we need results from the last two games - always a lottery. Leeds under Sam and Leicester under Dean Smith are tougher options than before, and the possibility that key players are injured means we'll be limping towards the finish line. Will it be the West Ham way again? ๐Ÿค”
  • Yeah, Palace was the game to secure our status I think. Now it's looking very possible that we'll lose four on the bounce going into the ECL semis and the Brentford and Leeds game.

Injuries adding up and form going down are not a good combination, and playing two relegation rivals in the last two games is far from ideal.

That said, barring an absolute shellacking from United, we effectively have a five point lead over Leeds and Forest, and a six point lead over Everton. They'll do well to close that gap given their remaining fixtures, and I'm counting Southampton as already gone.

So we may have enough as it is, but it's important that we get something from the next two games to give us a bit more breathing room going into Leeds and Leicester.

• The bank holiday Monday games are going to be key if we haven't got anything from United.
  • edited May 2023
    So a quick prediction based loosely on current form and I have us safe, even without picking up another point. Southampton, Everton and Leeds going down.

But there's scope for some unexpected results at this stage of the season. Mid-table teams, or teams already qualified for Europe may have one foot already on the beach, and all it could take is for Everton and/or Leeds to pick up one unexpected win each and we could be in trouble if we can't find the necessary points in our games.

Wolves
    Villa (H) - 1
    United (A) - 0
    Everton (H) - 3
    Arsenal (A) - 0

41 points

Leicester
    Fulham (A) - 1
    Liverpool (H) - 0
    Newcastle (A) - 0
    West Ham (H) - 3

34 points

Leeds
    City (A) - 0
    Newcastle (H) - 0
    West Ham (A) - 1
    Spurs (H) - 1

32 points

Forest
    Southampton (H) - 3
    Chelsea (A) - 1
    Arsenal (H) - 0
    Palace (A) - 1

35 points

Everton
    Brighton (A) - 0
    City (H) - 0
    Wolves (A) - 0
    Bournemouth (H) - 3

32 points

Southampton
    Forest (A) - 0
    Fulham (H) - 3
    Brighton (A) - 0
    Liverpool (H) - 0

27 points
  • Because you've done it, I've done it too.

I think we'll beat Leeds. They've been getting absolutely smashed recently (they conceded 24 goals in 7 games in April), and I know they've changed manager but I can't see them not getting smashed by City and Newcastle. That'll be 1 point in 8 coming into the game against us, and I think we'll beat them.

West Ham
    Man Utd (H) - D; Brentford (A) - L; Leeds (H) - W; Leicester (A) - L
    15th, 38pts

Everton
    Brighton (A) - L; Man City (H) - L; Wolves (A) - W; Bournemouth (H) - W
    16th, 35pts

Leicester
    Fulham (A) - D; Liverpool (H) - L; Newcastle (A) - L; West Ham (H) - W
    17th, 34pts

Forest
    Southampton (H) - W; Chelsea (A) - L; Arsenal (H); L; Palace (A) - D
    18th, 34pts

Leeds
    Man City (A) - L; Newcastle (H) - L; West Ham (A) - L; Spurs (H) - D
    19th, 31pts

Southampton
    Forest (A) - L; Fulham (H) - W; Brighton (A) - D; Liverpool (H) - W
    20th, 28pts
  • Opta / The Analyst has us and Bournemouth safe, and isn't even including us in their relegation model anymore.

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/05/who-will-be-relegated-from-the-premier-league-in-2022-23/
  • I think I said that in September. ๐Ÿ˜‚
  • edited May 2023
    IronHerb said:

I think I said that in September. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Herb finally reveals he's the reincarnation of Mystic Meg. =)
  • I would tend agree that we will be safe. Leeds are now the unknown as Sam could have a bounce and easily pick up points from ourselves and Spurs, where as I think they were doomed before the change.

Logically it I feel he wont make any difference and longer term most certainly not should he stay but all they need is a four match bounce to try and find five or six points.
  • I would tend agree that we will be safe. Leeds are now the unknown as Sam could have a bounce and easily pick up points from ourselves and Spurs, where as I think they were doomed before the change.

Logically it I feel he wont make any difference and longer term most certainly not should he stay but all they need is a four match bounce to try and find five or six points.

If their run in was a little easier then I may have been on board but given who they are facing, I think Leeds are doomed,

Southampton, Leeds and Forest for me
  • I'd rather Everton than one of Leeds / Forest
  • I'd rather Everton than one of Leeds / Forest

Given that Soton are gone imo, I'd really like to see Everton and now, because of Allardyce, Leeds go down. If we're safe on the final day I wouldn't be too upset if we lost to Leicester if it would relegate those two teams.
  • I realise beggars can't be choosers, and we shouldn't really be in this position, but ho hum, I wish three other teams than us and Southampton could be relegated for varying reasons - Everton because it's Everton, Forest because of their scattergun transfer policy which Chelsea adopted and for Steve Cooper for what he said about us earlier in the season plus Leeds now they have the top manager in Europe in charge, well they do according to the man himself.
  • I think the problem Sam will come up against is that I don't think Leeds have the players. Everton and Leicester, much like ourselves, have under performing players so a new manager could in theory motivate and organise them differently. Sadly for Sam Leeds lack quality.
  • This:
    "Forest because of Steve Cooper for what he said about us earlier in the season"
  • What do cooper say about us?
  • edited May 2023
    NOT WEST HAM ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

(in answer to the question in the thread title).
  • edited May 2023
    So we could be safe after tomorrows matches depending how they turn out. I know we virtually are now but results can get silly this time of year. Should they go our way we can really forget about the league and bring everything to the cup.

At present
    Southampton can't catch us
    Leeds to need win all three matches and us lose all three with a turnaround of 13 in goal difference in the process.
    If Brighton beat Everton at home tomorrow, Everton would need win all three remaining fixtures and us lose ours. As one is City that's not likely.
    Forest should beat Soton tomorrow but have Chelsea, Arsenal and Palace after that so I just can's see them getting 5 points from those three matches.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64985188

Gracenote suggesting 37 points has 100% chance of safety?
  • Iโ€™ve been saying for months that 36 would do it
  • edited May 2023
    It's so tight that one result has changed Everton's prospects entirely. We in my view are probably safe and it would take some extraordinary results to prevent that. We will play a big role in who does go down however with matches against Leeds and Leicester, games they will be targeting for three valuable points.

I think Leeds will go down but not sure of the other three. I could easily see a scenario in which Forest and Leicester both lose their next two matches leaving it all on the final match with Leicester needing three points against us and Palace to beat Forest to allow their goal difference to keep them up.
  • If we're safe and have a cup final to look forward to Leicester are 100% beating us.
  • I can see leicester getting a result against Liverpool for some reason.
    Forest, Leeds, Southampton to go down for me. Id love to see Everton go down but that result the weekend has probably done enough, as they have Bournemouth last game of the season.
  • As long as Forest goes down I'll be happy.
  • I think Iโ€™d like Leicester and any other to go. Leicester feel, to me, the most likely to get it together and be good next season. Forest, Bournemouth, Leeds, Everton, Fulham, Sheffield United and the playoff winner will hopefully be the bottom 7 next season.
  • I don't get the 'non love' for Forest. They have done remarkably well this season considering the changes they made.

Everton and Leicester along with Southampton will do for me.
  • Alderz, Can you guarantee that Everton will be relegated next season? =) Who else is going this year with Leicester City & Southampton?