Couldn't think - from Dec 2022

Comments

• Buffy ,your right need to get that out of my system ,Before it eats me up
  • Absolutely but you can’t watch or read Sky Sports News without 50% of the articles being about him.
  • He is only saying what a few of us believe to be in the case playing under David Moyes.
  • Sick already of hearing Rice bang on about how he sees football in a totally different way now he’s at Arsenal. He feels like he’s been there years etc etc etc.
    he’s played about 1 hour’s football so far.

He was a proud Irishman right up until England came calling.

West Ham were the best club in the world right up until Arteta got in his ear whilst we were in a relegation battle.

A touch flippant, and it's easy to be cynical when you've been burnt. He's very PR savvy and I guess he's got to be seen to be saying the right thing, but it's quite galling to see him so 'at home' already after all the posturing about what a special place West Ham is.
  • edited July 2023
    Most footballers are full of nonsense I take what they say with a pinch of salt.
  • Funny but when West Ham players came out and spoke about things, especially after a defeat, it was said to be all down to the PR/Media team coaching them. Rice comes out and says something and it's all down to him. 🤷‍♂️

He is media savvy and is also endearing himself to a new club. It's hardly surprising.
  • Sick already of hearing Rice bang on about how he sees football in a totally different way now he’s at Arsenal. He feels like he’s been there years etc etc etc.
    he’s played about 1 hour’s football so far.

I saw the title, instantly got irritated and decided I wouldnt read. Good for him sucking up to the Arsenal. His departure leaves me apathetic to say the least
  • I thought the "Declan Rice departs West Ham United" thread was closed because we'd had enough of talking about him

Maybe the thread should be reopened as clearly some of us still have something to say
  • Given that the Croydon tram crash is in the news again, I wonder if ASLEF could answer a question for me.

It's clear that the tram was going way too fast, and that the curve that caused the derailment was very sharp and had a low speed limit. In this day and age, surely it should be possible for trams (and similarly trains and tube-trains) to be able to have automatic over-rides fitted and programmed such that if said vehicle passes a 20mph activation point at faster than that speed then the brakes are triggered. This could be done in stages, such as a 30mph activation point and a 40mph activation point further up the track, to avoid the need for extreme braking should the vehicle be travelling much faster than is safe.
  • It would be perfectly feasible for trams to be fitted with automatic train protection (ATP) that would activate emergency brakes if trams were over the speed limit in sections but when the contract to build the network was awarded in 1996 it wasn't considered necessary

We have ATP on every Tube line apart from the Piccadilly and Bakerloo where the trains were built in the 1970s and the signal systems are basically unchanged since the 1950s

Retro-fitting ATP across the tram network would cost billions and TfL (who took over the trams in 2008) simply can't afford the upgrade

A more important question is why was a tram driver so fatigued that they fell asleep "on the handle"

This was the first major incident on the Croydon trams in 16 years so to me this is a failure of shift management rather than a failure of the system
  • Aslef do you work for TfL? Underground?
  • Thanks for that ASLEF.

I'm surprised it wasn't included in something as recent as the mid 90s if the technology was there, and, tbh, surprised that it would cost quite so much to retrofit given the tram network is basically just 2 lines isn't it, and they share some sections of track as well? How many low speed bends are there on the 2 lines?
  • edited July 2023
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jul/28/oscar-chinese-super-league-saudi-boom-era

Another bravura performance from Barney Ronay.

Some parts made me laugh out loud at the extravagant imagery. :p

Some parts I wasn't sure what he was going on about. O.o

But mostly I'm just loving something different from all that dreary, dreadful vanity blogging and semi-literate nonsense masquerading as journalism.

• So, Chelsea cooked the books between 2012 and 2019 . And have been sanctioned by UEFA.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jul/28/chelsea-pay-uefa-10m-as-incomplete-financial-reporting-sanction#

In that time they won the Champions League and 2 Europa Leagues.

Why are they not being stripped of their titles?
  • UEFA FFP possible sanctions
    Reprimand
    Fines
    Points deduction
    Withholding of revenue from a UEFA competition
    Prohibition to register new players for UEFA competitions
    Restrictions on how many players a club can register for UEFA competitions
    Disqualification from a competition in progress
    Exclusion from future competitions

Premier League FFP possible sanctions
    Compensation
    Cancel or refuse registration of players
    Conditional punishment
    The order for matches to be replayed
    Points deductions
    Suspension of club
    Expulsion of club
    Order the club pay costs
    Other order as is deemed fit

https://metro.co.uk/2023/02/06/what-is-financial-fair-play-and-what-punishments-can-clubs-face-18230784/
  • edited July 2023
    So in both systems, they get to keep their trophies. That's crazy, isn't it.

Can't understand why other clubs don't challenge that.

I guess it's all about the money. Rather than the silverware.
  • MrsGrey said:

So in both systems, they get to keep their trophies. That's crazy, isn't it.

Can't understand why other clubs don't challenge that.

I guess it's all about the money. Rather than the silverware.

The silverware isn’t really important though. You take away the titles, they’ll have still had those moments. They’ll still have benefited from the prestige at the time. They need kicking out of the league, and the owners that break financial rules need criminal charges.
  • Fair point
    I was thinking that the silverware goes onto the record and later on everyone forgets that a particular cup/title was tainted.
    I suppose ' the moments ' can't be taken away whatever later punishments are imposed.

I was sort of making a mental comparison with Olympic doping scandals, and how at least the dodgy competitors are stripped of their medals.

You are right, the subsequent 'medallists' often talk of how they missed out on the jubilation and celebration of the moment. So to the athletes, that's a big thing.

Maybe in football, dodgy goings on have been relatively rare ( or not picked up, anyway), especially since ffp, so clubs and players haven't given it too much thought. If it's going to be a thing, I can see pressure likely to change the list of sanctions.
  • Hamstew said:

Aslef do you work for TfL? Underground?

Both. London Underground is a subsidiary of TfL although I started working for London Underground in 1997 before TfL existed

Thanks for that ASLEF.

I'm surprised it wasn't included in something as recent as the mid 90s if the technology was there, and, tbh, surprised that it would cost quite so much to retrofit given the tram network is basically just 2 lines isn't it, and they share some sections of track as well? How many low speed bends are there on the 2 lines?

I've just read that TfL awarded a contract for the design and installation of an automatic braking system to the Croydon trams in 2018 as a result of the Sandilands crash.

The contract went to Engineering Support Group Ltd in Derby (owned by Deutsche Bahn) and the project was suppose to be completed by the end of 2019 although I can't find any mention of how much it cost or details of how it works

Trams generally have simpler systems than trains and Croydon was the first tram network in the UK to have an automatic braking system. Also note that ESG Ltd had to develop a system, suggesting that there wasn't an existing system used in other countries that was suitable
  • I see that Fiorentina look likely to be joining us in the Europa League after Juventus are thrown out by Uefa for breaching FFP rules. The Italian FA to make the final choice.
  • I see that Fiorentina look likely to be joining us in the Europa League after Juventus are thrown out by Uefa for breaching FFP rules. The Italian FA to make the final choice.

Not quite. Juve got thrown out of the Conference and Fiorentina are likely to replace them in that. We'll beat them in the final again.
  • Aslef yeah was just asking if you was the underground part. I also work for TfL but for surface.
  • Retro-fitting ATP across the tram network would cost billions and TfL (who took over the trams in 2008) simply can't afford the upgrade

I mistyped, should have been millions not billions

Just found a BBC report from 22 October 2019 which says trackside sensors monitor speeds and apply the brakes if trams are going too fast so I guess the system uses radio signals or microwave to communicate. Also mentions the difficulty in retro fitting a new system onto 20 year old trams

Another problem is part of the routes are shared with other road users (buses, cars, etc,) and fitting sensors on those sections might be difficult
  • Juve requested not being part of the comp be part of their punishment 🤣
  • Retro-fitting ATP across the tram network would cost billions and TfL (who took over the trams in 2008) simply can't afford the upgrade

I mistyped, should have been millions not billions

Just found a BBC report from 22 October 2019 which says trackside sensors monitor speeds and apply the brakes if trams are going too fast so I guess the system uses radio signals or microwave to communicate. Also mentions the difficulty in retro fitting a new system onto 20 year old trams

Another problem is part of the routes are shared with other road users (buses, cars, etc,) and fitting sensors on those sections might be difficult
    I thought billions was a bit excessive.

I also read a few articles yesterday, mention of the contract award for retrofitting, and a couple of things saying a system for the worst sections (what I initially was thinking about) would be fitted by the end of 2019, but very little if anything at all actually confirming it has been successfully completed, and no mention at all that I could find of the likely cost.

Apart from those few articles, mostly from 2019, there's next to no information out there, is there? Given that this has all been in the news again recently you'd have thought that some mention, even in passing, of the new system (alongside improvements to staff welfare/shift patterns etc) would have been made to show that recommendations from the accident investigation have been acted upon.
  • edited July 2023
    https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/trams/croydon-tram-derailment?intcmp=43907

Says all recommendations implemented.

Including automatic braking, plus in-cab systems for detecting driver distraction or fatigue.
  • Unfortunately I don't know anyone in the ASLEF Tramlink branch otherwise I could ask them what if anything happened
This discussion has been closed.