Couldn't think - from Dec 2022

Comments

• Lukerz said:

No reference to Rob Newman, who is our Head of Recruitment. Does this mean he is off?

They're slightly different roles imo, so I'd have thought they would work together.
  • Ahhhhhh this brings back memories

Franny Lee, Charlie George, Archie Gemmil, Colin Todd and Kevin Hector at Derby County

With proper handbags from Lee and Norman Hunter
  • IronHerb said:

Or 'Junkies on Bikes' as I like to call it.

They're on speed

coat please =)
  • 6000 posts per day.
    That seems like a lot. Are people routinely reading more than that?
  • 6,000 posts does seem like a lot but you have to pay for verification. I could see some who use it professionally hitting that, for example for investigations.

I could definitely see myself hitting 600 during certain periods when I’m monitoring something happening.
  • Oh ok, I hadn't thought of the whole professional aspect.
    I was just thinking of how much time you'd be on social media and what better uses of your time there are

But for work, yeah. I can see that.
  • 6000 over 12 hours is 500 per hour, who on earth has time to read 500 tweets an hour for 12 hours?

Is his aim simply to get more people become verified?
  • It’s not about reading though, if you’re also scrolling past tweets you aren’t reading then does that eat into that allowance?
  • The reference to scraping makes me think that.

Strikes me as something that will be a problem for disinformation research. They'll often pull thousands of tweets on a particular topic to try and work out what propaganda is being pushed, how and by who. This will stop that.

I don't think the 6,000 is the real issue in most cases though, it's the 600 limit for people who aren't paying for Twitter.
  • Admins 👊🏿

Do you know what the size limit is for uploading photos please
  • Love West Ham? Love Beer? Need some fresh garms?

⤵️

• Love love island?
  • Ravel49 said:

Admins 👊🏿

No. But I can try to find out. Somehow.
  • Thank u Mrs G
    Not urgent at all
    Just so I know what size to crop photos too 🤗
  • Ravel49 said:

Admins 👊🏿

I think it may be member name restricted =)
  • 🤣🤣🤣

I’m surprised I am not blocked 🚫
    Especially after the #hippo era
  • Anyone read anything about when our pre-season training starts? Our first game is a week today so I assume it will have to be tomorrow or Wednesday.
  • https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/i-went-no-fear-nothing-30379452

A nice piece on one of our women's team players. Izzy Atkinson, making it into the Irish WC squad...
  • edited July 2023
    FIFA are trialling a new offside rule, where the ENTIRE attacking player has to be offside for it to be called offside. Which, to me, seems very dumb. You'll still have the same issue of drawing lines on VAR to see if there's even a bit of the striker onside, teams will just drop deeper and deeper to avoid being caught out, and it feels like it will be a massive advantage for all strikers, which sort of ruins the balance of the game, IMO.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/fifa-offside-rule-premier-league-568949-20230701

So, in the example below, this would be onside.

• That change to the offside rule is going to make no difference.
  • MrsGrey said:

That change to the offside rule is going to make no difference.

I assume you mean in respect of VAR use and tight calls, in which case I agree! If you mean wider than that, I think it will make a pretty massive difference in how teams defend and attack.
  • MrsGrey said:

That change to the offside rule is going to make no difference.

Indeed, you still have to draw the lines somewhere.
  • Yes, sorry. Tight calls.
  • Unless their aim is not to support VAR but to increase goals per game.
  • Where and when is this being trialled, not in the PL next season I hope?
  • I read it’s in a couple of youth tournaments in Netherlands and (I think) Italy over the summer, in order to role out everywhere for the 2023/24 season.
  • Thanks alderz
  • A lot of talk about club loyalty and how few Nobles and Gerrards there are nowadays. I think we need to acknowledge the dangers in being confined to a small seaside town for too long.

This discussion has been closed.