Couldn't think - from Dec 2022

Comments

• @alderz, I bit like the way football was played in the 1970's?

Maybe? I have very little memory of the 70s and how football was played, because I was born in 1989
  • Then I recommend The Big Match Revisited.

• edited August 2023
    @alderz, What I meant by that was less teams in the major tournaments, European Cup - Champions only normally, European Cup Winners Cup for just the domestic cup winners (FA Cup) and the Uefa Cup for the League Cup winners and a couple of spots from Division One. They did play five games before the end of August and three games over Easter back then though.

World Cup had less teams in it and the Club World Cup didn't exist.
  • @alderz, What I meant by that was less teams in the major tournaments, European Cup - Champions only normally, European Cup Winners Cup for just the domestic cup winners (FA Cup) and the Uefa Cup for the League Cup winners and a couple of spots from Division One.
    World Cup had less teams in it and the Club World Cup didn't exist.

Yeah, maybe. I think that is perhaps too far away from where we are, but I do think a reduction in games and an increase in time off is sort of necessary.
  • The World Cup is just ridiculous now, expanding it to 40 teams is completely unnecessary especially as it upsets the natural 4 team group (they've even ditched their stupid 3 team groups already) as 3 will go through from some groups, and only 2 from others. The really crazy thing is that some FIFA guys want to hold it every 2 years instead of 4.
  • But Varane also said that by not being allowed to berate the officials the passion is reduced, or words to that effect.
  • buffy, It's just a ploy to ensure Infantino gets the support of the lesser nations.
  • buffy, It's just a ploy to ensure Infantino gets the support of the lesser nations.

For sure, doesn't mean it's right though. Personally I can't stand the man.
  • Great little story.
    I hope the lad makes it.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/66444368
  • Anyone else having Cloudflare issues today?
  • Anyone else having Cloudflare issues today?

Is that what it was? It took me some time to get on this site.
  • Yes Buffy, not working for a couple of minutes, then it came back and now fine.
  • Mine blipped out for a minute this morning; notification said Cloudflare was ok, but site couldn't be reached.

I was panicking!

Had to check I'd remembered to put a shilling in the meter this month!
  • mike said:

Great little story.
    I hope the lad makes it.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/66444368

Mike 👍🏻Well worth a watch, let’s hope he makes it to the 1st team ⚒️
  • edited August 2023
    So fresh-faced! Hope he does well.

Made me 😂 though.

"Eight is one of my favourite numbers."

Like, what are your other ones? And which is your very favourite?

Thanks for posting the link, jay.

• So MrsGrey, you've finally got a picture/emoji/avatar/thinggyme/give up don't know what you call it. =)
    ps. it was Mike who posted the link. ;)
  • Was just trying to see what would upload, cos previous attempts failed. 'picture size too big'
  • Mike, sorry. Wasn't paying enough attention.
  • On the topic of food - is there any place near Stratford station that I can go have breakfast with two kids? I'd love a full English but I'm not so sure about the kids. We have a tour booked for 11 and if the kids don't eat beforehand it will be a lomg tour. 🙈
  • On the topic of food - is there any place near Stratford station that I can go have breakfast with two kids? I'd love a full English but I'm not so sure about the kids. We have a tour booked for 11 and if the kids don't eat beforehand it will be a lomg tour. 🙈

If you don’t want a standard cafe for a full English then you’re probably looking at Westfield, though there are coffee shops in Hackney Wick or around here
    https://goo.gl/maps/9AeA8vdp9JUtYFt56

Depends what kind of thing you’re looking for but the area immediately around the stadium isn’t really bustling. Quite nice for a walk on a sunny day though.
  • There are loads of places in Westfield (can google Westfield Stratford Breakfast) but all perhaps rather 'coffee bar' ish. Croissants etc

You could try/research some of the budget-friendly local hotels. They often allow non-residents to go for breakfast, and are often quite family friendly so allow variety ... full English plus kids' type options. eg Holiday Inn.

Where are you coming in from (direction)?

• John Lewis in Westfield restaurant will do a variety of breakfasts.
  • edited August 2023

John Lewis

... and toilets!

Probably not a big thing for you, but I'm nowadays very keen to know where clean, free, nice public toilets are available.

If you are i.c. kids, you might need to know same. Room for organising small people, facilities for hand washing and drying, etc.

Good luck 😊👍
  • Are you on an England expedition?
  • MrsGrey said:

Are you on an England expedition?

Kind of. We came over on the ferry that got diverted because of the suspected food poisoning (albeit a week earlier), spent the past week with my aunt in Penzance and are now going to go through the London sights. Back home again on Sunday.
  • Not sure why, but when each Band member died I felt a real loss, as if it were family almost. Only big silent Garth Hudson left now...
  • edited August 2023
    i know there was a West Ham Women's team thread but i can't find it. Lord knows what category it was put in ..

But anyway,

https://www.whufc.com/video/player/0_p2idlphd?feed=3ed927a9-48ea-4e79-8592-468e0a175ea9&section=6ca42eaf-56cc-41b1-922e-60531cb1b429

Only West ham fan in the village (nearly).

Nice little insight into what goes on behind the scenes.
This discussion has been closed.