WHICH 3 CLUBS WILL GO DOWN

Comments

• Who are the Robins?

Vets.

Sorry I thought you said Robbers.

• Slacker said:

Maybe someone will go on a six or seven game winning run. Somebody usually goes crackers at this time of the season, we’ve done it.⚒

Hopefully it will be Steve with the match threads =)
  • Two theories exist as to why Bournemouth are the Cherries

1) they wore "cherry red" and white striped shirts
    2) Dean Court had a number of cherry orchards nearby

Swindon Town and Bristol City are both known as the Robins because they wear red shirts
  • Two theories exist as to why Bournemouth are the Cherries

1) they wore "cherry red" and white striped shirts
    2) Dean Court had a number of cherry orchards nearby

Swindon Town and Bristol City are both known as the Robins because they wear red shirts

And because of the robins on their club badge
  • But it's unlikely you would have had a robin on your badge if you wore a blue shirt.
  • IronHerb said:

But it's unlikely you would have had a robin on your badge if you wore a blue shirt.

They could be the blue tits.
    What came first the badge or the shirt?
  • edited March 2023
    Both teams were called the Robins before they had a robin on their badge

The first record of Swindon being called the Robins was 1902 but they didn't have a robin on their badge until 1921

In 1900 Bristol City were nicknamed the Garibaldians but there are records of them being called the Robins in the 1930s. The robin badge first appeared in 1949
  • Garibaldians? Did they have a biscuit on their badge?
  • Somehow this has become a history lesson on clubs nicknamed the Robins when all I asked was who are the Robins IH thought would be relegated from the PL. 😁
  • Everyday on here is an opportunity to learn 🤓👨‍🎓
  • I think we can tell that there’s no football on atm………
  • At school we were called the eagles ,can't remember why ,and don't know why I would post it ,I do remember scoring twice in one game and I was the left back ,.....good times =)
  • Steve you were positively flying..
  • Del Boy, “we had a good team. We had camaraderie.”
    Trigger, “was that the Italian boy?”
  • edited March 2023
    Hamstew said:

Garibaldians? Did they have a biscuit on their badge?

Giuseppe Garibaldi was an Italian general who led a thousand revolutionaries wearing red shirts during the Italian Wars of Independence.

Nottingham Forest's shirts are described as Garibaldi Red

Apparently Peek Freans named the biscuit after him in 1861
  • Actually I think it was Nice that had a biscuit on their badge.
  • edited March 2023
    Oh I thought it was Florentina 😜🧥
  • Canaries, Owls, Swans, Bluebirds are some more birds in our national game..bt who are the Red Beards?
  • Ironduke said:

Canaries, Owls, Swans, Bluebirds are some more birds in our national game..bt who are the Red Beards?

Magpies?
  • The Robins also applies to Hull Kingston Rovers rugby league team due to white shirt with rad band across the chest.

Posted due to lack of association football
  • West Bromwich Albion are the Throstles

Throstle is an old English word for a song thrush. WBA have had a throstle on their badge since the late 1880s allegedly because the pub which the team used as a changing room had a song thrush in a cage

Another old name for a song thrush is a Mavis
  • It used to say "I don't really know Vera" quite regularly. Hahaha
  • West Bromwich Albion are the Throstles

Throstle is an old English word for a song thrush. WBA have had a throstle on their badge since the late 1880s allegedly because the pub which the team used as a changing room had a song thrush in a cage

Another old name for a song thrush is a Mavis

Both of which are more poetic than its scientific name: Turdus philomelos

=)
  • edited March 2023
    I don't know.. I've always found philomel quite poetic sounding, reminds me of Shakespeare - it's another name for nightingale and is invoked
    in the fairies' song in act 2 of A Midsummer Night's Dream, when they are singing Titania to sleep. 'Philomel with melody, sing in our sweet lullaby'

:-)
  • #learning
  • Still doesn’t answer my question of who did IH think were the robins being relegated from the PL this season. I’m intrigued as there may have been a subtle change in one of the clubs names I hadn’t heard of.
  • I'm intrigued too as I haven't made any comment on who is going down.🤔
  • It was I, the starter of things to come, I mistakenly mistook the wrong "nic" for Bournemouth, Robins is a shorter word...it is the way! I have spoken.
  • So who are the Batmans? Valencia perhaps?
  • edited March 2023
    MrsGrey said:

I don't know.. I've always found philomel quite poetic sounding, reminds me of Shakespeare - it's another name for nightingale and is invoked
    in the fairies' song in act 2 of A Midsummer Night's Dream, when they are singing Titania to sleep. 'Philomel with melody, sing in our sweet lullaby'

:-)

Ah, The Greek Connection advantage =)