Couldn't think - from Dec 2022

Comments

• She was, but there was a pretty big fanfare. The way she and FGRs chairman were speaking made it sound like it was some ground-breaking, game-changing appointment, when in fact she seems to have been replaced by a man at the first available opportunity.

Maybe it's me being cynical, but it does feel like it was just done for the headlines.
  • mike said:

Why was that IH if you don't mind me asking?

I just thought it was one for the kids more than myself.
  • They have a thread on KUMB about the photos with the CL trophy.
    Posts say they were using a club photographer but that's stopped and now they are just taking photos on your phone.
    Booked for tomorrow morning but not sure whether to go or not.
  • mike said:

They have a thread on KUMB about the photos with the CL trophy.
    Posts say they were using a club photographer but that's stopped and now they are just taking photos on your phone.
    Booked for tomorrow morning but not sure whether to go or not.

I knew there were some young'uns on here. 😉
  • She was, but there was a pretty big fanfare. The way she and FGRs chairman were speaking made it sound like it was some ground-breaking, game-changing appointment, when in fact she seems to have been replaced by a man at the first available opportunity.

Maybe it's me being cynical, but it does feel like it was just done for the headlines.

Maybe. But sometimes a story writes itself, and journalists ask questions that take things a certain way. Loads of clubs use their academy manager as a caretaker when they need one. This situation is fairly unique, and it would always be commented on, IMO.
  • alderz said:

She was, but there was a pretty big fanfare. The way she and FGRs chairman were speaking made it sound like it was some ground-breaking, game-changing appointment, when in fact she seems to have been replaced by a man at the first available opportunity.

Maybe. But sometimes a story writes itself, and journalists ask questions that take things a certain way. Loads of clubs use their academy manager as a caretaker when they need one. This situation is fairly unique, and it would always be commented on, IMO.
    The owner is more about his green credentials than the football by the look of it. Was Duncan Ferguson really the man to get a struggling League One team out of a relegation situation? I don't think so, but it got plenty of coverage.
  • Yeah the Duncan Ferguson appointment was bizarre, and obviously ended up terribly. I think the owner loves his own voice (not to say I don't agree with a fair amount of what he says), and yes, he loves the publicity.
  • She wasn’t hired as she was already there. She was asked to step in temporarily.
  • That wasn't the narrative when she was appointed.
  • edited July 2023
    Yeah, I feel they made more of it than was actually there. Dingley said at the time:

"I'm really excited for this next step of my career. Pre-season has just begun, and the full season kicks off very soon. It's an exciting time in football. I am grateful for the opportunity to step up and lead such a progressive and forward-thinking club."

Dale Vince said:

" Hannah was the natural choice for us to be first team interim head coach - she's done a fantastic job leading our academy and is well aligned with the values of the club. It's perhaps telling for the men's game that in making this appointment on merit, we'll break new ground - and Hannah will be the first female head coach in English [men's] football."

A lot of talking up of what was essentially a two-week spell. If anything, I feel like it almost undermines the progression of women coaches getting involved in the men's game.
  • Don’t know what state our pitch might be in come our first home game. The stadium is hosting this summer baseball, athletics, concerts, monster truck event and a bizarre chicken wing festival.
    All this doesn’t leave much time for the ground staff to work on it.
  • Chicken wings you say =)
  • Just watching Crawley v Palace game. How is Eze a palace player.
  • Knew it

• No chance. Crawley are my local team.
  • Hamstew said:

Just watching Crawley v Palace game. How is Eze a palace player.

Palace’s recruitment in the last few years has been very good. Picking up exciting players from the championship and growing then into PL players.
  • Hamstew said:

Just watching Crawley v Palace game. How is Eze a palace player.

Because we choose to go for Benrahma instead?

• It was reported at the time that Moyes wanted Eze but we couldn't make a move until we sold a player. By the time we had the money Eze had gone to Palace.

Glad we've learned from that... 🙃
  • Thanks OCS I had forgotten that was the real story, I knew there was a reason.
  • yes, both he and Olise are decent (as in I'd like 'em)
  • Trevor Francis has died only 69 ,loved watching him play RIP
  • mike said:
    Seems ok from reports, hope so. Always liked Shaka!
  • Sledge managed to score us a couple of complimentary tickets to Birmingham v West Ham many years ago when his daughter was with their womens team. I was under strict instruction to pretend to be a Brum fan. We were supposed to meet people in the 'Trevor Francis Suite' but like a muppet I asked the Steward/Bouncer for directions to the Trevor Brooking suite by mistake. =)
  • AZ Alkmaar given a one match European closed door penalty for the violence at the West Ham game but have suspended it for 2 years. Our away fan ban for the trouble at the Florentine game stands as far as I can see
  • It will be years by the time it gets to court.
  • Apparently he's already put his shares in a family trust, so it won't affect Spurs.
  • Sick already of hearing Rice bang on about how he sees football in a totally different way now he’s at Arsenal. He feels like he’s been there years etc etc etc.
    he’s played about 1 hour’s football so far.
  • Tbh I'm no more interested in him than any other player at another club ie not at all, so haven't read or watched anything about him since he left.
This discussion has been closed.